Thunderbird email programme no longer working - suggestions welcome

Kingsland Codger

I use the email programme Thunderbird and this has been working just fine for well over a year.

Yesterday, there were no incoming emails and I could not send emails.

I can access my email accounts using webmail and can see there are emails sitting which have arrived and, using webmail, I can send emails. But Thunderbird doesn't download them. I conclude from this there is nothing wrong with the email system but the problem lies with Thunderbird.

I have not touched any of the settings - Thunderbird just stopped working, but with no indication this was the case. I haven't received any error message and it would appear emails have been sent but clearly they haven't as I have tried out test messages to check.

I am completely bewildered. Any and all sensible suggestions welcomed, please.

I fear I may have to install a completely new email programme and, if so, any suggestions for alternatives, please?

Does Thunderbird not display connection messages ?

Have you looked here - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Cannot_send_mail

I am getting no messages from Thunderbird re connection. All appears well, the programme even tells me the number of emails awaiting download - but nothing happens.

Emails I believe I have sent are showing in the Sent box as having been delivered, but the intended recipients have not got them and my own tests show the same problem - all indications are the programme is working well ... only it isn't. Bewildering.

I am getting no messages from Thunderbird re connection. All appears well, the programme even tells me the number of emails awaiting download - but nothing happens.

Emails I believe I have sent are showing in the Sent box as having been delivered, but the intended recipients have not got them and my own tests show the same problem - all indications are the programme is working well ... only it isn't. Bewildering.

Might it may be a problem with your mail server?

And, every bit as bewilderingly, the email programme now downloads and sends emails just at it did before.

Working just fine on Monday, not functioning on Tuesday, Wednesday nor Thursday morning - and as if someone sprinkled fairy-dust on the problem, all is now working again. Many thanks for your concern.

Sometimes I wonder if these technology thingies aren't a bit like humans ...

And, every bit as bewilderingly, the email programme now downloads and sends emails just at it did before.

Working just fine on Monday, not functioning on Tuesday, Wednesday nor Thursday morning - and as if someone sprinkled fairy-dust on the problem, all is now working again. Many thanks for your concern.

Sometimes I wonder if these technology thingies aren't a bit like humans ...

Good, panic over but these things are a worry. It does sound like you email server people, have you tried a look at the support pages on their website for a log of their problems?