I need a couple of guinea pigs...

saintbletch

Bletch, I’ve been abroad for a week and deliberately cut myself off from all forms of news and communication during that time. On my return I’ve found your zeitgeist very useful for quickly catching up with events! Excellent resource, sir!

Pity it couldn’t tell me whose f*cking dog it was shat on my drive when I was away. :x

Idea: Now that ZSM is trawling SaintsWeb, how about personalised word clouds for individual users?

Not that I'm expecting incontrovertible proof or anything, but it would be interesting to see just how often alpine posts a word that might be considered positive, and how often pap uses the word 'conspiracy'... amongst others...

Edited by Minty

I think goatboy-drink-gibberish works.

Art imitating life, Gay Boot?

BTW you do realise that once the TSW-trawling feature is available later today, you will be able to influence the word cloud.

Just go into TMS, post the word **** multiple times, then press F5 in ZSM until you align your Nemesis's name with ****.

Great game. What's not to love?

P.S. Me referring to you as Gay Boot is my effort to keep Gay in the Word Cloud. Oh, did I mention the word "Gay"?

I've been learning git and had to look that up.

Looks like git's version of a symbolic link. I'd say it's most useful for peeps that have a set of common libraries (base, data, etc) they want to include in their bespoke projects, but don't want to have to rely on parent path file structures to reference them. That's very useful, actually - bletch. Might use it myself.

Nightmare, papster. Heroku - the cloud platform containing the virtual servers where the ZSM applications are hosted, uses Git as the deployment mechanism. I store my code on Github and I then do a Git push to Heroku. However, as my Github repositories are private, when Heroku goes off to pull the private Git submodule repositories from Github, it needs authentication! Held me up for quite some time I can tell you. I use Git in a very naive way, I must say that the really powerful features confuse the hell out of me. When your Dev Team is comprised of one part time hacker, you don't really need all the features.

Idea: Now that ZSM is trawling SaintsWeb, how about personalised word clouds for individual users?

Not that I'm expecting incontrovertible proof or anything, but it would be interesting to see just how often alpine posts a word that might be considered positive, and how often pap uses the word 'conspiracy'... amongst others...

Where've you been Minty? That's what started me on this slippery slope.

Have a trawl back through The 'The saintbletch "Hilarious fun with words" thread' thread. You'll see a bunch of word clouds and time charts.

However, the 'clever' stuff, if there is any clever stuff in ZSM, is the temporal element - it's seeing the change over time. To do this is quite 'expensive' in terms of computing power and storage.

So I wouldn't want to do that just to produce a word cloud for an individual user, as it would overwhelm my servers, but I could allow you to create them on the fly. i.e. you supply the user, I search for their last 500 posts (that's a Tapatalk limitation BTW), and make a word cloud from them.

However, if I made that feature freely available then The Man's TSW servers would be taking quite a pounding. So it's possible, but it needs a bit of thought.

I think it's pretty clear from the preceding posts that Lou Reed died a few months too soon. Had he lived, he'd doubtless now be penning a bleak masterpiece describing the agony felt by the denizens of TMS at the loss of their word clouds. We all feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive...

To further prove that we are kindred spirits Fowllyd, in my post to Plastic I actually started to type about him "waiting for the man".

Spooky.

I'm now imagining a scene reminiscent of the one played out by Oliver Reed and Alan Bates in Woman in Love, (Did I ever tell you that I was in a Ken Russell film?) where you and I are oiled up and wrestling over a scrabble board.

Good job I only thought that, and didn't say any of it 'out loud'.

Bletch, I’ve been abroad for a week and deliberately cut myself off from all forms of news and communication during that time. On my return I’ve found your zeitgeist very useful for quickly catching up with events! Excellent resource, sir!

Pity it couldn’t tell me whose f*cking dog it was shat on my drive when I was away. :x

Glad to hear it Halo.

BTW regarding your 'muck mystery', it was one of Toke's dogs that walked on your drive.

But whilst I can't betray a confidence, if you have the **** DNA tested it'll come back 'human' and will be found to contain an suspiciously high percentage of raw fish for a western diet.

If you get my drift.

Nightmare, papster. Heroku - the cloud platform containing the virtual servers where the ZSM applications are hosted, uses Git as the deployment mechanism. I store my code on Github and I then do a Git push to Heroku. However, as my Github repositories are private, when Heroku goes off to pull the private Git submodule repositories from Github, it needs authentication! Held me up for quite some time I can tell you. I use Git in a very naive way, I must say that the really powerful features confuse the hell out of me. When your Dev Team is comprised of one part time hacker, you don't really need all the features.

I've used tons of different versioning systems over the years, if you count five as "tons".

What I really like about git is the return to the command line. I've been win-based for the last decade or so, although I started out in the Unix world. Accordingly, I've spent too much time mucking about through the abstraction of a GUI. git comes with bash, so I've been enjoying all of the piped one-liners which make you look like Gandalf to your peers*.

* A benefit I no longer have, working from home :(

I've used tons of different versioning systems over the years, if you count five as "tons".

