Fonte Leaving (For a Holiday)

leftback

leftback was right again, Fonte is indeed on holiday with his wife and it is jst that, a short break to recharge his batteries.

Wotton likely to join Oxford on loan.

Could not find anything about Connolly.

Puncheon tweeked his back yesterday.

Forgot to ask about the Chief Scout!

Remember - it isn't official until it appears on one of Weston's posts.

When your over riding problem is being able to put back to back wins together when playing more than one game a week, then you have to be pretty thick to put out a strong team for a midweek cup game of no real importance. I would not have minded if Adkins rested more players, but he has a full week to get the fitness levels back up and he rested what should be our two most important players, whilst taking it easy on our talented teenager. If you can understand why Pardew made the stupid statement of "It wasn't a priority game, but we treated it as such", maybe you would like to explain this statement when you consider it came within inches of getting him the sack previously. You have to be totally dumb or want out, to state something like that, after all that happened previously. It is very clear from the Solent interview why Cortese and Pardew fell out. The league must be the top, top priority and he did not spend all that money in the January window to look good in a cup run. Which is drastically at odds with Pardew's statement that he prioritised the cup/s.

To try and imply that the radio, paper and programme interviews of Cortese being untrue, of his relationship and how the deal with Markus came about is just phissing into a force 9. Cortese was not only given control, but unequivocal and total control with no interference from Liebherr. This is the first campaign of propaganda designed to make NC look a wonderful man I have known by silence. Not courting any favours from the press and just giving a couple of radio interviews a year. Did you actually read that drivel?

Leftback will continue to be correct with team selections and players, loaded with a dollop of side bias and curry down his front. He may well be correct about Reed, it does not concern me. Because I do know that if Reed does not perform, Cortese will get rid of him. The only way Reed gets to stay is if he does his job well enough. I'm surprised it was not "Fonte's off on holiday because Les Reed is such a nadger and Fonte has to take a rest to get over it". But trying to extend that to Cortese's actions and dealings are guesswork at best. We all know Cortese is by no means perfect, but as a Saints fan we have never had it so good, even allowing for his peccadillo's. Cortese has this dream for Saints that everyone of us wish him well with and so far has delivered. Just because Cortese has the common sense to keep his mouth shut and keep politics out of Saints, some of the old guard feel the need to fill that vacuum.

Not sure which Bolton match you were thinking off but the one I was referring to happened in August. Our 4th game of the season, where we had not got off to the flying start against Plymouth, good result in the same cup against Bournemouth the Tuesday after, then a weekend off before a draw against Orient on the Saturday before the Bolton game. Did the strategy work? We beat Bristol 4-0 away the weekend after - that seems to suggest Pards got it right. The players had clearly had plenty of recuperation time, not that it should be too difficult at that stage of the season and Pardew did play a fringe player that night, resting Jaidi to give one of his younf centrebacks a chance to grow (Seabourne would have played but was injured).

So the overriding problem you suggest doesn't seem that apparant to me, and certainly the reason wasn't to do with fitness levels.

He didn't say it was a priority over the league but I would read his comment to imply that he regarded this as of equal importance to the league games, to get the performances back on track. I don't believe he had visions of going all the way to Wembley in this trophy but he had always stated that he believed we should set out to win all games, to build that winning mentality that had been lacking, as important for the supporters to get used to as it is for the players. We didn't win that night but we were very unlucky not to have done, against a strong Premiership side. I know as one of the few who turned up that I came away with a better feeling than I had the weekend before after the Orient game.

Was it a stupid comment in view of previous warnings from Cortese? Possibly, but I suspect Pards had his own standards to live by and knew that the Cortese relationship had already broken down (despite Cortese's assurances publicly that it hadn't). I would think that he may have thought Cortese would see the football logic of the decision, as I did. If this was the reason that he was sacked, why did we not hear that in the club statement?

