Linux OS

sfc1971

No, but I use Ubuntu. "Better" depends on your definition of how you rate an operating system. Is it more stable and secure? Yes. Does it support as many devices? Pretty much. Would I choose it as an OS over XP? nope...

We started putting it on some ancient PC's (10 years old) and using them as thin clients to our Terminal Server.

Works fine. Certainly a lot faster than Windows.

I've got it at home as a dual boot on my PC. It comes with a lot of software and it's quick.

Compared to Windows? Plusses and minuses, but certainly worth a look.

Any of you guys use Linux ubunto as OS ?

Is it better than windows also how difficult to find your way around, I have a disk that will allow me to trail from disc or install to run alongside windows.

Thanks in advance :)

Ubuntu is more the programmer's OS where Windows is the consumer's OS

Windows is far more user friendly to the average IT numpty whereas Ubuntu is a lot easier to chop and change and fiddle around with where Windows is restrictive

• 2 weeks later...

My laptop dual boots Win7 and LINUX Mint ( based on UBUNTU ). Windows has the advantage of running the Total War series and Football Manager, LINUX is more 'fun' for a techie to play with, and is less vulnerable when shopping or banking online. As you will have seen, modern LINUX distros give you a full GUI and most tasks avoid the command line, so you already have most of the skills required to use it.

On both O/Ss I use FireFox and Open Office,- don't give Micro$oft any more money than necessary.

Edited by badgerx16