Terry Cooper RIP

31cc

Rumour has it that he essentially took over from the hapless, useless, incompetent Souness towards the end of the season as we were sinking into relegation, and was the main reason we were able to turn it around and achieve yet another Great Escape.

R.I.P. Terry.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Rumour has it that he essentially took over from the hapless, useless, incompetent Souness towards the end of the season as we were sinking into relegation, and was the main reason we were able to turn it around and achieve yet another Great Escape.

R.I.P. Terry.

This is absolutely true. It was confirmed to me by Graham Hiley (former Echo Reporter) that by December 96 Souness had given up the ghost and Terry Cooper effectively became the manager. This one of the main reasons that Rupert, having seen what he had done, kept him on the staff when he became chairman. I had a long chat with Terry Cooper outside Old Trafford before our game in February 97. He seemed a very decent and approachable man. What he said about Souness was that he was the best coach he had ever seen in terms of explaining to players what was wanted and actually being able to demonstrate it himself. But our players just didn't want to listen

• Like 1