Nigel didn't seem to get the message yesterday, even with NC not being there. Only two changes, although he did take an age bringing on the last two substitutes when all of us could see that Guly just wasn't up to it yesterday and even moving him out wide didn't change anything. Both subs had been ready to go for ages, they almost had lost any benefit of a warm up.

I don't believe I have disputed the fundamental relationship between ML & NC, how it came about or that Cortese ended up in sole charge of the club. I do think there are questions about whether everything was as NC suggests, as we only have his version of this. Marcus hardly ever said anything publicly, (willing to be corrected) - even Pardew said he was a man of few words, so not a lot of contact there either. NC could see how immensly popular with the supporters ML was, so to quote ML gives anything a more trusted status. Could it be that the family are also a little concerned about the "unequivocal and total control with no interference from Liebherr" - which may be behind the dispute leftback alludes to? I don't know but my experiences of family matters would lead me to think they will have questions. We truly know very little about ML, or his family, or even the state of his health prior to his death.

OK, perhaps it is just me who thinks there is a propoganda campaign out there but view all of the interviews during the summer about backroom staff - isn't Nicola fantastic? I think he chooses to avoid the media because he can't control the outcome - hence the promotion of the official website, the banning of photographers earlier in the season (now quietly changed), the trumped up dispute with the echo. Any one been to the fans forum organised by Solent this season - no, I thought not. Only the private dinner with a small select group of season ticket holders, quietly organised but you can't help feeling that they knew details would be passed back to various forums.

I can live with quiet professionism but this version of it is very selective and that leads me to think we only got told the things NC wants us to know. Sometimes it is not very professional - comments re Pardew/Shrewsbury tickets?

It would have been great to remove the politics and at the outset I genuinely thought that was what was happening. But actually it is the replacement of old regimes with a new order - sorry, but it seems more like a dictatorship to me, not common sense. The removal of all whose views clash with the new regime. Totally my view and I could be wrong.

I am grateful that the club was saved but then I was grateful when Rupert Lowe took it over initially. I was grateful when Wilde took it over from him, and even when Crouch came along. By the time Rupert came round the second time, I was becoming more cynical, so I am far more cautious over the current regime for the same reason. Like Rupert, many of NC's plans seem wonderful on the surface - it is the execution that lets them down and I suspect the problem with both of them that they have a blinkered approach to how they would achieve those goals.

At the moment, everything seems calm again but as a longterm Saints fan I do care what the future brings. I do believe that much of what leftback is passing on is probably true, and there are enough reasons to suggest that we shouldn't get our hopes up too much about the brilliant future so many seem to suggest.

When your over riding problem is being able to put back to back wins together when playing more than one game a week, then you have to be pretty thick to put out a strong team for a midweek cup game of no real importance. I would not have minded if Adkins rested more players, but he has a full week to get the fitness levels back up and he rested what should be our two most important players, whilst taking it easy on our talented teenager. If you can understand why Pardew made the stupid statement of "It wasn't a priority game, but we treated it as such", maybe you would like to explain this statement when you consider it came within inches of getting him the sack previously. You have to be totally dumb or want out, to state something like that, after all that happened previously. It is very clear from the Solent interview why Cortese and Pardew fell out. The league must be the top, top priority and he did not spend all that money in the January window to look good in a cup run. Which is drastically at odds with Pardew's statement that he prioritised the cup/s.

To try and imply that the radio, paper and programme interviews of Cortese being untrue, of his relationship and how the deal with Markus came about is just phissing into a force 9. Cortese was not only given control, but unequivocal and total control with no interference from Liebherr. This is the first campaign of propaganda designed to make NC look a wonderful man I have known by silence. Not courting any favours from the press and just giving a couple of radio interviews a year. Did you actually read that drivel?

