Want to Feel Old?

Lighthouse

Back to Want to Feel Old - can't beat 107 years (respects to your gran) I just became a grandad last week at 55 - and am heading out tonight to play for our Over 50's team. There are 190 teams of over 50's registered in the Greater Vancouver area...proper leagues, refs, pitches, floodlights, nets etc...amazing...so never say never whoever hung his boots up two years ago...

That was probably me, you wouldn't be saying that if you saw my knee after my last match. After my knee-knack in 2000 and playing til 2014 nevertheless my 2013 (second) surgery found Grade IV bone on bone arthritis, no smooth cartilage on the back of the knee to allow the ligaments to glide, and now it just blows up to double the size with any kind of twisting. Took a week to walk freely after a match and it just became not worth the hassle. I always thought I'd miss playing, but as I went about 10 years over my realistic cut-off point and was already far enough detached from still being good enough to actually enjoy it, I can't say I do really.

Anyway, if I do make a 10th (or so) un-retirement I'll be sure to give Vancouver a go in 7 years' time when I'm eligible. :)