Fonte Leaving (For a Holiday)

leftback

we really have become the most tedious of boards, some sad sack says change the name of the thread and we do!!

i think its pathetic, and im putting the original threadname here ... it was 'fonte leaving!!!' ........woweee,shock, horror!!

matthew le god, why are you so worried about me being lynched on a WEBSITE ffs.

And whichever lightweight moderator bowed to this ....."sense of humour by-pass" censoreship you should hang your head in shame and keep your eye out for a spine!!

BORE OFF mod and mlg.

You should try Nick Illingsworth's forum LB. A lot more respectful of ex-players:

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/fb_mb.php

just intrigued at mo, quick one for LB! From what you know, is there still money to be spent on the promotion project or are the family not as keen as Markus was? Jan will be interesting I suppose!!!

Ive posted before that Marcus' daughter is not entirely enamoured by nicolina and how he positioned himself so closely to Marcus wealth ,culminating in the amount of references to himself in the eulogy.

I wouldnt assume that the family are as keen as the great man was....who could be in such a short space of time,after all it was nc's idea to get Marcus to buy, as opposed to a family decision,and contrary to some opinion on here, I am very happy that he did ,only a fool wouldnt be!

My only objections are to the way nicolina has behaved, to other clubs,to us,to staff at the ground, to staff at the tg,to the national press.the interview in the Times said alot to me last year.

I know we can say that it is early in his tenure but that doesnt mean I have to like this behaviour.

I cannot remember which game it was ,but I know for a fact that Pardew was told to play him in one of the final games at SMS last season

I know how disliked he is by virtually all the clubs he has dealt with and he has meddled in transfers and loans,If it was his money then fine,the game is full of "enlightened despots "who own clubs and do that, but it wasnt, isnt and never will be his money,hence the stalling on finance now. (ish)

Thats why I dont like him and I wont bother ever refering to it again.

Anyway......Radi in for Jose (and by the way how crass were those references to Joses marriage just cos hes gone away for a few days) tomorrow, and Guly in for Lambo. connolly on bench and not happy bunny.

Me.... I'd have gone with Martin.

Give Paul Wotton a big cheer if he gets on tomorrow,might be the last chance we get!

Any news on my chief scout post?

coyr !!!! cup fever anyone or as we used to say....sherry and eggs

Ive posted before that Marcus' daughter is not entirely enamoured by nicolina and how he positioned himself so closely to Marcus wealth ,culminating in the amount of references to himself in the eulogy.

I wouldnt assume that the family are as keen as the great man was....who could be in such a short space of time,after all it was nc's idea to get Marcus to buy, as opposed to a family decision,and contrary to some opinion on here, I am very happy that he did ,only a fool wouldnt be!

My only objections are to the way nicolina has behaved, to other clubs,to us,to staff at the ground, to staff at the tg,to the national press.the interview in the Times said alot to me last year.

I know we can say that it is early in his tenure but that doesnt mean I have to like this behaviour.

I cannot remember which game it was ,but I know for a fact that Pardew was told to play him in one of the final games at SMS last season

I know how disliked he is by virtually all the clubs he has dealt with and he has meddled in transfers and loans,If it was his money then fine,the game is full of "enlightened despots "who own clubs and do that, but it wasnt, isnt and never will be his money,hence the stalling on finance now. (ish)

Anyway......Radi in for Jose (and by the way how crass were those references to Joses marriage just cos hes gone away for a few days) tomorrow, and Guly in for Lambo. connolly on bench and not happy bunny.

Give Paul Wotton a big cheer if he gets on tomorrow,might be the last chance we get!

Hope the Liebherrs get the bug even it is only to fulfill ML's dream for the club! People come and go, but we as fans remain steadfastly devoted to club through thick and thin! Hope the vision is realised, if we can achieve it with style and maybe a little humility all the better! It would be nice to hear about the club in a good light for a change! Whats up with DC apart from not playing by the way?

