...better in the championship....

modern matron

What would it have taken for you to enjoy it?

Honestly I just think it was the fact we were in League One, without wishing to sound like a Johnny Come Lately, and I was also living in Bournemouth at the time which had an impact.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy some bits. Like beating the Franchise, that was lovely. It just always felt like with the football we were playing, the players we had, the attendances we got, all of that kind of thing, we shouldn't have been playing down there. Two years of trips to places like Rochdale and Wycombe took their toll and I can't look back with an awful lot of fondness.

I'm not stupid though, we've no divine right to be in any league but I really didn't like League One.

I spoke to Dean Wilkins before the barnsley match (my son was the mascot) we both agreed that with more footballing teams in the championship Saints would do better as teams won't come to park the bus they will come to play football and this would suit us, and it's working a treat.

I've been looking at it another way. I knew we had good players, we've a good team spirit, a winnning mentality and I was certain they'd do ok (in fact they're doing much better than that) at this level . What has surprised me is how poor most of the champ sides are I expected them to be much better than they have been if I'm honest.