Anyone remember these ?

Saint in Paradise

• 3 weeks later...
That Classic Capri was one of the best looking cars I ever remember seeing. There was a dark burgundy one featured in Custom Car back in the day.

I wanted that car.

Just to be a complete anorak... The saloon version was produced first and was called the Consul Classic 315 ..... The coupe was called the Consul Capri. They were all made on cheap pressings because they were awaiting the arrival of the Consul Cortina (now referred to as the Mk1 Cortina), and were intended to have a short production life. The Classic originally had a 1340cc version of the Pre-crossflow engine, with only ba 3 bearing crank. Ford had a lot of warrannty repairs because the crank would break .

Just to be a complete anorak... The saloon version was produced first and was called the Consul Classic 315 ..... The coupe was called the Consul Capri. They were all made on cheap pressings because they were awaiting the arrival of the Consul Cortina (now referred to as the Mk1 Cortina), and were intended to have a short production life. The Classic originally had a 1340cc version of the Pre-crossflow engine, with only ba 3 bearing crank. Ford had a lot of warrannty repairs because the crank would break .

Yes. We used to avoid the three bearing crank cars like the plague, you could hear the mains (bearings) hammering when slightly rev'd up to check the engine. The five bearing crank was good though. As for the three bearing crank breaking, i never came across one that did, they just wore out their main bearings prematurely.

I'll take your word for that mate, but I'm sure they called it a Classic capri in that article?? When i get a moment I will dig it out and post it, that car looked absolutely beautiful, and I'm not normally one to get worked up about cars.

I'll take your word for that mate, but I'm sure they called it a Classic capri in that article?? When i get a moment I will dig it out and post it, that car looked absolutely beautiful, and I'm not normally one to get worked up about cars.

Its like alot of things ... when an article is called something for long enough people always refer to it by the 'new' name, and not its real name. Another example is the mk5 Cortina. It never 'officially' existed. The name given to it by Ford and used in all its publicity etc. Was the Cortina 80, because it was only to them an update of the MK 4 Cortina. However everyone has called it the Mk5 so that is the name by which everyone now knows it.

Beautiful car(and lady),but were a rust nightmare.

I owned one a few years ago,it was a 1962 consul classic 315 and had a floor change gearbox,rather than the early column change one.It was under powered by a 1500cc engine and when i was driving over the Itchen Bridge,the gearstick broke ,leaving the car stuck in third gear.Soon got rid of that.

The best car i ever had was a Ford Consul 375 mk2 1960.That had the bench seats ,column change and lots of chrome.I keep looking on E Bay at the few that are still for sale,but although i would love to own an old car again,getting the parts has become a nightmare.

Beautiful car(and lady),but were a rust nightmare.

I owned one a few years ago,it was a 1962 consul classic 315 and had a floor change gearbox,rather than the early column change one.It was under powered by a 1500cc engine and when i was driving over the Itchen Bridge,the gearstick broke ,leaving the car stuck in third gear.Soon got rid of that.

The best car i ever had was a Ford Consul 375 mk2 1960.That had the bench seats ,column change and lots of chrome.I keep looking on E Bay at the few that are still for sale,but although i would love to own an old car again,getting the parts has become a nightmare.

Must have had the same gearbox as the 105E Anglia...that happened to me..fortunately in second.

Oh for the days of driving down to the scrapyard and paying pence for a replacement - really easy to replace as I remember, just unscrewed a cap over the ball bit?