Interesting post leftback, thank you for the info. I think explaining why you have issues with how Cortese does things gives you a lot more credit.

Which player were you talking about here?

I quite like the fact that Nigel has bigged up the FA Cup, even if it is patently obvious that Nicola do es not want us 'wasting' time and effort on a futile exercise where if we are honest with ourselves, we know that 4th maybe 5th round is about our limit right now. Though it pains me to admit it, I too would prefer to meet the big guns sooner rather than later IN THE LEAGUE. Maybe then we can resurect our reputationof being a decent cup team.

NA's comments will appease the fans much better than the 'too little too late' revealations re the JPT and NC's fall out with AP. I think he is learning a bit about good customer relations and I for one can see a new era dawning where he (NC) makes better use of phsychology.

I think it is Dubai Phil who often refers to that book about the Japanese warlord and his book abou how to win wars. Maybe there's a new edition out in Italian!!!

leftie, come on mate, pay the fiver, you know that you want to.

oh hammy id love to but i must restrain myself,and only come on when i have something that i have been reliably informed of.

could you western ..could you.... really...could you really western

they obviously didn't want him cup tied as his loan runs out on the 8th November. I see Pulis' loan runs out on the 7th. I wonder if that will be extended. In reference to leftbacks comment about Cortese generosity, we are paying all his wages whilst he is at Stockport.

leftback, keep posting these snippets. Some of us love em.

You could say the same about Fonte then...

ok so you dont like him but please stop the digs on your threads then maybe people on here will take you that little bit more seriously. Oh and for what its worth how on earth do you know how Marcus's daughter feels about NC???

What you say about nicole being a **** is hardly breaking news... we all know it. What is important is the Liebherr family and if we have to tolerate a little Mussolini then it's a price worth paying. That said if and when nicole does anything else that directly affects me, i.e the ticket tax, then you rest assured i'll be the first to moan.

t

I think it is Dubai Phil who often refers to that book about the Japanese warlord and his book abou how to win wars. Maybe there's a new edition out in Italian!!!

The Italians have their own 'this is the way to do it" spirit guide. Roughly the same forename as our man as well.

His tomes advocate cheating, lying and consequentialism as the way to go.

I have no reason to dispute anything that you post, you seem to get most things spot on, and I couldn't give a toss who people think you are or aren't.

What reason has Connolly got to be unhappy though? He is always involved when not injured(which is most of the time).

Agree on Martin. Seems silly not to give the younger man a run.

leftbacks posts are intresting, I know he does not like NC & this view seems to be shared by so many Saints legends & staff.

I think it's a real shame......part of me says "**** it" - as long as the team is successful who gives a toss and of course he saved the club and we could possibly be ****ed without him.

The other part of me remembers that NC stated that the politics & infighting had left SFC when he arrived, but it seems to me alive and well. Why treat valuable people with contempt?

part of me says "**** it" - as long as the team is successful who gives a toss and of course he saved the club and we could possibly be ****ed without him.

agree with this.

team are winning, we have team with likes of Lallana, Ox-C etc to enjoy, No Lowe/Wilde/Crouch type continual self publicity seeking interviews.

Maybe we don't warm to him but I pay to watch the team not him.

There is dumb, dumber and this genetic cross link of Crouch and Pardew that you portray. After Markus's death there was more than one remembrance to the great man, one private and one public for the Saints side. Seeing as the family had no input on the Saints side and it was virtually 100% the relationship between Markus and Cortese, it's obvious to an amoeba that eulogy would draw upon events in that relationship.

One of the conditions that Liebherr made when buying the club, was that Cortese had to run it. So he is there by the 100% backing that Markus gave him, enough to say Liebherr would never have got involved with Saints without Cortese. By your own words concede how keen the family are on the club, well it will be a whole lot worse without Cortese.

