Final Fantasy XIII

Barfy

I kind of undersatnd what you mean, but in ff10 going after the dark aeons and penance was virtually another game in itself, and ff7 with Ruby & Emerald. I think it's just after the anticipation, it's not what I was hoping for. If I was able to avoid comparing it to earlier games and just play it for what it is I'd probably have no complaints, but....

I did re-start yesterday as I got to the end of chapter 9, and I was stuck, retried countless times, but just hadn't developed things in the right way to even get close to winning.

I'm in chapter 7 and all my characters have full crystariums, does it get harder to get CP from here on?

I'm in chapter 7 and all my characters have full crystariums, does it get harder to get CP from here on?

when you say full crystarium, at what level is that? at the end of chapter 9 I hadn't quite managed to fill up all of the level 3 crystarium (which is probably why I had no chance at the end of said chapter!).

Also, how are people dealing with weapon modifications, I've been doing it quite randomly, and I'm wondering if this is causing my parties to be a bit weaker than they should too?

Edited by Barfy

in chapter 10 the crystarium fully opens and you can start assigning your characters different roles - e.g. lightning can become a sentinel, snow could become a medic and so on............

Im at chapter 11 now, it opens up a lot and you can start doing optional missions on the side. The crystarium is horrible now though in terms of cp required to pass from node to node, 4000 cp per move and im getting about 1000-3000 points per battle and all battles are kind of difficult.

Whats keeping you at the end of chapter 9 Barfy, the boss at the end? My team for it was lightning, sazh and vanille, i started off med/syn/sab, and once they were buffed up went to com/rav/rav on the additional structures. If destrudo keeps on killing you, focus on attacking when he is building the attack up, he flinches and the eventual result is nowhere near as powerful.

Whats keeping you at the end of chapter 9 Barfy, the boss at the end? My team for it was lightning, sazh and vanille, i started off med/syn/sab, and once they were buffed up went to com/rav/rav on the additional structures. If destrudo keeps on killing you, focus on attacking when he is building the attack up, he flinches and the eventual result is nowhere near as powerful.

I only got to the stage he was building to his big attack, but I took the chance to heall and get the synergyst to work. Never managed to get there again :(

Restarting isn't so bad though :) I just need to work out the weapon mod. system properly. Did you heavily modify the earlier weapons? or use resources more sparingly on the later weapons?

I only got to the stage he was building to his big attack, but I took the chance to heall and get the synergyst to work. Never managed to get there again :(

Restarting isn't so bad though :) I just need to work out the weapon mod. system properly. Did you heavily modify the earlier weapons? or use resources more sparingly on the later weapons?

To be honest i hadnt done much weapon modding, most weapons were level 3-4. Theres quite a lot of room for levelling characters up before you get into the fight at the end of the chapter just try to get near the crystarium limit, took me about 4 attempts to take him too.

Chapter 11 is killing me all over the place now, this is definately the hardest FF in terms of battles and such.

To be honest i hadnt done much weapon modding, most weapons were level 3-4. Theres quite a lot of room for levelling characters up before you get into the fight at the end of the chapter just try to get near the crystarium limit, took me about 4 attempts to take him too.

Chapter 11 is killing me all over the place now, this is definately the hardest FF in terms of battles and such.

the battels are definitely one of this games best points. Even at earlier chapters with weaker enemies I've found that if you make the wrong decision at the start of the battle, you can be playing catch for the rest of the battle leaving you no chance of 5 stars!

I 've got a good stock of weapon modding stuff, so might have play with that later to see what I can do. Might just focus on Lightning first though.

woo hoo got past chapter 9 this morning, was worth restarting and thinking more carefully about the crystarium. As for weapon modding I've only really improved Lightning's to any great extent (can't remember which one) which is up to level 20 now, I can't work out whether it's worth modding accessories though.

Since sorting out how I'm using the crystarium, I've also got much more effective paradigm set ups too, so getting more 5 stars at the end of battles :D

The only reason I would restart is because I wasted loads of components upgrading the earlier weapons.

My crystarium is nearly maxed out for everyone in chapter 9 as I found a great place for a bit of power levelling :D 10,000 CP in around 8 minutes yesterday.

