The Learner Driver thread

gaz

A thread for all the learners/newly passed drivers to share thoughts and experiences of the process of getting on the road and mobile.

I failed my test this afternoon. :blush:

There was a 90ish degree left hand corner with a car and a big Luton style Transit van parked on my side of the road on the corner, with a gap inbetween. I had time and room to get past the first car, but as I was along side it I saw traffic coming towards me, I pulled into the gap between the car and van. I couldnt see the traffic approaching sooner because of the van and gardens across blocking the view, and the examiner failed me on Judgement, Meeting as he said I should have waited before I got to the first car.

More than a bit peed off, because if that Transit driver hadn't parked there, I would have passed. How was I supposed to wait earlier if I couldn't see what I was meant to wait for?

Anyway, retest booked for the 8th of December. The new Independant Driving part was fine, he said ''take the 2nd exit at the next roundabout, then follow the signs for [Location]. That was fine, no problem whatsoever. Learners shouldn't worry about that IMO.

PS

Wrong time of the month to take your test too gaz, they make their numbers up towards the end. Yo'll, be fine in December though, they want the numbers early so they can knock off early for the christmas/new year break (this is fact).

(this is a complete lie)

Its just frustrating that I've never come across anything like that in any of the lessons I've had, and failed on a natural reaction. Such is life though, thanks for the encouragement :)

Are there any other Saints fans learning? I'm not from the area so can't suggest local instructors but I'm sure you guys can. The best tip I got was to go for an independant, not BSM/AA etc. I tried BSM for 3 lessons and felt like I wasn't getting anywhere, and that I was just another job to them rather than their project. One lesson with a local independant instructor up here and I'd learnt more than the other three combined.

(this is a complete lie)

Just trying to boost his confidence.

Agreed. This is nonsense made up by bitter failees...

Hah, fraid not, passed 1st time after a 1 hour test. I must havce been quite a good driver back then, fraid it's been all downhill since though.

• 2 weeks later...

Failed on 1st attempt this afternoon.

Did the whole test with 8 minors, went to turn into the test centre to accept a pass and he said I approached the entrance to the test centre too fast. He deemed it as a major and I failed in the last 20 seconds of my test.

Now have to wait til Dec 31st to re-take, and it's going to cost me about 300 quid in total with extra lessons and test/car fee etc.

Not happy at all.