Van Gaal influence on Southampton and other great clubs

positivepete

“This man,” he said to his wife, by way of introduction, “is one of the greatest coaches of all time. He invented modern football.” Alarmed he may have gone too far, he looked at Van Gaal in embarrassment. Van Gaal just nodded.

Typical van Gaal, a man who constantly needs confirmation of his success probably due to the fact that no one took him serious during his active career as a player. When a trainer/coach (i.e. Guardiola) or a club is succesfull after van Gaal left than Louis is immediately there to claim that success. It gets worse and worse with him, when the new players bus of Oranje was shown this year van Gaal told the press that it was a fantastic vehicle adding that he had helped the buscompany to make it, and that was not meant as a joke... I know that he sometimes uses the press to get the attention focused on him and not his players or to inspire a player and ther's nothing wrong with that. But look at this clip in which he says he's going to cheer (in dutch "Juichen") for Wesley Sneijder when he attempts a defensive move to win the ball. The man is not right in his mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX1BxV7-30I

Don't get me wrong, van Gaal is a great coach, especially with youngsters and he surely knows how to build a team. He's a more experienced coach than Koeman and he is capable to realise his vision within a club. There are very little managers in football with a vision, not to mention managers with the ability to change things within a club in order to reach success. It's just the way he presents himself in the media that's disgusting...

Ronald Koeman is a more down to earth person, a more likable guy than van Gaal. As he is much younger than van Gaal he needs to get more experience to make it to the top. His dream is to be coach (or do you say manager?) of Barcelona one day so he has to prove himself with Southampton in order to get a job at a club who is able to win the league. Unlike Guardiola he needs to win a prize before Barcelona will make him an offer. The fact that he and van Gaal have come to dislike each other (they had a row when they both worked for Ajax and do not speak to each other anymore) won't help him to get to the next station...

Van Gaal played 5-3-2 at the WC because of the lack of international experience of the Feyenoord defenders de Vrij, Janmaat, and Martins Indi and because Ronald Koeman played this system with Feyenoord for 3 or 4 games so they knew how to play it. To be honest, no one in Holland thought we had any chance to come this far because of our defenders (including Vlaar)... The result was there but the game itself was terrible to watch. However, don't be surprised when Koeman starts with a 5-3-2 formation against the big clubs.

I agree, woud be nice to see van Gaal fail before he starts boasting himself again... More even so for Mourinho who is even a bigger *** than van Gaal.

“This man,” he said to his wife, by way of introduction, “is one of the greatest coaches of all time. He invented modern football.” Alarmed he may have gone too far, he looked at Van Gaal in embarrassment. Van Gaal just nodded.

:lol: