Food/Drink missed from other Countries

Johnny Shearer

Arby burgers from Canada. They opened a franchise in West Quay when it first opened but the extra couple of quid over the price of a MacMeal was obviously enough to put people off and it closed down after a year. :mad:

Arby's are OK, but if you come to Vancouver and want a good burger - try White Spot's "Double Double". Double patty, double cheese, double pickle, double bypass!

May sound silly, but what I miss from England is Cadbury's Flake, and always take a few back here after I've come over. Though I've always flown Air Canada, last year I tried BA, and consequently I came home and hurriedly opened my luggage only to find several packets of chocolate dust. :(

If I remember from when I was a kid, it's a herb based drink? As I got older I changed to liking the Cisk. Also 'loose wine' from the corner cafes.

Yeah, it's kind of made from Herbs and Marmelade oranges. It's quite an odd taste, not outright sweet but extremely refreshing!

Cisk is good, as for 'Loose Wine,' can't say i've ever had the pleasure!

Arby burgers from Canada. They opened a franchise in West Quay when it first opened but the extra couple of quid over the price of a MacMeal was obviously enough to put people off and it closed down after a year. :mad:

Arby's are OK, but if you come to Vancouver and want a good burger - try White Spot's "Double Double". Double patty, double cheese, double pickle, double bypass!

May sound silly, but what I miss from England is Cadbury's Flake, and always take a few back here after I've come over. Though I've always flown Air Canada, last year I tried BA, and consequently I came home and hurriedly opened my luggage only to find several packets of chocolate dust. :(

Ah I did go to a White Spot for a bit to eat. Went for a burger with Dill - loved it. Also liked the option of unlimited refills on the fries. However I had to give up after 3 plates full! :eek:

Unlucky on the Flake front. Put some in a tin next time! :D

Yeah, it's kind of made from Herbs and Marmelade oranges. It's quite an odd taste, not outright sweet but extremely refreshing!

Cisk is good, as for 'Loose Wine,' can't say i've ever had the pleasure!

Loose Wine. You could get it from quite a few cafes back then. None too sure if you can get it these days. We used to go to the cafe on the corner, armed with clean, empty wine bottles and ask for loose wine. So the owner would go out the back, take the lid off this massive vat and immerse the bottles until filled, wipe them off and return them to us with a cork in the top. Thinking back, I was only about 7 or 8 at the time, the bottles were probably about the 70cl size? Two shillings to fill it up! It wasn't the best quality, probably Marsovin, but just right for meal times.