12th

Nordic Saint

This looks like it will be our 20th top 12 finish in 40 years. 12th seems to be our place in the English football hierarchy. Our attendances, place in the all-time Premier League table, number of fans on social media etc always place us around 12th. I enjoy the run-in to the season when it looks like we might do a bit better. The end of the 1983/84 and 2015/16 seasons were two of the most enjoyable and this one is pretty good. 

Sometimes  I just wish we had one or two more trophies to show for it, like plenty of smaller clubs do. In terms of trophies won, for a club of our size, we are arguably the most underachieving team in the country. We are so often the nearly men: since we joined the Football League, we have finished runners-up in leagues and cups nine times and been in fifteen major cup semi-finals. We have been in more major cup semi-finals than Leeds yet even Wigan, who joined the league in 1979/80, and had average gates of 1,800 in the 1990s,  have won more league and cup trophies than we have. But, if we win our last three games and finish 10th or 11th most of us will be happy. I guess that's what being a Saints fan is about. We know we don't win trophies but to see our local team validated as the 12th best in the country is still satisfying.

But, I'm hoping that Ralph is going to be our Don Revie or Brian Clough and win us something: a League Cup, an FA Cup, a Europa League Cup...

Looking forward to next season.

Edited by Nordic Saint

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

We are amongst the biggest under achievers for a club of our size. Birmingham & maybe Palace could pip us to that title, but can’t think of too many more. 

On one hand it's hard to argue with that, alternatively if you look at the last 25 years we are probably on of the most consistent 'Middling clubs' to spend the majority of our time in the top division, especially when you compare us to side like Leeds, Forest, Derby,Birmingham ,Charlton,QPR, Middlesborough,West Brom, Sunderland. We Kind of hold a strange position in the great scheme of things.We're an enigma wrapped in a mystery