Young jobseekers work for free or lose benefits

pap

I wondered why the long lists of part time jobs in Tesco had disappeared over the last few months! I cannot believe that boots take part in this 'scheme' as they are right up there with there equal rights and strict non discrimination policy.

Apprentice schemes are there to learn a trade, so the time given by the company is training, so you can go on and work in that area. But ou do not need to be trained to stack shelves, and how do these companies view their customer service, as those people are not going to be motivated to give 'great' customer service. I expect they keep them behind closed doors.

The only bonus I can see, and if I was in their position would be to work there for 6 months, and then apply for a job at another supermarket for a job, that is paid. This is what I would do, turn it round to your own gain in the long run.

You need to be paying these people, it is just not right to make people work for nothing!

Personally i'd rather see the work shy slobs in orange boiler suits litter picking or better still take away their council houses and put them in work houses. It really annoys me how these slobs (whole families of several generations) milk the system. I applaud the Conservative led coalition for doing their best to make their cushy lives miserable.

Thankfully Dickens' novels are not political manifestos.

Absolutely mental, isn't it?

In establishing and supporting this scheme, the government has effectively moved thousands of real jobs out of the economy.

This is what happens when you play politics for the right side of the public gallery, utterly counterproductive and fundamentally incompatible with what I'd believe would be a popular sentiment on the right wing - i.e. - that you are paid for the work that you do.

That's a good point. Bloody mental scheme.

Far better putting them to work in community based schemes if a project like this need be done. And then let them apply for the job at tescos etc!

• 2 weeks later...

Tesco now claim the ad is a mistake, and that they meant 'work experience' not 'permanent'. Either way, and beyond being crappy, worthless employers, Tesco are the worst kind of benefits scrounger - getting the government to pay their wage bills.

^^^^^Why am I not surprised at the names of companies participating in this (well, I'm a bit surprised at Sainsburys and Boots actually)I won't be using these companies in future.
its disgustingand i agree with you i can see the idea is good but the companys should top up their pay above their benifits they reciving has they are getting subsidised labour for free.i will be boycotting those companies in future.

its disgustingand i agree with you i can see the idea is good but the companys should top up their pay above their benifits they reciving has they are getting subsidised labour for free.i will be boycotting those companies in future.

Apparently Sainsburys have now withdrawn from this scheme. Today I successfully persuaded my SiL that they should no longer shop at Tescos. When I explained the situation he was horrified. One convert at least!

Apparently Sainsburys have now withdrawn from this scheme. Today I successfully persuaded my SiL that they should no longer shop at Tescos. When I explained the situation he was horrified. One convert at least!
good it needs companys like sainsburys to realise the damage it does to its image and good standing with the public.

Very pleased to hear that Sainsbury's have pulled out of the scheme. Hopefully, the rest will follow like dominoes. Three weeks ago, the Department of Work and Pensions announced that it planned to massively expand the scheme. This idea is pure insanity. Unemployment is at an all time high, so what does the Government do? Take jobs out of the economy, and make people work for free on pain of benefit removal and eventual eviction from their homes.

You don't have to be a genius to figure any of the consequences out. I've witnessed this first hand; Ms pap has been looking for a part-time job for ages, and she's got experience in retail to call on. There is very little out there, and I suspect that the millions of hours of free labour being gifted to major corporations by our Government has something to do with that.

They're extending the scheme to cover people with disabilities.

Some long-term sick and disabled people face being forced to work unpaid for an unlimited amount of time or have their benefits cut under plans being drawn up by the Department for Work and Pensions.

Mental health professionals and charities have told the Guardian they fear that those who have been deemed fit to undertake limited amounts of work under a controversial assessment process could suffer further harm to their health if the plans go ahead

Guardian

If everyone stopped buying frozen meal deals, feed your family for a fiver etc, and bought decent food then you'd be entitled to ***** about corporate supermarkets. No coincidence that out of 200,000 plus new job vacancies this year have been filled by a similar number of migrants. Problem here is the attitude of youngsters, my daughter included, in that when offered an opportunity in a minimum wage environment the reply is generally "I'm not working there, its full of Polish" (add Eastern European nation of choice) End the culture of being owed a living and we might make progress.

Personally i'd rather see the work shy slobs in orange boiler suits litter picking or better still take away their council houses and put them in work houses. It really annoys me how these slobs (whole families of several generations) milk the system. I applaud the Conservative led coalition for doing their best to make their cushy lives miserable.

and what about the majority who are genuine claimants that are on benefits due to long term health problems, whose lives are anything but "cushy"?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/feb/16/disabled-unpaid-work-benefit-cuts

As for this I've haven't seen such a bonkers idea in a very long time. It's right up there with some of Gordon Brown's ideas. A lot of the people won't be motivated to work anyway never mind if they even have the fitness to do so.

It'll take one or two poor sods who have been on benefits for years because of a dodgy ticker to drop down dead whilst stacking shelves and the scheme will be dead and buried due to public outrage alone. That's without all the effects it would have mentioned by people above

Instead of wasting time picking on the poorest and most vulnerable in our society why doesn't the government try doing something constructive, like creating jobs and apprecticeships FFS

TESCO have certainly changed their tune, according to this Daily Mirror article.

The Government’s flagship work experience scheme was unravelling last night as Tesco offered to pay those taking part.

The supermarket giant also announced that anyone taking up a placement would be offered a permanent job provided

their work was up to scratch.

The move follows calls to boycott firms involved in the programme from campaigners who claim it amounts to “workfare” that exploits the jobless.