Crossfit

Turkish

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed this.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time in and around the CrossFit scene over the last 7 years or so.

All I can say about it is that done right, with a good ‘coach’ and proper technique, the results are great! However, it’s built around pushing yourself to and beyond personal limits which waaaay too often leads to long lasting injuries.

My physio is an ex saints physio and advises physio practices to move close to their nearest CrossFit gym because they’ll never be short of work.

The ‘community/cult’ however is proper ghey

Just noticed this.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time in and around the CrossFit scene over the last 7 years or so.

All I can say about it is that done right, with a good ‘coach’ and proper technique, the results are great! However, it’s built around pushing yourself to and beyond personal limits which waaaay too often leads to long lasting injuries.

My physio is an ex saints physio and advises physio practices to move close to their nearest CrossFit gym because they’ll never be short of work.

The ‘community/cult’ however is proper ghey

What prompted this was a girl at work who in about a year transformed from a podgy mid thirties woman into an absolute machine, she looks incredible, like an athlete. However this has come at a cost, her social media is full of endless exercise videos or pictures of her with her fellow crossfitters. Dont get me wrong, her videos are impressive, very strong and fit now, but could so without so many of them and maybe on a different subject. It does seem like a bit of cult though.

Yeah, done right it builds super fit athletes.

There’s actually nothing new about it, it’s been used by the American special forces for a long time now. It was made into a competitive sport by an ex navy seal but the culture around is proper weird.

They also burn out quite quickly, too. I also would do it again in my 40’s (as I am) because I’d probably break

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2020 at 11:17 AM, Raging Bull said:

Yeah, done right it builds super fit athletes.

There’s actually nothing new about it, it’s been used by the American special forces for a long time now. It was made into a competitive sport by an ex navy seal but the culture around is proper weird.

They also burn out quite quickly, too. I also would do it again in my 40’s (as I am) because I’d probably break

I assume from your avatar you're a kettlebell fanatic. I've dabbled on and off for years, did a RKC course, done enter the kettlebell etc, what other good programs are there?

I love them because they’re everything you need to keep your body properly strong and there’s not much you can’t do with them. That and a good spin bike. 

Gone are the days I can effectively use the 40kg in my avatar though, my body’s shot through at the moment and injury prone. 

As for programs the 2 you mentioned are pretty good, although I’ve not actually got any qualifications myself. I sometimes see what the CrossFit guys are doing but they’re not really reinventing the wheel. 

Anything that’s good enough for the Russian special forces is good enough for me. Although they don’t half screw your hands over if you’ve not used them for a while! 

do you prefer cast iron or competition? 

• 1 month later...
On 25/06/2020 at 21:14, Raging Bull said:

I love them because they’re everything you need to keep your body properly strong and there’s not much you can’t do with them. That and a good spin bike. 

Gone are the days I can effectively use the 40kg in my avatar though, my body’s shot through at the moment and injury prone. 

As for programs the 2 you mentioned are pretty good, although I’ve not actually got any qualifications myself. I sometimes see what the CrossFit guys are doing but they’re not really reinventing the wheel. 

Anything that’s good enough for the Russian special forces is good enough for me. Although they don’t half screw your hands over if you’ve not used them for a while! 

do you prefer cast iron or competition? 

I've just joined my local box. So far so good!! I've just completed the fundamentals which i understand they have to do but is basic stuff along with a couple of workouts, looking forward to getting cracking now. I love the concept of it, the instructors i've met and worked with so far are very, very good, far better than most of the gym instructors i've come across. The only downside is a couple of times i've arrived a bit early to spy what is going on and there are a couple of blokes in each group who insist on taking their tops off every time, of course they are in very good shape but seriously lads come on, FFS

Yeah it’s a proper meat fest at times. You get your helmets but on the whole they’re normally a decent bunch. 

it’s great because you can give your body an absolute beasting within a 30 minute workout. Plus you can do an awful lot at home if you’ve got the equipment. 

