Anyone got car with VW DSG gearbox?

sotonjoe

Got a Skoda Octavia VRS with the DSG box and it's really good. Really easy driving experience, almost imperceptible gear changes and flappy paddles to play around with if you get bored.

How do you find yourself using it most of the time? Do you leave it in auto unless you're having a blast?

From reading about DSG and seeing posts about it on Briskoda.net they seem to fail a lot and have various other problems.

I'm not sure about that. You always get people moaning about broken bits on their cars on owners forums as that's one of the main roles the forums have. If they were THAT unreliable, then we'd have head much more about it in mainstream motoring media etc.

The boxes do obviously have additional servicing requirements though (think it's an oil change at 40k miles) and are costly to replace.

If you can afford one with a DSG then do they are very good on the Golf, very easy to use/drive with. Was driving a remapped gti a couple of months back and the overall performance was immense!

You wont regret it I promise.

What was it like when slowing almost to a stop a roundabouts and the pulling away? Some people say it lags then as it struggles to find the right gear.

Given that the manual gearbox in a Golf is still one of the worst (no feel, sloppy changes, flappy clutch pedal) in a mainstream car I'd go for one.

Make sure that whatever car you buy has full service history, the DSG is highly complex and needs the right care and attention (correct fluids and service intervals etc.)

FWIW if you get a transmission problem on a manual Golf you're still looking at a big bill because of the dual mass flywheel and the fact that the slave cylinder is inside the gearbox. Just had a full transmission service on my 02 Golf TDI and got a few pence change from a grand - new clutch, flywheel, and ancillaries. Admittedly mine has 170k on the clock and was still on the original clutch...

If you read enough forum posts you'll scare yourself off a DSG, there are regular horror stories about the DSG. I would probably avoid a 10yo/high-miler but something newer should be fine (if serviced correctly).

• 3 weeks later...