What I really like about git is the return to the command line. I've been win-based for the last decade or so, although I started out in the Unix world. Accordingly, I've spent too much time mucking about through the abstraction of a GUI. git comes with bash, so I've been enjoying all of the piped one-liners which make you look like Gandalf to your peers*.

It's like reading Swahili.

To further prove that we are kindred spirits Fowllyd, in my post to Plastic I actually started to type about him "waiting for the man".

Spooky.

I'm now imagining a scene reminiscent of the one played out by Oliver Reed and Alan Bates in Woman in Love, (Did I ever tell you that I was in a Ken Russell film?) where you and I are oiled up and wrestling over a scrabble board.

Good job I only thought that, and didn't say any of it 'out loud'.

In front of a roaring fire, eh? How could I possibly refuse? But I didn't say that either.

I've always tended to hear the third line as "Up to Lexicon, 125..." though sadly Lou makes no mention of syntax. He should.

Incidentally, I think 'Goy Boat' works rather well, though it'll need to be taken up pretty much universally to get 'Goy' into the word cloud. Very Lenny Bruce, anyway.

Ok Muppets, I've put up a new version that monitors TSW and allows you to click the words to go search TSW. Be warned it will probably be pretty "unstable on the back-end"*.

The Twitter stuff seems to be OK, and shouldn't be affected by any bugs, but the stuff I've done to allow ZSM to monitor the forums on The Saints Web needs a bit more TLC still.

I'd really appreciate some testing and some feedback. If you've got a moment to read the nonsense below, please do and provide feedback, if not skip to the end and have a play...

Things that I know about and plan to address.

---

1) Colours - At the moment the colours you see show what is trending up, down or staying stable. These colours are based on the rate of change in the popularity of the words that I observe over 'n' minutes. Currently the 'n' number that I'm looking back over can be seen at the bottom left of the window:

WhCkBOuhiv8M.png

It's 15 minutes in the example above. I will allow the user to change that soon between 2, 5, 15 and 60 minutes.

There are two problems. Firstly, and there's little I can do about this, but if the forum has no traffic then it has no 'change' in the word frequencies, so I have to show the words in the neutral colour 'grey' (unless you've changed it). So if little has happened over the last 15 minutes, expect to see a lot of grey.

Secondly, there is an insidious bug that I can't figure out that seems to make the words grey even though there have been changes in frequency. I'll get that fixed, but would value some monitoring of that, it will likely mean that you see a lot of grey until I find out what's going on.

2) Update frequency - The back-end processes that monitor TSW are reliant of Tapatalk and that is pretty much a law unto itself. Whereas Twitter simply shovels tweets into the gaping mouth of my program without me doing anything (well other than making sure I can swallow its load without spitting), I have to regularly log into to TSW and search for the latest posts. Half the time when there are new posts, I don't get them and then I get a bunch in one go. I think this is Tapatalk's way of throttling the demand it places on the servers. This all means that I can't rely on checking TSW every minute as I can with Twitter. Plus, if I logged into The Man's servers that often and searched and downloaded posts, then I'd be rightfully infracted.

So instead I've had to move the update frequency out to every 5 minutes (I think this may be related to the colour bug I mentioned above). So again you may notice little change from time to time. I might set the time to 300 seconds too, to make it clear how often this is getting updated.

3) Updates stopping - The infamous back-end processes seem to be a little unstable at the moment - especially those connected to getting information via Tapatalk. As a result it's possible that the updates from the forum will stop. The way you will know if they have stalled is that the date and time in the bottom right hand corner will be out of sync with the current time.

Nik0rG2I9sWb.png

At the moment this is the GMT time and will therefore be out by roughly an hour with BST. So, if you do an F5 or ZSM updates the word cloud because the counter has reached zero, and you see a time that is significantly out of sync with the then current GMT time, the chances are that the rats have chewed through some ZSM cabling.

Please let me know as I will have to restart things on the servers.

The new ZSM word clouds...

The Saints - http://www.zeitgeistmarys.com/desktop-only/270614/5

The Lounge - http://www.zeitgeistmarys.com/desktop-only/270614/6

The Muppet Show - http://www.zeitgeistmarys.com/desktop-only/270614/7

The Arts - http://www.zeitgeistmarys.com/desktop-only/270614/8

and the #saintfc Twitter monitoring is here: http://www.zeitgeistmarys.com/desktop-only/270614/1

Bletch.

*Fnarr, fnarr - this is geek speak for the programs that run on the servers that you don't usually get to see directly.

Toke's a ****.

Edited by saintbletch

"amp"?

Yes, well spotted Pancake.

I've noticed it for a while, but bloody mindedness has stopped me fixing it, as having checked the code it just "shouldn't be there".

If I had the arrogance of a proper programmer, I'd tell you that you can't have seen it because the code doesn't allow it to be there!

Basically, the & symbol on URL links gets converted to "amp" in certain circumstances (you may also see gt ">" and lt "

I'll take another look at the code and see if I can figure out why it's there. If I can't, it's simple to add it to the terms that I'm ignoring.

Thanks for taking the time to mention it.

Bletch.