The only reason I would restart is because I wasted loads of components upgrading the earlier weapons.

My crystarium is nearly maxed out for everyone in chapter 9 as I found a great place for a bit of power levelling :D 10,000 CP in around 8 minutes yesterday.

That's something I haven't done yet, though now I have the full crystarium opened up, there's some good CP to be gained in chapter 10, and hopefully I can find someway of getting a nice healthy stock of perfect conductors for weapon modding too :D

In Chapter 13 now, i found the best grind for cp was in taijins tower 5th floor against those pulsework thingys. Easy to sneak up on, with a preemptive strike and easy to stagger + they dont attack when staggered, if done perfectly its worth 8000 cp in about 30 seconds. One fault with this game is that towards the end there is no enemy that gives you enough cp to progress far in the crystarium, i mean 30 mins of grinding will only earn you about 5 moves. Has anyone else found that what cp rewards are really unbalanced, like the 8000 cp you gain against those pulsework thingys is pisch, but you only gain like 4000 cp for fighting two behemoth kings which is infinitely harder.

On a random note i think this game has a pretty good soundtrack, the background music in the final dungeon is creeping me the hell out.

I'm just working through some of the missions on Pulse now (Chapter 11??), probably constitutes grinding :) though really struggling with some of the monsters. Those Behemoth kings & triffid combos are a nightmare!

What's the story with the reward spheres in inaccessible places? I assume this must be some sort of chocobo thing?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm stuck on Barthamedus pt. II(or whatever his name is)in chapter 11. He's destroying me every time now. Where's a good (close by) place from there to go and get a nice bit of extra cp? I'm only getting about 3-4000 per battle at the moment!

I spent a while doing all of the c'ieth stone missions before getting as far as Oerba. Managed to fill up the Crystarium for each character and had some spare for when the crystarium expanded after Bart. The other benefit to doing this is getting loads of items for weapon modding (which helps a lot too!!!), and access to chocobos!

By the way, don't forget to fix Vanille's toy whilst in Oerba ;)

That said, Taejin's tower seemed pretty good for CP

Completed it last night :) and although it's very linear for a ff game (something to do with having to release it for the xbox, or so I was told) it is a great game slightly ruined by having Leona Lewis playing over the end titles!!! Nevertheless, I would recommend it, especially if you can play it in HD, as I'm guessing it would look magnificent!

Right, back off to Gran Pulse to finish all those missions :D

Completed it last night :) and although it's very linear for a ff game (something to do with having to release it for the xbox, or so I was told) it is a great game slightly ruined by having Leona Lewis playing over the end titles!!! Nevertheless, I would recommend it, especially if you can play it in HD, as I'm guessing it would look magnificent!

Right, back off to Gran Pulse to finish all those missions :D

Thanks, guess thats another one to add to the seemingly ever-expanding list of games on my wish list!

Has anyone had a pop at attacus yet? if so, any luck?

I have largely disregarded the missions as ive decended into dissertation hell lol. I have to talk about the ending though because it annoyed me slightly so....

SPOILER ALERT

I dont get why they fight Orphan at the end when they want to save Cocoon, they had no plan for saving it and surely the 'heroic' thing to do would be to walk away and sacrifice themselves by neglecting their focus, even if it would have been a huge anti-climax. I get that Fang and Vanille did save Cocoon and Pulse, but that was only as a result of their own spontaneous action and the other main characters couldnt have known about it.

Also i found the whole cieth thing between the Orphan battles to be confusing, even if it was apparently 'fal'cie smoke and mirrors'.

SPOILER OVER

The ending did actually kind of irritate me because of this.

• 4 months later...

Was thinking earlier how I hadn't played this in ages, and when I went to load up my game, it froze. The game file loads up, it gets to the loading screen and all the scrolling text comes down while the file itself is loading, but when it says 'X Start', the X button doesn't respond and I can't start the game. Anyone else had this problem or got a solution? Don't really want to have to start again :(

Not had that problem, although I really should get round to completing this at some point. Heard the ending is quite emotional.

The ending is spectacular, and I guess emotional. I'm keeping the save file for the ending of the game so I can play it again when I have a HD TV :D because I imagine it will look outstanding!