"Steer-by-wire" systems to feature in Nissan Road cars

Colinjb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19979380

Soon to follow should therefore also be breaking system... thus severing all mechanical links between driver and road.

I would in no way want to drive a car with a system like this, despite the miniscule chance of anything catastrophic happening... (hopefully.... thank god it isn't Toyota pioneering this.)

Thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19979380

Soon to follow should therefore also be breaking system... thus severing all mechanical links between driver and road.

I would in no way want to drive a car with a system like this, despite the miniscule chance of anything catastrophic happening... (hopefully.... thank god it isn't Toyota pioneering this.)

Thoughts?

I think you mean "Braking"

• 2 weeks later...

Colin, I know its counter-intuitive, but I work in this industry and you would not believe the amount of effort that is going into these systems to make them safety-critical. We are having to almost match aircraft and military functional safety requirements at a fraction of the cost. Look up ISO 26262 on the net for more information.

Colin, I know its counter-intuitive, but I work in this industry and you would not believe the amount of effort that is going into these systems to make them safety-critical. We are having to almost match aircraft and military functional safety requirements at a fraction of the cost. Look up ISO 26262 on the net for more information.

Oh, I know the efforts that will be made. I work in the automotive industry and with automotive suppliers myself. The margins for error before anything is released into the public domain are beyond miniscule.......

....But it's just knowing, knowing my hand movements are not directly effecting mechanical motion but generating electrical impulses. Would it just be driving 'feel' that is sacrificed? The whole notion of it makes me extremely uncomfortable.

I love my cruise control and silky smooth 6 speed auto gearbox.

How I would love to plot in a GPRS code and just lay back in comfort and read while everything was done for me.

I used to love driving but now I find it a chore.

Unfortunately I doubt whether I'll be around when it comes,

but just imagine- no more impatient twits up tail, no more idiots racing up my 30mph residential street,

no more queue jumping, just orderly computer controlled smooth progress.