After seeing the relative merits between Adkins and Pardew, we can all give Les Reed a big pat on the back for levering his sorry arse down the road. Looking at today's cup tie, it's pretty clear where are priorities are, the league. Contrast that with the Bolton tie and the team we put out that day, with those immortal words from Pardew "It wasn't a priority game, but we treated it as such". I get the feeling Weston was right on this one, in that Pardew was deliberately looking for the push, because that statement makes no sense otherwise.

If Cortese is not given the funds to take us onwards, he won't be here and I would expect the family to sell the club. Even you should be able to see the relative merits of these actions, that's if you can filter out the gizits from the equation.

There is dumb, dumber and this genetic cross link of Crouch and Pardew that you portray. After Markus's death there was more than one remembrance to the great man, one private and one public for the Saints side. Seeing as the family had no input on the Saints side and it was virtually 100% the relationship between Markus and Cortese, it's obvious to an amoeba that eulogy would draw upon events in that relationship.

One of the conditions that Liebherr made when buying the club, was that Cortese had to run it. So he is there by the 100% backing that Markus gave him, enough to say Liebherr would never have got involved with Saints without Cortese. By your own words concede how keen the family are on the club, well it will be a whole lot worse without Cortese.

After seeing the relative merits between Adkins and Pardew, we can all give Les Reed a big pat on the back for levering his sorry arse down the road. Looking at today's cup tie, it's pretty clear where are priorities are, the league. Contrast that with the Bolton tie and the team we put out that day, with those immortal words from Pardew "It wasn't a priority game, but we treated it as such". I get the feeling Weston was right on this one, in that Pardew was deliberately looking for the push, because that statement makes no sense otherwise.

If Cortese is not given the funds to take us onwards, he won't be here and I would expect the family to sell the club. Even you should be able to see the relative merits of these actions, that's if you can filter out the gizits from the equation.

I usually just watch the comments on here and for some time now have been at a loss to understand the growing divide the two posts here show. For some time I have had a growing uneasy feeling about NC and the truth behind so much of what has gone on since we came out of admin. Leftbacks posts have all fitted with what I was beginning to feel - I am not ITK but simply base my judgements on what I read on the club website, saints player and posts on here. Much of what leftback says seems to be based on some inside information and has already been proved correct. Yes - he seems to dislike NC and Reed and his team.

It is always interesting to see people talk about what Marcus wanted. Apart from the fact that he looked like everybody's favorite uncle, a jolly smiling man a la Father Christmas, what else do we know about him? I don't recall any direct interviews with him and everything we know has come either from NC or David Bick. So we only know he insisted on NC running the club because Nicola told us so. In the same way we only know he stayed away from the last game of last season because of the style of play, or wanted Pardew sacked was because NC told us so. There has been a growing tide of propaganda designed to make NC look a wonderful man and it was that that first started making me suspicious. Add to comments made by a range of people on here and the way the Pardew matter was handled after the JPT final, even down to the loss of long term club people behind the scenes.

I don't know why he & Pardew fell out, but clearly goalposts moved last year. I do suspect meddling with transfers and pressure about picking certain players. Papa was inconsistant, brilliant one minute but awful the next (did he know the offside rule?) and I could see why Pardew used him as he did - as an impact player. I think Guly is almost a direct replacement in so many ways.

Re the Bolton game, I could see exactly why Pardew made that comment. He was focused on the league but after a mucked up close season (can see some interference in the arrangement of all that) and a poor start to the campaign, this was an excellent opportunity to put his best team out against higher opposition and hopefully kick start the season. A good performance against Bolton would bring much needed confidence, lift the crowd and be a good springboard. Players hardly needed a rest and as many as pointed out, he had hardly played his first team together in the preseason games - I suspect because the arrangements had been so badly out of line that the right chance to play his best team only came with the Reading game.

TBH I am a bit disappointed Nigel has not made more changes today, if leftback has called the team right. I would have liked to see more of the just on the fringe players (Dickson, Martin, Connelly, Holmes, even Wotton) as well as those selected (Bart, Jaidi, Guly) as this does seem an ideal opportunity. The cup will only be of value if we do get to the later rounds and draw a big club (I am not sure NC has access to the same finance he had when ML was alive), so we can improve the war chest. We have reached a stage where some players do need a week off, so a chance missed I feel.

