Contrasting fortunes for a couple of ex-Saints

Gorgiesaint

Just scanning round the internet today, I notice there was contrasting fortunes for a couple of ex-Saints.

Dave Hockaday was relegated at the weekend with Forest Green Rovers after conceeding a couple of late goals at Grays.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/forest_green_rovers/8644654.stm

Meanwhile, over in Holland, the boysh of FC Eindhoven under Jan Poortvliet have made the play-offs, despite finishing 12th out of 19 teams!!

They played the first leg against AGOVV from Appeldoorn and won 1-0. The second leg in Appeldoorn is on Thursday. The playoff system in Holland has to be one of the most complicated things I have ever come across, even my Dutch relatives struggle to explain it to me, but if they get through then they should play Willem II from Tilburg (who will probably finish 17th in the top division, the Eredivisie - otherwise its Sparta Rotterdam). If they can get through then the final round will be against Cambuur or the fantastically names Go Ahead Eagles!!

http://www.jupilerleague.nl/jupiler-playoffs-2010.php

Will update the 2nd leg score on Saturday. (corrected date - the other playoff game is on Thursday)

Edited by Gorgiesaint
Dutch Link

Just to update on JP's progress, FC Eindhoven won the 2nd leg of their first round playoff against AGOVV 3-2 with 2 goals in the last 12 minutes.

They are now through to the second round of the playoffs on the 6th & 9th May - they'll meet the team finishing 17th in the Eredivisie (the top division), the final games are tomorrow so it will be either Willem II or Sparta.

Just to give a quick update on JP's progress in the play-off's, tonight was the first leg of the 2nd round. Despite going a goal up within 2 minutes, FC Eindhoven lost 2-1 at home to Willem II. The second leg is in Tilburg on Sunday.

Oh and for those who have an interest in Dutch football, one of the other results from tonight was Ajax beating Feyenoord 4-1 in Rotterdam in the 2nd leg of the Dutch Cup final to win 6-1 on aggregate. Siem De Jong added 2 more goals to the 2 he scored in the first leg, with a brace from Luis Suarez.

For those who weren't aware, the cup final is normally played over one leg at Feyenoord's De Kuip stadium, however the security concerns over what is a pretty volatile encounter, led the Dutch FA to decide to switch the cup final to 2 legs with no away fans in attendance.