"Playing God" or The greatest scientific discovery of all time?

Thorpe-le-Saint

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/science_and_environment/10134341.stm

An unbelievable breakthrough. Imagine what this could do for people with chronic illnesses. No doubt however over the next few days we will have the God squad telling us it's a step too far.

As a side note, I see the Mail are 'doing their thing' by trying to scare everyone by saying "It could be used to make the ultimate biological weapon"...FFS!

Edited by Thorpe-le-Saint

An unbelievable breakthrough. Imagine what this could do for people with chronic illnesses. No doubt however over the next few days we will have the God squad telling us it's a step too far.

As a side note, I see the Mail are 'doing their thing' by trying to scare everyone by saying "It could be used to make the ultimate biological weapon"...FFS!

Old story

We all know this was done years ago. We have more than enough evidence over the years that Alternative/Artifical Life forms have been created and post regularly on here

The Daily Mail are correct. This is the beginning of the matrix.

The Daily Mail are correct. This is the beginning of the matrix.

What planet are you and the Mail on? I've just read the online Mail and laughed out loud at most of the rubbish they write - I hadn't read the paper for a while, now I know why!!

"And there are also warnings that one mistake in a lab could lead to millions being wiped out by a plague, in scenes reminiscent of the Will Smith film I Am Legend."

:rolleyes:

What planet are you and the Mail on? I've just read the online Mail and laughed out loud at most of the rubbish they write - I hadn't read the paper for a while, now I know why!!

"And there are also warnings that one mistake in a lab could lead to millions being wiped out by a plague, in scenes reminiscent of the Will Smith film I Am Legend."

:rolleyes:

You're blinkered.

You're blinkered.

As are The Mail. We can't possibly be sure of the consequences of this discovery, but TDM is jumping to conclusions already. I can't sit here and say that "everything will be fine" and not to worry, but in equal amounts I can't sit here and say "OH EM GEE, WERE ALL GONA DIE!!!!!1111111111111111111111". It's just the autopilot for the human race to jump to drastic conclusions without knowing the facts.

I had someone tell me that this proves God doesn't exist. An interesting theory which I later backed up by making a lasagne, thus proving chefs don't exist.

With regards to playing God, where exactly do you draw the line on that? The Bible tells us how, whilst creating the world, God created night and day. Surely by that measure lightbulbs are playing God.

Another argument is that if you can create life by good old fasioned boning, why not do it in a lab. How is that less ethical, just because some woman doesn't have to endure the pain of pushing a baby out of here who-ha.

As for creating the ultimate biological weapon, if someone wanted to do that and had the capability to do so, they would. Regardless of whether the technology was being used for good elsewhere.

I personally think it's a good think. If it can lead to treatments for some terrible illness then it would be unethical NOT to pursue it.

Just my $0.02