DJs

Rory

Please, no posts like "if you're not mixing with vinyl, what's the point? You're not a true DJ!" because it makes you look totes dated and jel. Get over it, MP3 mixing is the future.

Anyway, I currently use a Numark Mixtrack Pro with Traktor LE but I have Virtual DJ Pro, which is the nuts. However, my laptop just isn't up to scratch and struggles with the might of Virtual DJ.

Should I just stick with Traktor, even though it's less superior but easier to use, or should I plump for a better laptop? If the latter, what laptop would you suggest? I'd ideally like to save for a Mac but it'll take me a long time and want to crack on as soon as possible.

I could have put this on a DJ forum but I consider you all to be my friends and value your opinions.

Do you play out? If so, where?

As for a laptop..... one with a processor that can handle all that audio crunching like a core i7.

It's pricey, but if you're gigging and earning then you should be investing in your set up.

Have you tried using Ableton? My mates swear by it for live performances.

Thanks mate. I don't play out but I am looking to do so. I'd ideally like to play new non-mainstream tracks, rather than play anthems for boozed-up punters, but I realise this will be unlikely.

Ultimately, I'll probably have to shell out for a powerful laptop that I'll solely use for music and gigging. I like the look of the new HP desire range but they cost more than Macs.

Never used Ableton. I'll have a look at it, but it needs to be able to read the Mixtrack interface. The only programmes I know that can use it are Virtual DJ Pro 7 and Traktor.

Alright fella, I borrowed Traktor off a mate for my CDJ's a while back and had problems with my laptop not being good enough. I ended up making it dual boot into a completely clean version of Windows 7 that literally only ran Traktor. Worked fine after that and my Laptop is nothing more than a glorified netbook. Have to say though, I didn't get on with Traktor as I preferred the native control that my CDJ's give.

What sort of music do you play? I'm always interested to hear any demo's people send out as I kind of put a night on in Chester (haven't done one for a while) and are on the look out for anyone new to come and play.