Liverpool FC. Is it time to stop any further deals?

SaintRobbie

As long as Liverpool match the highest offer and it's above our asking price then I couldn't care less, we are not and never will be rivals.

We were in the 83/84 season, it is the cheque book syndrome coupled with the money coming into the premiership that has changed all that.

We were in the 83/84 season, it is the cheque book syndrome coupled with the money coming into the premiership that has changed all that.

Well I think having a ground with a 15500 capacity helped us to not move up a gear at the start of the PL as well. When gate receipts were still important having about a quarter of the revenues of top sides certainly didn't help.

It's a shame that the products of our academy are being courted in this way, but it is a clear sign that we are able to produce the very best players and there is no reason that we cannot continue to do so. There will come a time when these youngsters realise that their colleagues who left for the so called big clubs will spend less time playing for them than they would have with us, and sooner or later if we keep the team strong with good players bought in, we will ourselves become good enough to keep them.

This is the thing:

In the olden days, we'd quite often have a youngish player (maybe two at once!) who would catch the eye of the greater public. We knew then that they'd probably leave - as the saying went "for the chance to win things."

I used sometimes to think that if they were that good, perhaps they could have stayed here and help US win things... of course that was a thought which was never in my head for long enough to ever say it out loud. While there was only ONE 'top top player' in the squad, we weren't ever going to win things, not really.

Later on, we'd quite often have a youngish player (maybe two at once!) who would catch the eye of the greater public. We knew then that they'd probably leave - as the saying went "for the chance to win things."

In those days, the cynical knee-jerk response was "Ha! For the money, more like - I hope you're happy to sit on the bench you greedy b*stard."

Now, we've somehow managed to gather four or five pretty decent players, three or four of whom are, or could be, in the England team for the World Cup, and most of whom look likely to come under pressure, at least, to leave "for the chance to win things."

Which is why it's so frustrating: the fact is that if these players stayed, and we added a few, we could really be close to winning things here. Now you can say this out loud, and not everyone will shout you down for being stupid.

And they've all got to go to fupping LIVERPOOL apparently.

I have update The great Bill Shankly quote as if bloody Rodgers came out with it

Some people believe football is a matter of life and death....

I can assure you it is much more improtant than that...

Its about stealing Saints players for a pittence , that how much more important it is

Well I think having a ground with a 15500 capacity helped us to not move up a gear at the start of the PL as well. When gate receipts were still important having about a quarter of the revenues of top sides certainly didn't help.

Good Point Window Cleaner, and absolutely right.