Personally, I didn't see much wrong with Pardew, so I am not sure we have been done a big favour. I have long been an admirer of NA, so I am happy to see him here - I just hope he gets the backing he needs and is allowed to run things the way he wants, otherwise there could be more problems ahead

Probably because we're playing Shrewsbury on Saturday and Fonte has hardly missed a game since he joined us.

quite right,

if we can't beat Shrewsbury without Fonte.... then we are in real trouble.

We have Jaidi and Aaron Martin available , and if they aren't good enough we need to know now.

Fonte has been very consistant this season so he deserves an extra break.

Good opportunity to try alternatives without risking 3 points.

quite right,

if we can't beat Shrewsbury without Fonte.... then we are in real trouble.

We have Jaidi and Aaron Martin available , and if they aren't good enough we need to know now.

Fonte has been very consistant this season so he deserves an extra break.

Good opportunity to try alternatives without risking 3 points.

Although 5 or 6 of our players have played more games this season than Fonte and one has made 3 or 4 international appearances to boot.Don't quite see why he's been singled out for extra leave, perhaps they all have a short break as well.

I usually just watch the comments on here and for some time now have been at a loss to understand the growing divide the two posts here show. For some time I have had a growing uneasy feeling about NC and the truth behind so much of what has gone on since we came out of admin. Leftbacks posts have all fitted with what I was beginning to feel - I am not ITK but simply base my judgements on what I read on the club website, saints player and posts on here. Much of what leftback says seems to be based on some inside information and has already been proved correct. Yes - he seems to dislike NC and Reed and his team.

It is always interesting to see people talk about what Marcus wanted. Apart from the fact that he looked like everybody's favorite uncle, a jolly smiling man a la Father Christmas, what else do we know about him? I don't recall any direct interviews with him and everything we know has come either from NC or David Bick. So we only know he insisted on NC running the club because Nicola told us so. In the same way we only know he stayed away from the last game of last season because of the style of play, or wanted Pardew sacked was because NC told us so. There has been a growing tide of propaganda designed to make NC look a wonderful man and it was that that first started making me suspicious. Add to comments made by a range of people on here and the way the Pardew matter was handled after the JPT final, even down to the loss of long term club people behind the scenes.

I don't know why he & Pardew fell out, but clearly goalposts moved last year. I do suspect meddling with transfers and pressure about picking certain players. Papa was inconsistant, brilliant one minute but awful the next (did he know the offside rule?) and I could see why Pardew used him as he did - as an impact player. I think Guly is almost a direct replacement in so many ways.

Re the Bolton game, I could see exactly why Pardew made that comment. He was focused on the league but after a mucked up close season (can see some interference in the arrangement of all that) and a poor start to the campaign, this was an excellent opportunity to put his best team out against higher opposition and hopefully kick start the season. A good performance against Bolton would bring much needed confidence, lift the crowd and be a good springboard. Players hardly needed a rest and as many as pointed out, he had hardly played his first team together in the preseason games - I suspect because the arrangements had been so badly out of line that the right chance to play his best team only came with the Reading game.

TBH I am a bit disappointed Nigel has not made more changes today, if leftback has called the team right. I would have liked to see more of the just on the fringe players (Dickson, Martin, Connelly, Holmes, even Wotton) as well as those selected (Bart, Jaidi, Guly) as this does seem an ideal opportunity. The cup will only be of value if we do get to the later rounds and draw a big club (I am not sure NC has access to the same finance he had when ML was alive), so we can improve the war chest. We have reached a stage where some players do need a week off, so a chance missed I feel.