• 4 months later...
On 06/08/2020 at 18:44, Raging Bull said:

Yeah it’s a proper meat fest at times. You get your helmets but on the whole they’re normally a decent bunch. 

it’s great because you can give your body an absolute beasting within a 30 minute workout. Plus you can do an awful lot at home if you’ve got the equipment. 

Well im now 4 months in and totally addicted lockdown aside been going at least 4 times a week. Every workout is seriously tough and demanding, strength and fitness has improved a great deal and i realise now i am no where near as fit as i thought i was when i started. Some days i feel i could go for another 30 mins, others i'm gassed in 5 minutes. Like yesterday, after a few sets of heavy deadlifts it was like someone had turned the power off, with still a WOD to go but you still push yourself through it. Some of the guys and girls there are incredible, although i forget many of them have been going for 4-5 years so even trying to keep up at this stage is insane, something i very quickly realised. So IMO it really is the best form of exercise i've ever done. 

Edited by Turkish

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 02/01/2021 at 13:57, Weston Super Saint said:

Is this any good if you are completely crocked like me?  Back and knees are ruined so I have to rely on cycling for cardio (haven't been able to run more than 20 yards for 20 odd years as the knee pain is horrendous) and 2/3 sessions a week in the gym for strength training.

Sorry missed this. It’s hard, really hard, but also it’s as hard as you make it. Plenty of members where I go adapt and scale the workout to their levels. Some will use the Air bike or rower if they’re unable to run, ring pulls ups instead of proper ones, small step ups rather than high box jumps etc. That’s the thing I love about it, it challenges your body in every way, is different every time you go and is adaptable for everyone. My box has everything for 18 year olds who’ve only just discovered gyms, lads and girls in their 20s and 30s who are super fit, triathletes, football players, rugby players, MMA fighters, people like me with busy jobs and a family through to A 65 year old diabetic woman, all doing the same Workout but at the level that’s right for them and challenges them adapted to suit their level.   The coaches are brilliant better than any gym I’ve been a member of, It’s properly addictive, I just wish I’d started years ago. Even during lockdown we’ve been doing zoom classes. It’s the hardest but best thing I’ve ever done, including my years doing Krav Maga which I was addicted to.

Edited by Turkish

11 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

@Turkishdid you do Krav Maga down in Southampton?

My lad was doing it until the guy decided to stop and I’m not sure where to take him when I can. 

Where did you do it?

Yes it was a while ago, been away from Southampton for 7 years. It was a guy called Jim at Essential Krav Maga, used to go to Cantell school on a wednesday and Eastleigh on a thursday. No idea about clubs down there now i'm afraid. Surprised he stopped, his classes were always full when i used to go. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

almost exactly a year since I started I’m completely addicted just wish I started sooner! Just finished my first competition, pairs comp and we came 14th out of 37. pretty happy with that considering the competition. Brutal but incredible day, 3 workouts in a day, each of them different but very tough. I thought it was a bit of a cult but it really is amazing, my fitness and strength gone through the roof, met some great people, made some good friends. 

• 7 months later...

I just remembered this thread as today marks the start of the crossfit open. I’m 18 months into my CrossFit journey and it’s like a drug. I can’t get enough of it. We did our open workouts tonight, 8 people at a time working out whilst the rest cheered on, about 60 Or people. What a buzz, I’m genuinely addicted to it. It’s the community that makes it, everything from elite athletes to 60 year old women to amputees all doing the same workout with everyone behind them. Absolutely love it and my personal fitness and mindset has never been better. It genuinely had changed my life 

On 26/02/2022 at 13:13, Weston Super Saint said:

But can you do a 10k row on an ERG in less than 50 minutes?

I've never tried to be honest, i'll give it a go! In fact Matthew Frazer who is the 5 times crossfit games winner recommended doing 20 mins of rowing a day for two weeks at the fastest speed you can hold consistent for that duration as one the best ways to improve cardio capacity. 

