Mazda RX8

maddog

I own one and it is fantastic, drives like a dream. watch the Clarkson review on youtube, it isn't far off.

No other car I have ever owned has made me laugh and smile so much. Plus its comfrotable to drive at low speeds and will seat 4 adults unlike so many other 2+2s

As fast round the TG track as an M3 at the time it was made. Plus you get to say ****el in public

downsides - road tax is expensive, you get through a LOT of oil because of the ****el, fuel economy is awful.

But I wouldn't change mine for the world

Performance is not mediocre, you drive it differently as the engine is a complete novelty. The torque and the power is all at the high end of the revs as the engine revs up to nearly 10k, the handling is sublime and I have owned jags mercs and BMWs

Had mine 6 years and have had 0 problems with breakdowns and reliability , like most Jap cars its one of the strong points.

If you are buying second hand just make sure the previous owner looked after the engine and topped up the oil after every other fuel up.

I get about 250 miles out of a tank. when you are in 2nd and at 9.5k revs the world goes blurry and it is a wonderful thing.

Crappest snow car I have ever owned though, really awful at that.

Performance is extremely mediocre, a 0-60 of between 6 and 7 seconds is terrible for the MPG it does. High end power is also not a positive thing, it's a negative.

Again, no it's not, even the owners clubs say the reliability is god awful on them, and the price suggests as such. Like I say there's a reason they're so cheap and it's not because they're good.

A friend has one. She is forever taking it into the garage to get things fixed on it and it is very expensive to do so. Nevertheless she's happy to fork out on it as she enjoys it when it's working. It's her first car although she is 30. She pays £2k per year on the insurance!

• 2 weeks later...

Never had one go wrong once in 6 years. Clearly some don't like it, best car I have ever driven, the handling is sublime and the ride is comfortable. I have owned an M3, a lotus and a Nissan 350z and I have more fun in he rx8 , just my opinion I know, but I'm sticking with it.

My little brother and I went through a stage of being all "Tokyo drift". He had an RX-8 and I owned three various 350z, each increasing in horsepower.

The 350z was/is a very fun car, but my borther's RX-8, despite being slower made me smile just as much - I did also like the fact you could stick 4 adults in comfort in it. It chewed oil in ridiculous quanities and the MPG is very very poor for the performance. I was gutted when he sold it and bought a Mini GP works with silly red door mirrors - yeah, lots faster than the RX-8, but it never bought the same smile to my face - he only kept that 4 months, says it all.

I do love my Japanese cars and I still wouldn't mind relieving my Civic Type-R days from 2001 when they came out. Fantastic car, great fun - would love to find a non-abused one as a run around, but chances of one being "non-abused" will be minimal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bit late on this one but should people look at it in future you need to be aware of a potential hot start issue http://www.rotaryrevs.com/content/rx-8-hot-start-problem

For me, being a kid of the '80s I'd much prefer a mid-90s RX-7 - mindblowingly awesome car and very tuneable. Went out for a few laps as a passenger with a pro driver at Donington and the thing was so stable and fast, pretty much with no effort.