Saints Programme v Rotherham

spyinthesky

Sat in the garden this afternoon enjoying the sunshine a couple of beers, reading through yesterdays programme and notice two errors and one photo of interest:

1. Matchday No 9 v Leeds
    Score was 3-1 but apparently the goalscorers were Tella 49mins and Adams 90+4.  
     Different game than I was watching!!!!!!!!

2. Museum Piece by Duncan Holley (always a good read, thank you Duncan)
    Apparently St Marys beat local rivals Freemantle in the Hants Senior Cup Final Replay at the County Ground on 24th February 1994 ie 100 years after the actual event.
    Bit of a time warp perhaps?

3. 'Blast from the Past' had an interesting photo of Brian Clifton scoring as Saints beat Rotherham 2-1 on 14th April 1962.
     I was probably there but cant remember the game.
     What I do recollect was the state of the pitch in the Spring ie worn badly through the middle, the predominance of supporters wearing raincoats and hats, the age of the spectators standing on the Milton end (30-60+) and the relatively few youngsters in the crowd holding ex war time rattles (I had one painted in red and white which used to accompany me home and away).

4. No mention was made of the game 27th April 1964 when we had to score six goals in the last home game of the season.to secure the 100 goals for the campaign in Division 2 (ie todays Championship)
    This we did with a 6-1 hammering of....Rotherham...

Edited by spyinthesky
  • Like 1