Leftback will continue to be correct with team selections and players, loaded with a dollop of side bias and curry down his front. He may well be correct about Reed, it does not concern me. Because I do know that if Reed does not perform, Cortese will get rid of him. The only way Reed gets to stay is if he does his job well enough. I'm surprised it was not "Fonte's off on holiday because Les Reed is such a nadger and Fonte has to take a rest to get over it". But trying to extend that to Cortese's actions and dealings are guesswork at best. We all know Cortese is by no means perfect, but as a Saints fan we have never had it so good, even allowing for his peccadillo's. Cortese has this dream for Saints that everyone of us wish him well with and so far has delivered. Just because Cortese has the common sense to keep his mouth shut and keep politics out of Saints, some of the old guard feel the need to fill that vacuum.

Not sure which Bolton match you were thinking off but the one I was referring to happened in August. Our 4th game of the season, where we had not got off to the flying start against Plymouth, good result in the same cup against Bournemouth the Tuesday after, then a weekend off before a draw against Orient on the Saturday before the Bolton game. Did the strategy work? We beat Bristol 4-0 away the weekend after - that seems to suggest Pards got it right. The players had clearly had plenty of recuperation time, not that it should be too difficult at that stage of the season and Pardew did play a fringe player that night, resting Jaidi to give one of his younf centrebacks a chance to grow (Seabourne would have played but was injured).

So the overriding problem you suggest doesn't seem that apparant to me, and certainly the reason wasn't to do with fitness levels.

He didn't say it was a priority over the league but I would read his comment to imply that he regarded this as of equal importance to the league games, to get the performances back on track. I don't believe he had visions of going all the way to Wembley in this trophy but he had always stated that he believed we should set out to win all games, to build that winning mentality that had been lacking, as important for the supporters to get used to as it is for the players. We didn't win that night but we were very unlucky not to have done, against a strong Premiership side. I know as one of the few who turned up that I came away with a better feeling than I had the weekend before after the Orient game.

Was it a stupid comment in view of previous warnings from Cortese? Possibly, but I suspect Pards had his own standards to live by and knew that the Cortese relationship had already broken down (despite Cortese's assurances publicly that it hadn't). I would think that he may have thought Cortese would see the football logic of the decision, as I did. If this was the reason that he was sacked, why did we not hear that in the club statement?

Nigel didn't seem to get the message yesterday, even with NC not being there. Only two changes, although he did take an age bringing on the last two substitutes when all of us could see that Guly just wasn't up to it yesterday and even moving him out wide didn't change anything. Both subs had been ready to go for ages, they almost had lost any benefit of a warm up.

I don't believe I have disputed the fundamental relationship between ML & NC, how it came about or that Cortese ended up in sole charge of the club. I do think there are questions about whether everything was as NC suggests, as we only have his version of this. Marcus hardly ever said anything publicly, (willing to be corrected) - even Pardew said he was a man of few words, so not a lot of contact there either. NC could see how immensly popular with the supporters ML was, so to quote ML gives anything a more trusted status. Could it be that the family are also a little concerned about the "unequivocal and total control with no interference from Liebherr" - which may be behind the dispute leftback alludes to? I don't know but my experiences of family matters would lead me to think they will have questions. We truly know very little about ML, or his family, or even the state of his health prior to his death.

OK, perhaps it is just me who thinks there is a propoganda campaign out there but view all of the interviews during the summer about backroom staff - isn't Nicola fantastic? I think he chooses to avoid the media because he can't control the outcome - hence the promotion of the official website, the banning of photographers earlier in the season (now quietly changed), the trumped up dispute with the echo. Any one been to the fans forum organised by Solent this season - no, I thought not. Only the private dinner with a small select group of season ticket holders, quietly organised but you can't help feeling that they knew details would be passed back to various forums.

I can live with quiet professionism but this version of it is very selective and that leads me to think we only got told the things NC wants us to know. Sometimes it is not very professional - comments re Pardew/Shrewsbury tickets?

