Nice tribute from Jonathan Pearce on Late Kick Off

chrisobee

Nice for once to hear someone in the media talking positively about Saints and I'm sure meaning it, Jonathan Pearce on LKO :

" I was at Cardiff when Saints fans lit up the FA Cup Final, they made it a real occasion, a proper FA Cup Final.

I saw them cry at St Mary's when I watched the Saints getting relegated from the Premier League.

I've studied closely a good man, Alan Pardew, as he has pieced together a side capable of bringing back the good days.

There is too much bad news attached to football these days and this weekend at Wembley was a good news day. "

All in all a very positive programme, thoroughly enjoyable.

Edited by chrisobee
Spelling

Jonathan Pearce is by a long way the best commentator on television and radio, even before he said that!

He understands and appreciates the game at all levels unlike a certain Mr Green who is often heard complaining about being forced to watch another Premier League, or Champions League game involving teams who he does not consider worthy, but would never soil his shoes outside of those competitions.

seem to remember that Pearce was a commentator on Solent for us some years back - definitely recall him getting Berkovic and Benali confused and getting very excited that the latter was about to score what would have been his first ever goal for the club...

seem to remember that Pearce was a commentator on Solent for us some years back - definitely recall him getting Berkovic and Benali confused and getting very excited that the latter was about to score what would have been his first ever goal for the club...

Indeed, he can get carried away with his own enthusiasm !

Shame the same can't be said for Steve Claridge on the highlights Sunday night!

I know he's a skate and was probably painful for him to see Saints winning, but at times he just sounded like he couldn't be bothered!

Just watched it on iPLayer - brought another lump to the throat.

Also PMSL at my old man getting in shot at 2.00 mins in - the doddery old bloke in the flat cap behind the chap talking (fortunately I was just out of shot).

Anyway, special mention to him as he's Rolland Parris (who designed the Saints Crest (which gets applauded and ridiculed in equal numbers)) watching Saints at Wembley for the fourth time (he prefers the old wembley). Anyway, props to him - its his 80th birthday in a couple of months - and he loved it on Sun, loved it I tell you.

Just watched it on iPLayer - brought another lump to the throat.

Also PMSL at my old man getting in shot at 2.00 mins in - the doddery old bloke in the flat cap behind the chap talking (fortunately I was just out of shot).

Anyway, special mention to him as he's Rolland Parris (who designed the Saints Crest (which gets applauded and ridiculed in equal numbers)) watching Saints at Wembley for the fourth time (he prefers the old wembley). Anyway, props to him - its his 80th birthday in a couple of months - and he loved it on Sun, loved it I tell you.

Snap, I prefer the old Wembley and been to see Saints 4 times. Now won 2 and lost two, couldn't be bothered to go to the ZDS final v Forest in the '90's. Could afford to be more choosy in those days ;) Oh, I'm getting doddery and I'm only in my 50's !

Snap, I prefer the old Wembley and been to see Saints 4 times. Now won 2 and lost two, couldn't be bothered to go to the ZDS final v Forest in the '90's. Could afford to be more choosy in those days ;) Oh, I'm getting doddery and I'm only in my 50's !

That's just all those late nights and deciding to go to Tesco at three in the morning because you're peckish. :)

That's just all those late nights and deciding to go to Tesco at three in the morning because you're peckish. :)

Lol, I wasn't just peckish I was bloooming starving ! Anyway at least at that time there are no more doddery old fools getting in my way !!!

I know he's a skate and was probably painful for him to see Saints winning, but at times he just sounded like he couldn't be bothered!

I thought Claridge's commentary was a disgrace actually. Leaving aside for now his obvious lack of talent in this department, his refusal to acknowledge a Saints comprehensive victory was just the signs of a very petty man. In you can't be impartial, then don't be a football pundit. I lost count of the times when describing a Saints attack he described it as "unfortunate" that we mustered a shot / goal, and he just sounded so utterly depressed to be doing the job.

There's a reason that Soccer Saturday keep MLT away from Pompey games, its because Sky want to avoid accusations of bias. Just a shame the BBC couldn't show the same impartiality.

that's just his style. The game was so easy for us you can hardly blame him. I don't think I've ever felt so calm about a Saints win before and that has to rub off on a commentator if they know the game as he does. He bigged us up throughout the highlights programme. He knows us very well as he watches us on a regular basis and that was evident. I think he is very fair when it comes to Saints.