Some work outs include rowing, we did one they other day which was as below

1-5 minutes 21 calorie row, 21 wall balls, as many squats as you can in the remaining time with 40kg bar

5-9 minutes 18 calorie row, 18 walls ball, as many squats as you can in the remaining time with 40kg bar

9-17 minutes 15 calorie row, 15 wall balls, as many squats as you can in the remaining time with 40kg bar

Another benchmark workout called Jackie is 1000m row, 50 thrusters @20kg and 30 pull ups for time, my current best time for that is 8mins 28 seconds.

2k row at the fastest pace you can keep is an excellent way to increase cardio capacity - forgot how much it hurts until I did one last week, and basically in the 'red zone' for 6-7 minutes!

Sadly, knees and ankles are way too far gone for me to do most of the crossfit routines so have to stick with rower / crosstrainer plus weights during the week and dragging my arse around on the bike at the weekend!

On 28/02/2022 at 16:58, Weston Super Saint said:

2k row at the fastest pace you can keep is an excellent way to increase cardio capacity - forgot how much it hurts until I did one last week, and basically in the 'red zone' for 6-7 minutes!

Sadly, knees and ankles are way too far gone for me to do most of the crossfit routines so have to stick with rower / crosstrainer plus weights during the week and dragging my arse around on the bike at the weekend!

Definitely a lot harder as you get older. I'm quite a big guy so struggle with a lot of the gymnastic elements of it. Rowing, cycling, weights etc im fine with but things like handstand push ups, wall walks, toes to bar are difficult for me. Sometimes when you see these 23 year old super fit lads and girls smashing it out the park have to remind myself that i'm old enough to be their dad.

• 1 year later...

3 years in now and totally addicted. It isn't a cult, it's a way of life. If you want to test yourself as an example of what we get up into try these workouts

Helen 

3 rounds for time of

400 metre run

21 Kettle bell swings (24kg kettlebell)

12 pull ups

Grace 

For time - 30 clean and jerks at 60kg bar bell

DT

5 rounds for time with 70kg bar bell

12 deadlifts

9 hanging power cleans

6 clean and jerks

Cindy As many rounds as possible in 20 mins

5 pull ups

10 push ups

15 squats

or if you like running

Murph (we do this once a year as respect to fallen soldiers)

1 mile run

100 pull ups

200 press ups

300 squats

1 mile run

Edited by Turkish

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/09/2023 at 12:02, Weston Super Saint said:

National fitness day today.  What have you done / will you do?

10k row for me in 46:02 - never gets easier!

#fit@fifty!

10k row.png

Is that a concept 2? Do you have one at home? I'm looking to get one i think. Decent average 500m for 10k and your age (no offence)

The realisation that I’m getting old (mid 40’s) is smacking me in the face big time. 

Squatting 180kg is like playing Russian roulette with my back now. It’s now ruined even though I’ve done it since I was 18 and my technique is good. 

Admitting defeat sucks donkey balls. 

@Turkish Are you still going strong? 

Incidentally, the CF games female winner is from CF Southampton. A 40 something lass with kids. Freaking amazing! 

Edited by Raging Bull

9 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

The realisation that I’m getting old (mid 40’s) is smacking me in the face big time. 

Squatting 180kg is like playing Russian roulette with my back now. It’s now ruined even though I’ve done it since I was 18 and my technique is good. 

Incidentally, the CF games female winner is from CF Southampton. A 40 something lass with kids. Freaking amazing! 

Still going mate, not as much as i'd like due to work commitments and weekends being taken up with sons football these days. Coaching football to kids as well as being secretary of the club which i love but takes a lot of time.

Im getting there about 4 times a week. I'm not having too many issues with barbell work, can still squat, deadlift etc okay although my squat isn't quite as heavy as yours. I've been quite fortunate with injuries over the years, the only bad one i had was ankle ligament damage when playing football in my early 20s. 

The problems i'm having is with the gymnastic work at Crossfit, too many pulls up and i'm getting pain in my elbows which is restricting that a litte but generally okay at the moment.

