How to ruin a football club in less than 5 years

Thedelldays

LOL

you could not make it up..

less than 5 years ago we played pompey at home in the league and beat them (easily) 3-0 and went 4th in the table (PREMIERSHIP)...we had some bloody good players with a top english striker...

we had it all, full stadiums every week, fans even raising the question about making SMS bigger, we had a Euro (brief) adventure, we had a manager we all absolutely loved and we all thought we were about to embark on a new era for SFC and cement ourselves in the top 8 and regulalry challenge for the UEFA cup...

oh my god, how wrong did it go...in less than 5 years we are an absolute shambles and staring L1 and administration right in the face....it is not a question of IF but WHEN on both front...

that is probably why I could not care less about the club anymore....why should I keep going when fundemtal mistakes are being made by those who look after MY club..I simply cannot trust them to use my money wisely...

is that so bad...?

... I hate to write this, but my mate is a Pompey fan(I know, i know, I know) but a few years ago - not that many, i remember him going to Huddersfield on the final day of the season for a game they had to win to stay in the Championship - or whatever it was then. Anyway they won it and from there look where they have got to - A cup in the bag and in Europe! All I am saying (before the condemnation starts) is the fact that we are having some very bad times at the moment but it will come round for us - you can't stop believing or following the team just because it is beng run by a complete boc - get behind the lads and cheer them on - we have to stay in this division (how many times in the early ninetys did we think we were chasing a lost cause - but we managed to come through. Things conspired against us in four years ago but it does n't have to be that way now.

... as a post scrip my mate followed them through all the **** times when they were really crap - but upon having a second child last year did n't renew his season ticket for last season so therefore could n't get a ticket for the cup final! - I just think this is why I am so keen on the idea of introducing a loyalty card where you gain points for matches that you go to now so that when the good times come again (which they will) the fans that have stayed loyal and watched all of this don't get fu'cked over

Wrong ! Lowe knew that we needed a man of stauts and experience to take saints through difficult times. He showed leadership in the sense that he was prepared to forgive Hoddle's earlier departure for the good of the club.

The plan was in place but it was scuppered when Hoddle was put off by the gobby minority and a few spineless members of the board who pandered to those vocal idiots.

Oh please come on.

Its been said thousands of times before,if Hoddle was any good,he would have done well at Spurs or even Wolves.

But he didnt and i doubt he would have done anything here the second time around.

Oh please come on.

Its been said thousands of times before,if Hoddle was any good,he would have done well at Spurs or even Wolves.

But he didnt and i doubt he would have done anything here the second time around.

But he would have been better than PS and Wigley, surely !

Oh please come on.

Absolutely, Hoddle had his chance here and moved on, then became a failure. It's now time for Dalek to move on and get over his love affair with Hoddle.

Absolutely, Hoddle had his chance here and moved on, then became a failure. It's now time for Dalek to move on and get over his love affair with Hoddle.

Sorry mate it would be to convenient to bury this crucial piece of the clubs history so that it was forgotten about.

It was the turning point of the club. Lowe should have resigned when he sacked Sturrock and those few, and I mean few, fans that helped to scupper the appointment of Glenn Hoddle need to come clean.

Furthermore there are people on the board that need to explain themselves !!!!!!!!!

Sturrock was not given a chance and Hoddle could of been worse than Wigley, one thing is for sure we will never know who would of been better. It's history so get over it.

You really are stretching things if you think Hoddle could have been worse than Hoddle. I suppose Ferguson could be worse than Portaloo !!!!!!

Sorry mate it would be to convenient to bury this crucial piece of the clubs history so that it was forgotten about.

It was the turning point of the club. Lowe should have resigned when he sacked Sturrock and those few, and I mean few, fans that helped to scupper the appointment of Glenn Hoddle need to come clean.

Furthermore there are people on the board that need to explain themselves !!!!!!!!!

Do not hold your breath, spineless guy and his gang of worms have kept quite since 1997 when they sold the club for personal gain rather than the benefit of Southampton Football Club and conned the fans with a PLC which has always acted as a private company

Do not hold your breath' date=' spineless guy and his gang of worms have kept quite since 1997 when they sold the club for personal gain rather than the benefit of Southampton Football Club and conned the fans with a PLC which has always acted as a private company[/quote']

Quite right. While Lowe, quite rightly takes the flack, they will never admit their own part in the downfall of this club. I do not want the club to go bust, but one of the few bits of silver lining could be that we get rid of the spineless cowards that support the follies and then fade into the background comforting their G & T's and Port !

1. You did airbrush Lowe's role out in that post.

2. If Lowe had stayed in charge, what is happening now would have happened 18months earlier. Flog the decent players/high wager earners (though in this case to get the right results to pay dividends), push the kids, alienate fan base, administration

3.The "gamble" as you describe it failed, yes. I for one think it was worth the risk, especially if we had tried it a year earlier, been more ambitious and had kept the likes of Kevin Phillips. Oh, remind me, who ****ed all the players off with his 50% clauses ? Also, the "gamble" would have succeeded but for a cretinous drunk of a manager.

No I didn't just leave Lowe out, I have acknowledged his part in our relegation in other threads. His part of things is not relevant to my original post in that he wasn't here when Hone and his bunch of dickheads gambled our club's future.

I don't understand the logic of the gamble being worth the risk, because the aftermath of the failed gamble is what we have now.

I'm sure you are right in that cuts would have been made by Lowe earlier, but they needn't have been as stringent as they have been this time, but he wasn't here and more money was spent than we had.

If memory serves me right, Kevin Phillips wanted to get away from Saints for personal reasons, ie his wife's inability to keep her knickers on (allegedly)

If you read "The Beautiful Game" you would realise that many clubs who were relegated before us had wanted relegation clauses inserted in their players contracts, but player power meant that many of them couldn't achieve it. The fact that Lowe managed to get any player to sign such a clause was good business, and let's not forget that many of the players didn't have those clauses, only some of them.

You can only speculate what might have happened if another manager had been in charge. The fact is many of us thought Burley was a superb appointment at the time, and it's only with hindsight that we regret he ever got anywhere near our club. The fact is the gamble did not succeed and we are all the worse off because of it.