Are you sure it was just your Unix shell skills that made you look like Gandalf?

Get your hair cut!

Ok Muppets, I've released another version. If you hover over the timer and click, you will be taken to the settings page. From there you can now change the number of 'words' that the word cloud displays and also change the trending minutes. The maximum number of words is 150, but you can now select from 10 to 150 words in increments of 10.

This is the first step to making the transition to support mobiles and tablets.

150 'words'

QyT6TGfpUN5q.png

90 'words'

R4285r_c76pL.png

40 'words'

DpdjrYp4TI8q.png

It now also allows you to change the Trending minutes to 2, 5, 15 and 60. Previously this was stuck on 15. This changes how many minutes ZSM should look back to determine which trending colours to use.

i.e. it compares the number of times the word has been seen now, to how many times it was seen 2, 5 15 or 60 minutes ago, and that determines the degree of up-, or down-trend colour it uses.

It basically allows you to use the colours to highlight shorter-term or longer-term trends.

This is more important for the TSW forum monitoring, as I sometimes have to push open a creaking and cobweb-covered door to gain access to TMS and The Arts. So setting the Trending Minutes to 60, gives the best chance of seeing trends. Even then, if there has been no activity then the words will still appear grey.

Links...

The Saints - http://www.zeitgeistmarys.com/desktop-only/270614/5

The Lounge - http://www.zeitgeistmarys.com/desktop-only/270614/6

The Muppet Show - http://www.zeitgeistmarys.com/desktop-only/270614/7

The Arts - http://www.zeitgeistmarys.com/desktop-only/270614/8

and the familiar #saintfc Twitter monitoring is here: http://www.zeitgeistmarys.com/desktop-only/270614/1.

Oh, and I think that I've fixed the bug that meant that the TSW forum monitoring nearly always appeared grey. We'll see.

Bletch.

Says it all really...

-WQMIRiTRu2C.png

(Purple trending up, yellow trending down, grey stable).

It's been interesting to watch the trends on ZSM over the last 24 hours as various bladders have leaked into the cots of bedwetters and trainer-pants wearers alike.

Amazing new feature!

ZSM no longer forces you to wait for the counter to hit zero before it refreshes and animates. If it thinks that there is a new word cloud to show, it will spin the counter down from where it currently is to zero - in just three seconds. This means that you can leave the browser tab open and just flick back to it and instead of then waiting for the counter to hit zero, it will automatically refresh with new information.

If you see something in the word cloud that you want to investigate within the 3 seconds, simply move the pointer into the cloud and the timer will stop and then behave like normal.

WOW!

The current zeitgeist of The Saints Forum...

HKAFyGDX5dAU.png

Oh, and instead of adding the raw thread title text to the word cloud for TSW forums (which was having a disproportionately significant effect), I now make the thread title text less important. i.e. the text in a post is currently 4 times more important/significant than the text of the title. As you can see above, this has helped to surface more details of the discussions that are happening on here.

Test post, please ignore...

[TABLE=width: 100%, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]#[/TD]

[TD]Most

mentioned[/TD]

[TD]Trending

up[/TD]

[TD]Trending

down[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]asdasd[/TD]

[TD]l;lk;lk[/TD]

[TD]p[oip[oi[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]qwe[/TD]

[TD]qw[/TD]

[TD]cs[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]sdcf[/TD]

[TD]sdf[/TD]

[TD]sdf[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]sadf[/TD]

[TD]sdfg[/TD]

[TD]dbf[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]sdwqe[/TD]

[TD]sdf[/TD]

[TD]wesdf[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]sdfsdw[/TD]

[TD]sdfsdf[/TD]

[TD]sdfsdf[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]wetrwe[/TD]

[TD]dgdfg[/TD]

[TD]dfgdfg[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]sd[/TD]

[TD]sdfg2[/TD]

[TD]sef3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]9[/TD]

[TD]sdf[/TD]

[TD]sdfw[/TD]

[TD]sdef[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]sdgf3[/TD]

[TD]sdgf[/TD]

[TD]sadf[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Toke's a ****

Still brilliant. Thanks!

One comment, launching this website using chrome for iOS froze my phone and required a hard reset - not tried since. Are you looking to support mobile browsers? Ta.

Glad to hear it Plastic. I will be making it more mobile-friendly in time, but at the moment my free time is going on making ZSM post summaries of trends to The Saints Web. More to follow on that.

One thing you can do now to make it more-mobile friendly, is to change the maximum number of words down from the default 150 to something between 70 and 90. This gives the mobile/tablet less work to do.

As for hanging Chrome on iOS, did I really do that? #soproud

Can you reproduce it, Plastic? Does it happen often, or after it's been running for a certain amount of time? I'm not doing anything especially 'clever', so I'm surprised that it died. Any further information would be good.

Cheers, Bletch.

No problem - yes I also thought it was quite an achievement! :)

Happened as soon as I opened the link. Totally white screen, could not close browser or switch applications.

Just had a look again. Launches on my phone but not usable, just this tab that hangs now (I may have had like 50 tabs open last time which may have contributed to the reset requirement).

Edited by Plastic