Yeah Kelly Friel 3rd year in a row she's won it, amazing women. If you have no knowledge of crossfit you wont realise what an amazing achievement it is. She's a coach at Crossfit Southampton too

Keep going pal, we dont stop because we get old, we get old because we stop 😉 

Edited by Turkish

On 29/09/2023 at 11:18, Turkish said:

Is that a concept 2? Do you have one at home? I'm looking to get one i think. Decent average 500m for 10k and your age (no offence)

It is a concept 2, but I use the one in the gym.  My old man bought one for about a grand, but I don't have the space for one.  

7.5k on Tuesday in 34:28.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

It's all downhill after about 35, sadly.

I was getting plenty of injuries using 'heavy' weights so have switched completely.  I now go for 'reps' at a lower weight - usually around half the weight I was using for 3 sets of 10, but now I do 1 set of 40, 1 of 30, 1 of 20 and 1 of 10 (usually add a little more weight for the last one).  The lactic build up hurts but muscle definition is hugely improved.

40 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I was getting plenty of injuries using 'heavy' weights so have switched completely.  I now go for 'reps' at a lower weight - usually around half the weight I was using for 3 sets of 10, but now I do 1 set of 40, 1 of 30, 1 of 20 and 1 of 10 (usually add a little more weight for the last one).  The lactic build up hurts but muscle definition is hugely improved.

I'd agree with you there. When it's workouts recycling a barbell for time, for example 30 clean and jerks or snatches i can smash through that as quick as anyone in the gym, usually in the top times. When it comes to hitting big PRs then im a fair way down the list. Certainly a struggle to break through PRs and hit weights i could do 10 years ago.

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Still going mate, not as much as i'd like due to work commitments and weekends being taken up with sons football these days. Coaching football to kids as well as being secretary of the club which i love but takes a lot of time.

Im getting there about 4 times a week. I'm not having too many issues with barbell work, can still squat, deadlift etc okay although my squat isn't quite as heavy as yours. I've been quite fortunate with injuries over the years, the only bad one i had was ankle ligament damage when playing football in my early 20s. 

The problems i'm having is with the gymnastic work at Crossfit, too many pulls up and i'm getting pain in my elbows which is restricting that a litte but generally okay at the moment.

Yeah Kelly Friel 3rd year in a row she's won it, amazing women. If you have no knowledge of crossfit you wont realise what an amazing achievement it is. She's a coach at Crossfit Southampton too

Keep going pal, we dont stop because we get old, we get old because we stop 😉 

4 times a week is good going dude! 

Im averaging 3-4 but don’t do anywhere near enough cardio/HIIT. 

Probably had enough of squatting for now though, I’ll be giving my a**hole a rest from pouting at the ground. 

4 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Yep, at the end of the day it’s about tearing your muscle fibres and allowing them to grow back stronger with rest and protein. 

It’s alien to most, but there’s something to be said for picking up heavy weights and putting them back down again. It’s weird but I love it! 

• 2 months later...
On 05/10/2023 at 12:29, Raging Bull said:

4 times a week is good going dude! 

Im averaging 3-4 but don’t do anywhere near enough cardio/HIIT. 

Probably had enough of squatting for now though, I’ll be giving my a**hole a rest from pouting at the ground. 

Yep, at the end of the day it’s about tearing your muscle fibres and allowing them to grow back stronger with rest and protein. 

It’s alien to most, but there’s something to be said for picking up heavy weights and putting them back down again. It’s weird but I love it! 

Just been to a commercial gym for the first time in a while. The amount of people that are out of shape and don’t have a clue what they’re doing was incredible. Pull ups with not even half a full rep, squats barely breaking half way, deadlifts in the smiths machine FFS! And of course the lads doing weights far too heavy with terrible form then walking round like they’re Arnie
why aren’t the instructors going around telling people what they’re doing is a waste of time? CrossFit has made me realise how much I know compared to the average gym goer. Honestly it was staggering

Edited by Turkish