Personally, I didn't see much wrong with Pardew, so I am not sure we have been done a big favour. I have long been an admirer of NA, so I am happy to see him here - I just hope he gets the backing he needs and is allowed to run things the way he wants, otherwise there could be more problems ahead

You should contribute more often than you once every six month average!

leftback was right again, Fonte is indeed on holiday with his wife and it is jst that, a short break to recharge his batteries.

Wotton likely to join Oxford on loan.

Could not find anything about Connolly.

Puncheon tweeked his back yesterday.

Forgot to ask about the Chief Scout!

When your over riding problem is being able to put back to back wins together when playing more than one game a week, then you have to be pretty thick to put out a strong team for a midweek cup game of no real importance. I would not have minded if Adkins rested more players, but he has a full week to get the fitness levels back up and he rested what should be our two most important players, whilst taking it easy on our talented teenager. If you can understand why Pardew made the stupid statement of "It wasn't a priority game, but we treated it as such", maybe you would like to explain this statement when you consider it came within inches of getting him the sack previously. You have to be totally dumb or want out, to state something like that, after all that happened previously. It is very clear from the Solent interview why Cortese and Pardew fell out. The league must be the top, top priority and he did not spend all that money in the January window to look good in a cup run. Which is drastically at odds with Pardew's statement that he prioritised the cup/s.

To try and imply that the radio, paper and programme interviews of Cortese being untrue, of his relationship and how the deal with Markus came about is just phissing into a force 9. Cortese was not only given control, but unequivocal and total control with no interference from Liebherr. This is the first campaign of propaganda designed to make NC look a wonderful man I have known by silence. Not courting any favours from the press and just giving a couple of radio interviews a year. Did you actually read that drivel?

Leftback will continue to be correct with team selections and players, loaded with a dollop of side bias and curry down his front. He may well be correct about Reed, it does not concern me. Because I do know that if Reed does not perform, Cortese will get rid of him. The only way Reed gets to stay is if he does his job well enough. I'm surprised it was not "Fonte's off on holiday because Les Reed is such a nadger and Fonte has to take a rest to get over it". But trying to extend that to Cortese's actions and dealings are guesswork at best. We all know Cortese is by no means perfect, but as a Saints fan we have never had it so good, even allowing for his peccadillo's. Cortese has this dream for Saints that everyone of us wish him well with and so far has delivered. Just because Cortese has the common sense to keep his mouth shut and keep politics out of Saints, some of the old guard feel the need to fill that vacuum.

I dont really understand why some on here give Leftback a hard time he gives us some snippets and everyone seems to jump on him. Thanks LB I appreciate your posts. Not many of the orginal posters on this forum come on here much now and can certainly understand why.

Lady Saint. I've been a spectator to both this board and the original under keith. I'm too feeling frustrated by this new incarnation. Is their another board where the 'old skool' are hanging out?

I think we are really lucky to have hit the ground running under Nigel.

However, re appointments and reaons for getting shot of managers, I think that Pard's is right up there with the wrongest decisions ever. Having Nige at the helm will hide that fact.

LKat season I lost count of how many people told me to my face that they would be happy for saints to simply avoid relegation. Anyone with the view that they expected any more than than was in the minority.

Alan Pardew did an excellent job, stuff the league being a priority, we needed life breathed back into this club and the players too, they were as down as the rest of us. Alan delivered the jam in the doughnut and was then ready to win us promotion this season, there was no doubt in my mind of that.

We have landed on our feet and maybe that is down to good provident head hunting, but let us NEVER forget that we would have been fine under Pards too. Nicola took one hell of a gamble and it was a needless one.

Love Nigel, love Pardew.

NC worries me a wee bit sometimes. God I hope he knows what he is doing and doesn't listen too closely to the one known throught the game as 'Les Miserable'

leftback was right again, Fonte is indeed on holiday with his wife and it is jst that, a short break to recharge his batteries.

Wotton likely to join Oxford on loan.

Could not find anything about Connolly.

Puncheon tweeked his back yesterday.

Forgot to ask about the Chief Scout!

Remember - it isn't official until it appears on one of Weston's posts.