The Youngsters on show today - advanced viewing for next season?

Tony F

It was great to see Aaron Martin given a full 90 minutes today; I think he deserves credit for his performance. Won a lot in the air (although perhaps he needs to work on sending his defensive headers "safe" - quite a few went to yellow shirts today) and presented an authoritative figure around the box. Can't recall any real clangers.

O-C came on for barely 10 minutes but looked very lively - in a similar mould to David Connolley but quicker around the pitch.

Do you think we'll see much of these two next season?

Perhaps Jose with Martin or Seaborne will form the nucleus of our defence; maybe O-C will start hitting the net as an impact sub?

Do you see these guys becoming regular (and valuable) first team squad players?

And McNish breaking through too perhaps?

Edited by Tony F
corrected spelling of McNish

It was great to see Aaron Martin given a full 90 minutes today; I think he deserves credit for his performance. Won a lot in the air (although perhaps he needs to work on sending his defensive headers "safe" - quite a few went to yelow shirts today) and presented an authoritative figure around the box. Can't recall any real clangers.

O-C came on for barely 10 minutes but looked very lively - in a similar mould to David Connolley but quicker around the pitch.

Do you think we'll see much of these two next season?

Perhaps Jose with Martin or Seaborne will form the nucleus of our defence; maybe O-C will start huitting the net as an impact sub?

Do you see these guys becoming regular (and valuable) first team squad players?

And McNiff breaking through too perhaps?

Yes I thought they played well but Martin needs to improve his distribution a bit

Was very impressed with how vocal Martin was, especially with Jaidi, certainly didn't look like their first game together. If he can improve his headed distribution, I reckon we may have a great DC on our hands.

Hard to tell from what limited time theyv'e had but from what I've seen of Martin so far I would pick him over Seabourne. Oxleade-Chamberlain will be another Jason Puncheon, only better, a lot better.

Agree, Oxleade looked very good at times with neither making any mistakes and for me both looked good for the future. Well done acadamy.

Was very impressed with how vocal Martin was, especially with Jaidi, certainly didn't look like their first game together. If he can improve his headed distribution, I reckon we may have a great DC on our hands.

not sure if it was that they round, from what i saw it wasJaidi assisting Martin.

also noticed how quick Whotton is to praise the younger players especially O-C following that run

Thought Martin was solid today except for a couple of times when Paterson dropped deep and he didn't know whether to follow him or stay in line. Easy to work on that though so looks good for the future. OC looks ok. Not seen anything yet really though.

Martin certainly sounds like a very exciting prospect, I have to admit that when we signed him I thought he'd be another Molyneux/Pulis character, hyped up and then spend the rest of his Saints career in the reserves, but he's come into the team and done fantastically well in the two games he's played in. With Jaidi getting on a bit and Seabourne not 100% there yet, Martin could well see himself as first choice CB with Fonte next season.

OC sounds good as well, but he should be loaned out to a team in this division next season imo, he needs to get some valuable game time under his belt, and to do it at this level would mean a steeper learning curve but a better one. Same with McNish and Gobern.

Next season ..we may well have 2/3 doubled barrelled names in the side....A ploy to make more money in the Saints shop..

Well done to Martin, OC and particularly Pards and staff for bringing through these youngsters...A bright future for the mighty Saints..

COYRs