Mastertapes: Radio 4

saintbletch

Just wanted to highlight this excellent series on Radio 4 recorded at the Maida Vale studios.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nr9tv/episodes/guide

I've been listening to the podcast so I'm not sure when it's broadcast live. John Wilson talks to 7 artists in detail about the making of a seminal album from their collection.

Next up is Paul Weller on The Gift. Previous episodes focussed on Suzanne Vega's Solitude Standing and Billy Bragg's Talking to the Taxman About Poetry.

Wilson tries to get into the mind of the younger artist to understand their motivation and discusses in detail the rationale behind the songs. The artist also plays live versions of the songs from their albums.

I don't know what other artists are coming up, but if you like any of the three above (as I do) then you're in for a real treat.

• 6 months later...

New series started last week (or maybe a one-off) featuring Wilko Johnson (ex of Dr Feelgood). Never quite got them or their influence on punk but I can hear it now with hindsight. Even if you don't like the music its well worth listening to, great anecdotes.

New series started last week (or maybe a one-off) featuring Wilko Johnson (ex of Dr Feelgood). Never quite got them or their influence on punk but I can hear it now with hindsight. Even if you don't like the music its well worth listening to, great anecdotes.

Saw him back in Oct, sadly he's not going to be with us much longer. There was talk of a book, but don't know how his illness has affected the writing of it. If you get a chance watch oil city confidential, lots of stories and explanations of the way they influenced the punk generation. Underrated band that went to pot when wilko left.