Not Only Saints Fans Complaining

John B

A Quote from the BBC WEBSITE

As a loyal Hornet fan for nearly 40 years I am disgusted with the way my club is being run

StainesHornet

Is this a common trend within the Championship when clubs get relegated from the Premiership.

It's a common trend with all football clubs on earth.

Has it only just struck you that we aren't, in reality, the hardest done by club in the country? We just think we are.

Well, guess what, so does the supporter of every club in the land.

It's a common trend with all football clubs on earth.

Has it only just struck you that we aren't, in reality, the hardest done by club in the country? We just think we are.

Well, guess what, so does the supporter of every club in the land.

Except Man City....

I am actually very encouraged by the way the club is being run since the return of Rupert Lowe and genuinely believe he is implementing a sustainable business model for us. I am more positive about the future now than I have been at anytime since we got relegated. So not all bad as far as I am concerned.

Also the football is more entertaining as well.

I am actually very encouraged by the way the club is being run since the return of Rupert Lowe and genuinely believe he is implementing a sustainable business model for us. I am more positive about the future now than I have been at anytime since we got relegated. So not all bad as far as I am concerned.

Also the football is more entertaining as well.

Yes I agree with you but lots of fans disagree.

They require instant success and forty teams in the Premiership and all teams in the top five

Yes I agree with you but lots of fans disagree.

They require instant success and forty teams in the Premiership and all teams in the top five

It's a hard one to balance out. The real loser in all of what has happened is the entire sport of professional football. The teams, the national side and the fan.

The teams see the success of the likes of Arsenal, which by the way is hardly based on the mega rich owner model of Chelsea. They have bought very well and sold at top dollar, they have continually qualified for the gold mine of the Champions League and they have made the most of their support in building the biggest ground in the best place. This is the best model in football today. Stable management, building a team from youth level through.

The national side is suffering because as with every business the best employees in the world gravitate to the wealthiest and best payers, there are 20 PL teams competing for the best 20 goalkeepers, centre forwards etc, some with smaller budgets thans others. The best of our kids are now competing on a world basis just to play in their own top domestic league.

The fans are suffering because to watch a footballer who is paid £150k a week or in Chelsea's case probably four or five paid over £100k a week they have to pay upwards of £40-50 pounds each. That surely isn't the budget of the working class man anymore, in reality gate receipts are a nominal part of the biggest clubs incomes. So Joe Average can no longer afford to watch the game every week, Joe Averages team can not afford to buy the players that will allow them to compete, and the national side struggles to put international class players on the pitch. Players like Defoe, Lescott and one or two others are good but not that international class.

That is the story for the PL clubs, now take awy the chance of European money, £60m less a season in TV money, dwindling quality of players, the inability to keep anyone who is decent because PL clubs can dwarf wages, or fans are not willing to pay £50-60 to watch CCC football to pay those sort of wages and you have where all but those on the parachute payment are in the CCC minus a few exceptions like Wolves with Jack Walker's legacy and another wealthy owner.

There are two answers to the problem - cap wages - which will no doubt have all the civil right people whining or fund the CCC better. As neither is going to happen we are just going to have to wait for the implosion in English football similar to that in Italy 5-10 years ago when all sorts were happening.

Right now as a Saints supporter I am resigned to losing our best players not because they want to go but because the offers they receive will be too good to refuse. Let's face it if someone offered to treble your wages for doing the same job elsewhere would you say No? That is not Lowe's fault it happened to us when were in the PL, and we did the same to CCC because we had the power.

So now we are faced with trying to match the wages offered by the PL on a sixth of the income. Ambition or go bust?