Windows 8 - crap ?

Badger

Anyone else found this to be an obstacle course to navigate, and a pain in the ar$e in its failure to recognise previously installed items ie printers, usb memory sticks etc ?

If so, how did you get round the problem ?

Badger,

How are you finding Windows 8?

I'm looking to upgrade my laptop and not being confident in building my own it looks as though I am going to need to buy one with Windows 8 pre-installed.

You can find some still being supplied with Windows 7 but very few.

I'm a bit worried that the user interface will drive me up the wall.

Thanks,

CS

And before anybody tries to be a smart @ rse I don't want a Mac. ;)

I think you can - but not permanently.

Every time you boot it will take you into the metro (or whatever its called) page and you have to manaually change to the desktop every time you log on.

I've no idea how you do this and it may be very easy but it still seems irritating.

No, you can set it to boot to the desktop. Best way is actually to install a 3rd party app to replace the start button (pokki is surprisingly good).

The changes to the windows ui in win8 are totally counter productive without a touchscreen. The *sole* advantage with a desktop is that it runs slightly quicker than win7, but nowhere near enough to make the workarounds worthwhile. Best advice I can give you is when your machine arrives, format it and install win7.

I've grown used to Windows 8 now, and I actually quite like it.

Drivers etc will get better as time passes and all the 3rd parties get their code updated to be compatible. To be honest, I've not had any issue with drivers yet, everything simply works.

Biggest tip I can provide to people to help with navigation, is when in Desktop mode, move your mouse to where the start button would have been, and right click on the 'Metro' image that appears. This right click pulls up a list of loads of really useful tools (Control Panel, Run, Event Viewer, Task Manager etc).