Radical New Experiment Idea

Gemmel

We don't play 4-5-1, we play two defensive midfielders, then three attacking midfielders, then a striker. The striker should be supported by the three attacking midfielders with the wingers getting in crosses and the central attacking midfielder supporting the striker. It has worked in terms of positional play during most home games that I've seen this season, but at the moment DMG isn't a clinical enough finisher, Lallana can't shoot for toffee, and the wingers are generally realy young and need time to build confidence.

I agree with DT, we need to get the defence sorted and stable, then make sure we have confident players on the wings. I also agree with Steve that Jason Euell could play a big role in this system as an attacking midfielder / striker.

I don't think that we will be more successful with 4-2-2 as a starting line up as we don't have a natural strike partnership at the club and will be unlikely to achieve the same level of movement and passing from a flat 4 in midfield. The one potential benefit is that we might be able to defend a bit better if we get two banks of four behind the ball when we are under pressure, but I can't see us being more attacking in a 4-4-2 formation.