Beards. Beards & Girls. Beards & Job Interviews.

Spudders

Thoughts on beards generally please, should we all grow a beard once in our life (even though they look stupid) just so we can say we have had one at one point?

I can’t imagine any benefits of a beard from a girls perspective, are there any? Fortunately girls don’t talk to me without a beard so having one doesn’t really make much difference.

Having lost my job recently I decided not to bother shaving (initially as I was just being a lazy slob sat around feeling sorry for myself), but then I thought maybe I should grow a beard as I’ve not had one before. It’s been a month now, so it looks like a genuine attempt at a beard rather than just as if I’m being lazy.

Anyways next week I have two job interviews so I’m not sure if I should get rid of it or not? I guess in reality plenty of people have them and I doubt it would even be considered in an interview, I think that it’s just me thinking about it as I’ve never had one in my life before so to me it seems a bit weird to me still.... thoughts?

Shave it off. Unfair though it may be, people judge you incredibly quickly and on small things. It will probably make no difference, but why take a chance of the interviewer stereotyping you as a certain type of person? I think for an interview clean cut is the sensible option.

Having seen Spud's beard in real life I would probably say lose it. It looks alright but I'm not really sure it's job interview material.

To be fair it's had another couple of weeks growth since you last saw it and I've given the edges a trim & tidy now as well.

Sad to say but beards do have an adverse effect on some people even if they don't realise it themselves.

Shave it off especially if you will have face to face contact with the customers. However all is not lost IF

you like a beard, just wait a couple of months until you are well established in your new job then when on holiday

grow it again. Expect some rude banter type comments when you return of course.

I won't wish you good luck as I am confident that you will get the job.

Shave the beard Spuddy. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Cheers!

Spud the best thing is to trim the beard before the interview. A smart beard will not do any harm at an interview. Yes all real men should grow a beard once in their lives.

I don’t disagree that it ‘shouldn’t’ do any harm but I can’t help agreeing with norways comments as well!

Shave it off. Unfair though it may be, people judge you incredibly quickly and on small things. It will probably make no difference, but why take a chance of the interviewer stereotyping you as a certain type of person? I think for an interview clean cut is the sensible option.

I’ll probably shave it off and then all the people interviewing me will have beards. I remember a few years ago growing my hair for a couple of weeks when I usually had it totally shaved as I was worried about looking like a thug. When I got to the interview both the guys were totally bald so I needn’t have worried :lol:

Oh and good luck.

cheers

How ugly are you, Spud? I always reckon that a beard is only really an asset on plug-ugly blokes. If you're reasonably presentable you don't need it and shouldn't have it.

Good luck with the jobsearch, btw.

I’d say I’m probably about average, if I was a girl I’d give myself one! Cheers also

Sad to say but beards do have an adverse effect on some people even if they don't realise it themselves.

I won't wish you good luck as I am confident that you will get the job.

Beardism just ain’t saintly! Cheers.

People always say shave for an interview but I look infinitely worse clean shaven, and feel worse too.

I guess for some people it could be something to hind behind. Thinking about it, if I’m not sure I should probably get rid of it as I need to be as confidant as I can so don't need to be worrying about if I look like a bearded gimp!

If you're that unsure whether to shave or not, then you're clearly not a decision-maker. Potential employers can no doubt see what kind of a man you are and you're probably unemployed for good reason. I'd say do what you want, as you're not going to get the job anyway.

Cheers Essruu, I had a good idea of what I was going to do and just wanted to get some other opinions and about beards generally (although people have focused on the job bit), but you're probably right, I'm doomed anyway, I'll cancel the interviews in the morning! ta :thumbup:

Of course Spud I have just realised something! You could train as a taxi driver they take anyone beard or not.

Mind it does help to be a grumpy old soul and you must by law give your opinion on any and everything. Doesn't

matter if you are correct or not either :lol::lol:

Dont have to speak English or have an English licence to get a gig in the UK either.

Years ago when I was about 19/20 I was trying to get out of shop work into a selling job preferably out on the road I was getting plenty of first interviews many of which were good interviews but never got any further. Then my girlfriend (now Wife) said why don't you grow a moustache as they look at your face an think you are too young. Within weeks I was sporting a splendid facial caterpillar and hey presto second interviews became the norm, the only barrier to over come was the lack of experience and that soon passed.

Years ago when I was about 19/20 I was trying to get out of shop work into a selling job preferably out on the road I was getting plenty of first interviews many of which were good interviews but never got any further. Then my girlfriend (now Wife) said why don't you grow a moustache as they look at your face an think you are too young. Within weeks I was sporting a splendid facial caterpillar and hey presto second interviews became the norm, the only barrier to over come was the lack of experience and that soon passed.

How did your lack of experience "soon pass"? If that was the only barrier, how did you get a job? If you don't mind me saying, your whole story stinks of lies. You are a bull****ter!

Within weeks I was sporting a splendid facial caterpillar and hey presto second interviews became the norm

I couldn't get away with just a tash as I have a bit of a reverse Hitler going on, however in a sideburn competition I could do ok.