RH and Team Selections

FarehamSaintJames

Some things that I need to get off my chest and things that have stumped me especially over 2021 (Yes I know it's all a matter of opinion):

Alex McCarthy - How is he still a regular starter? Constantly poor, extremely ineffective, and if I was an opposing striker I would be licking my lips every time I go up one-on-one. He will cost us big time. Forster is not as great as he was, but he is a much higher standard in comparison, more commanding and bulkier in stature too.

Jan Bednarek - it has become evident in 2021 that he simply isn't good enough, prone to an error or seven a season, weak defensively. Yes Jack Stephens has his moments too, and yes I understand he is injured for some time, but he is again way more commanding and committed and I'd pick him every time, I'd rather throw Lyanco in the mix. Even then it goes back to a lot of people in the summer calling for a more "marque name" signing.

Romain Perraud - bought him and after a few games is benched in favour of a second right-back. Personally think Tino Livramento should play higher up, he's been more of a threat in five games than Redmond/Djenepo have in years. KWP behind him, then allowing for Perraud to play his natural LB position.

Moussa Djenepo - made of glass, we were expecting the next Sadio Mane and instead got the next Nathan Redmond. Not useful, looses the ball more than he wins, no end product, no threat.

Nathan Redmond - he has more than had his opportunity now. See also above.

Nathan Tella - What has this guy done wrong to not get put on? He was very impressive towards the end of last season and yet hasn't had a sniff this time round. Also after today to not get brought on when 1-0 down in favour of Shane Long is insulting.

Armando Broja - if you've seen him play for little old Albania, my god he looks threatening, little known much like Tino, if I was RH I'd give him a go now.

There is no threat to a player playing badly, its just recycling the same players, the same team, the same tactics over and over again.

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

All you've really highlighted there is the glaring lack of quality right throughout the team. We shouldn't have to be relying on Redmond or Moussa anymore, their time would have been up at any normal football club at least a year ago.

Bednarek is Bednarek. My hope from the summer was that we'd use the sale of Vestergaard to buy someone to replace or upgrade on Bednarek, but we clearly didn't even have the money for that. So we're stuck there too.

In a nutshell we have some decent young players in Tino, Tella, Salisu, Diallo etc but they're surrounded by a load of absolute shit that we're struggling to evolve on from.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Some things that I need to get off my chest and things that have stumped me especially over 2021 (Yes I know it's all a matter of opinion):

Alex McCarthy - How is he still a regular starter? Constantly poor, extremely ineffective, and if I was an opposing striker I would be licking my lips every time I go up one-on-one. He will cost us big time. Forster is not as great as he was, but he is a much higher standard in comparison, more commanding and bulkier in stature too.

Jan Bednarek - it has become evident in 2021 that he simply isn't good enough, prone to an error or seven a season, weak defensively. Yes Jack Stephens has his moments too, and yes I understand he is injured for some time, but he is again way more commanding and committed and I'd pick him every time, I'd rather throw Lyanco in the mix. Even then it goes back to a lot of people in the summer calling for a more "marque name" signing.

Romain Perraud - bought him and after a few games is benched in favour of a second right-back. Personally think Tino Livramento should play higher up, he's been more of a threat in five games than Redmond/Djenepo have in years. KWP behind him, then allowing for Perraud to play his natural LB position.

Moussa Djenepo - made of glass, we were expecting the next Sadio Mane and instead got the next Nathan Redmond. Not useful, looses the ball more than he wins, no end product, no threat.

Nathan Redmond - he has more than had his opportunity now. See also above.

Nathan Tella - What has this guy done wrong to not get put on? He was very impressive towards the end of last season and yet hasn't had a sniff this time round. Also after today to not get brought on when 1-0 down in favour of Shane Long is insulting.

Armando Broja - if you've seen him play for little old Albania, my god he looks threatening, little known much like Tino, if I was RH I'd give him a go now.

There is no threat to a player playing badly, its just recycling the same players, the same team, the same tactics over and over again.

Thoughts?

Macca- Forster is just as bad but Macca atleast can claim crosses.

Jan - Poor, but much better than Lyanco who is our other option so what can you do, I prefer Stephens but so did Ralph until he got injured

Perraud - I don't know if Tino can play effectively at RM but he is immense and basically undroppable at RB so KWP and Perraud compete for the LB spot. I'd play Perraud personally but I don't think there is much between them and fullback isn't the issue.

Djenepo - Good player, bad finisher, good against the ball. Wish we had signed a new AM. When Stu is fit he is benched hopefully

Redmond- Exactly the same as above, but worse and not so handy against the ball

Broja - Was wank against Sheffield united apparently according to the guys on radio solent. Seems ok but more of an impact sub imo.

Bottom line, we should have spent good money on a CB in summer who could be first choice next to Salisu and had Bednarek and Stephens as back up. We should also have passed on Walcott. If we'd have signed, for example, Rashica/Gray/Lookman and Anderson/Guehi/Tosin and spent £25m instead of £5m then we'd be much better off. It's like I said at the end of the summer, swallowing a massive net spend like we did is akin to hanging Ralph out to dry.

• Like 4