Best used diesel for £2500 - £3000

O_RLY

Peugeot-Citroen have great diesels and low second hand prices because they don't have the supposed guarantee of quality any German car, which is invariably nonsense. If you want a biggish car the Citroen C5 or Peugeot 407 are very good. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201044372371885/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_7_years_old/fuel-type/diesel/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/price-to/4000/model/c5/make/citroen/page/1/radius/1500/postcode/so166ht?logcode=p

What type of car do you want? Hatchback, Saloon, Estate etc. also anything it must or must not have? Remember some cars with low emissions only pay £35 a year in road tax.

From personal knowledge i'd steer clear of Citroen, Renault and Peugeot saloons which seem to suffer alot of electrical issues whilst the hatchbacks from the same manufacturer are great, its a little odd. Personally i think your best bet are either a Peugeot 307, Citroen C3 or a Skoda Fabia.

From personal knowledge i'd steer clear of Citroen, Renault and Peugeot saloons which seem to suffer alot of electrical issues whilst the hatchbacks from the same manufacturer are great, its a little odd. Personally i think your best bet are either a Peugeot 307, Citroen C3 or a Skoda Fabia.

I bought a Peugeot 406 saloon very cheap a few years ago knowing it had an electrical problem and also knowing what the solution was. The saloons used to be made with a hard rubber gasket around the tail lights, which leaked and water tracked down to the electrical connections in the front floorwells and shorted / corroded them. This problem was cured when they switched to a foam rubber gasket. It isnt something the OP needs to worry about now, unless he were to buy a much older car than he would get for £2,500-£3,500.

mk4 vw Golf gt tdi. They come in 110,115,130 and 150bhp options. as the gt, rather than just tdi, they've got sportier front seats, leather steering wheel, hand brake and other bits like that. The 150bhp is more sort-after, but u might be able to find one for that price. They've got the same torque figures as the 180bhp 1.8 petrol turbo VAG engine of the same age.

I'm looking for something mid-sized maybe atra focus golf sized...could be a bit bigger if it was cheap enough to run. Also good on tax - ideally less than £100 and not really higher than insurance group 10-12 but again the lower the better.

I had a look at the Fabia...they have a few SDI's for this price range? Should I look for something with under 100,000 miles so the turbo isnt knackered? Theres a few 307's if they are any good.

MK4 TDI's seem to have too many miles for the price is my concern as you seem to pay a premium for a Golf badge!

• 2 weeks later...

I just sold my passat TDI with 200,000 miles on the clock and it ran perfectly always getting 50 mpg on motorway runs, had it since 88,000 miles and nothing more than an alternator, discs and pads.

The turbo, gearbox, clutch, exhaust all fine. Depending on how many miles you do any VAG TDI engine with 120,000 will be fine as long as they've been regularly serviced and you keep the servicing up to date.

• 2 weeks later...

would i be in for some stick if I revealed I bought an MG ZR TDI?

It has been well looked after and only has 77k miles! Everything else I looked at had more miles than a jumbo jet, although did lose out to someone else on a Seat TDI as I got there too late! ...so admittedly its basically a Rover - the engine is an L-series diesel though so no nasty headgasket problems!

£1750 off of the owners club, 2001 model...been meticulously looked after and washed/polished regularly! Engine bay is sparkling...

It had a few bits, SDI Injectors and a de-cat and is running about 130 bhp, but I have a new turbo to put in (don't trust old turbo's) and then going to get it mapped to 150 bhp and should be solid! Doesn't need belts for a while yet either...will take a look at the EGR valve too.

I am loving the diesel have come from a old 1.8 MX5 that I swear did about 20 mpg under normal driving...