Andros Townsend ? ....oh really?

david in sweden

Andros Townsend's career is less than glorious when you consider his passage to a £12 million transfer was based on a series of loan outs to L1 / Championship clubs, and a short series of first team games in an otherwise uninspiring Spurs outfit. Totalling 50 part-games and scoring just 3 goals

He started with Spurs as an 8 year old, and by 18 had started on the first of 9 loan outs (101 games and 11 goals) ....that would spread out over a period of 4 years.

When he eventually became part of their first team squad, he made a few appearances as sub. (in part due to the catastrophic fallout from many of the players bought with the " Gareth Bale inheritance "), and his occasional goal efforts made him look good, in what can only be described as a poor Spurs side who were finding it difficult to score goals.

Following the "good half-season" that most players enjoy at sometime in their careers, he was picked for England (who were suffering the same goal drought that Spurs had) and scored with a few spectacular efforts (against admitted poor opposition) which advanced his career at record speed, whilst at the same time saving face for the England manager, who praised him to the heights.

Late last year, he was demoted to playing with Spurs U21 side, after a reported arguement with a Spurs official, but this also went some way to preserving his high valuation (to Spurs benefit). I watched the Spurs v Saints U21 game in December, where a strong Spurs side seemed to have a single tactic....that .of passing to him on the right wing, where most of his efforts were rather poor, and he was well-contained by Matt Targett ...and was subsequently subbed off after 60 minutes.

His move is the chance he needs to advance his career, as Newcastle are unlikely to leave him on the bench too often, but (as Beckenham Saint mentioned above).....this type of costly move does put the Shane Long transfer in a much better perspective. Time will tell.

Edited by david in sweden

What I find strangest, is that a player who can't get into the Spurs team on a regular basis, isn't wanted and supposedly is fairly average, has increased his wages from £20k p/w to £55k. Desperate times I guess, and NUFC are prepared to give this massive increase on the back of doing nothing.

What I find strangest, is that a player who can't get into the Spurs team on a regular basis, isn't wanted and supposedly is fairly average, has increased his wages from £20k p/w to £55k. Desperate times I guess, and NUFC are prepared to give this massive increase on the back of doing nothing.

....shows that he has a pretty good agent ..and that Newcastle are pretty desperate.