Football 365's Top 5 Favourite Financial F**K Ups.

Colinjb

I will take an F.A Cup win and playing A.C Milan in a European Cup competition on those wages thanks.

And therein lies the problem the game in this country faces. It's the "success now, ******** to what might happen in a few years' time or even further into the future" ethos Sky and the Premier League has built.

For as long as people are happy for their clubs to be spending money they very clearly don't have, the situation will continue to fester, until one day a Premier League football club is suddenly going to be faced with ruin because they can't afford to pay the wages anymore. Only then will the other clubs wake up to the truth of the situation, by which time it may be too late for them as well.

You only have to look at the "la la la, I can't hear you" fingers-in-the-ears attitude of Richard Scudamore to see why the clubs aren't all that bothered right now, but it'll be interesting to see what happens when the next TV deal is up for renegotiation.

If the rights remain as a package, i.e. all of the clubs are part of the same deal, I am pretty sure the overall amount offered by Sky, Setanta and whoever else wants a piece of the action will be a fair bit less than the current contract. Sky's profits fell from £724m to £60m last year, so despite being the biggest revenue-generating broadcaster in the country, the profits have gone through the floor, so they're not likely to be able to afford to increase their current spend, and may even have to cut back.

It's possible that the bigger clubs might see an opportunity to cash in, although with the PL constitution stating that 14 clubs have to vote in favour of policy changes like that, it won't be easy for them to push the deal through, but it's not entirely out of the question that they will want to negotiate individual contracts with the broadcasters like they do in other countries. That would mean massive amounts of money to the big 4 (and maybe Spurs, Newcastle, Man City, Villa, Everton), and the square root of **** all to the rest, because, let's face it, unless you're a fan of any of the smaller clubs, there aren't many people who are interested in watching the games involving those teams.

Interesting quote in the 365 piece about Ashley failing to perfrorm due diligence when he was buying Newcastle. Interesting because I'm told that one of the groups that were trying to buy Pompey have agreed a fee with Gaydamak and are running due diligence right now.

Which of the four groups that were in for us will it be I wonder? Whichever it is, all of them have considerably more money behind them than Gaydamak does. Happy days :D

Guest Hacienda
If the buyers are from the four groups I was told about I don't think spending £130m on a stadium will make much of a dent in their finances. :D

As I said, we'll believe it when we see it.

Interesting quote in the 365 piece about Ashley failing to perfrorm due diligence when he was buying Newcastle. Interesting because I'm told that one of the groups that were trying to buy Pompey have agreed a fee with Gaydamak and are running due diligence right now.

Which of the four groups that were in for us will it be I wonder? Whichever it is, all of them have considerably more money behind them than Gaydamak does. Happy days :D

I'm sorry I don't see how the Ashley story makes the Pompey story any more interesting.

If the buyers are from the four groups I was told about I don't think spending £130m on a stadium will make much of a dent in their finances. :D

Is this from the same source that told you Harry Redknapp was certain to be sacked by Gaydamak, and the same source that told you Bill Gates wanted to buy Pompey?