Creating a Personal Wiki

Deano6

I've been thinking for a while of creating a "personal wiki" (my description, not sure what else to call it) to organise a lot of info that I know but quickly forget, on a range of topics. I want it to be a bit like wikipedia in that each topic includes a bit of description in a way useful to me and hyperlinks to other pages on other related topics (internal and external to other sites). I want it to be on the web so I don't have to save it on any one computer and can access it anywhere. I'm not doing it for the benefit of anyone else on the internet, just for me to reference. That said I'm not sure it needs to be private - won't be anything confidential.

What are my best options for this? There must be places on the web that offer something like this, but I'm not up on this stuff enough to know where to look. I guess it's a little similar to setting up a blog, but there are differences.

I'd suggest you get a cheap web hosting account from someone like sgis.co.uk who will let you do one-click installs of content management systems. I know sgis offer a one click install of a wiki platform called MediaWiki (mediawiki.org) although I've never used it myself. I use sgis.co.uk for personal hosting and their packages start at £10 a year if you've already got a domain.

Alternatively, if you've got no money or a complete lack of technical knowledge you can go for something like http://www.wikihost.org/ which will you offer a similar concept to what you might be used to if you've used the default hosting options at blogger.com or wordpress (i.e. they host it for you).

Use Dokuwiki for doing something like this. Paying for a hosted personal domain/website so added it on as well. Works quite well, especially as info is password protected so I can look it up from where ever I am. Not sure it worth jumping through hoops just for that but easy to add if you already have a site. I use mythic beasts for hosting (recommended + local to me). Sure there are others cheaper but it works well for me.

Is this of any use:

Zim

Version: 0.54

File Size: 21.49

License: Free

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7,Microsoft Windows Vista,Microsoft Windows XP

Take the power and flexibility of a wiki (like Wikipedia), wrap

it with a friendly Windows installer, and make it run as a local

application, no server needed. You've got Zim (free): a personal

open-source wiki for managing your knowledge, tasks, and

calendar.

- Erez Zukerman

Read more and download this software:

http://lm.pcworld.com/t/3446974/6590667/295939/0/