It would have been great to remove the politics and at the outset I genuinely thought that was what was happening. But actually it is the replacement of old regimes with a new order - sorry, but it seems more like a dictatorship to me, not common sense. The removal of all whose views clash with the new regime. Totally my view and I could be wrong.

I am grateful that the club was saved but then I was grateful when Rupert Lowe took it over initially. I was grateful when Wilde took it over from him, and even when Crouch came along. By the time Rupert came round the second time, I was becoming more cynical, so I am far more cautious over the current regime for the same reason. Like Rupert, many of NC's plans seem wonderful on the surface - it is the execution that lets them down and I suspect the problem with both of them that they have a blinkered approach to how they would achieve those goals.

At the moment, everything seems calm again but as a longterm Saints fan I do care what the future brings. I do believe that much of what leftback is passing on is probably true, and there are enough reasons to suggest that we shouldn't get our hopes up too much about the brilliant future so many seem to suggest.

I think we are really lucky to have hit the ground running under Nigel.

However, re appointments and reaons for getting shot of managers, I think that Pard's is right up there with the wrongest decisions ever. Having Nige at the helm will hide that fact.

LKat season I lost count of how many people told me to my face that they would be happy for saints to simply avoid relegation. Anyone with the view that they expected any more than than was in the minority.

Alan Pardew did an excellent job, stuff the league being a priority, we needed life breathed back into this club and the players too, they were as down as the rest of us. Alan delivered the jam in the doughnut and was then ready to win us promotion this season, there was no doubt in my mind of that.

We have landed on our feet and maybe that is down to good provident head hunting, but let us NEVER forget that we would have been fine under Pards too. Nicola took one hell of a gamble and it was a needless one.

Love Nigel, love Pardew.

NC worries me a wee bit sometimes. God I hope he knows what he is doing and doesn't listen too closely to the one known throught the game as 'Les Miserable'

Spot on mate, totally agree with everything.

I think we are really lucky to have hit the ground running under Nigel.

However, re appointments and reaons for getting shot of managers, I think that Pard's is right up there with the wrongest decisions ever. Having Nige at the helm will hide that fact.

LKat season I lost count of how many people told me to my face that they would be happy for saints to simply avoid relegation. Anyone with the view that they expected any more than than was in the minority.

Alan Pardew did an excellent job, stuff the league being a priority, we needed life breathed back into this club and the players too, they were as down as the rest of us. Alan delivered the jam in the doughnut and was then ready to win us promotion this season, there was no doubt in my mind of that.

We have landed on our feet and maybe that is down to good provident head hunting, but let us NEVER forget that we would have been fine under Pards too. Nicola took one hell of a gamble and it was a needless one.

Love Nigel, love Pardew.

NC worries me a wee bit sometimes. God I hope he knows what he is doing and doesn't listen too closely to the one known throught the game as 'Les Miserable'

Spot on mate, totally agree with everything.

Thing is, I have just watched the R2 draw, we are home to Cheltenham next.

Affordable tickets should see a few more youngsters blooded in the stands.

Can't be many thinking this will be a good opportunity to get knocked out, so Cup dream lives on and long may that be the case.

My fave competition, in fact the world's favourite domestic competition, NEVER underestimate what emotions 'the cup' throws at us. 11 men v 11 men on the day and it really can be anyone's cup. Play to win each and every game I say.

Do we really want to be like the big boys who devalue and in fact insult the tournament?

Edited by hamster
wasn't paying attention,

Thing is, I have just watched the R2 draw, we are home to Chesterfiled next.

Affordable tickets should see a few more youngsters blooded in the stands.

Can't be many thinking this will be a good opportunity to get knocked out, so Cup dream lives on and long may that be the case.

My fave competition, in fact the world's favourite domestic competition, NEVER underestimate what emotions 'the cup' throws at us. 11 men v 11 men on the day and it really can be anyone's cup. Play to win each and every game I say.

Do we really want to be like the big boys who devalue and in fact insult the tournament?

not Cheltenham then???