-
Posts
2,243 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by gio1saints
-
I love he’s got a smile on him. Some personality. And that, year we went up, he was prepared to do exactly what he was told by RM to make it happen. And he seemed to be a team player that contributed to the whole and club success rather than his own ( admittedly damaged) image from previous clubs.
-
I thought he was ok + the first year in the Championship. But his extension was a mistake. He may have been in “decline” but he was plenty good enough for us in the Championship certainly compared to SE and any other s who had a go too left upfront as he was more effective defensively AND offensively than others. Agree we needed better for EPL but I cannot say I think his character sucked for Saints. If anything in a squad quiet as a mouse at least he played a team role supporting whatever asked to do ( mainly track back and tackle!) He was no Gordon Strachan but he’s did/does have a little bit of devilment about him. Some personality. Sam could do with some of that but I guess being so young don’t help.
-
Damion Downs - Official: Loaned to St Louis
gio1saints replied to Matthew Le God's topic in The Saints
That DD goal was first goal I’ve seen one of our forwards make recently that had a touch of FU class about it- Tyler’s aside. He’d had NO Passes NO touches for 30 minutes from our clueless team yet it only took one young creative player ( JR) not infected with don’t know how to score or even go about it itis to pass it to him and bang it’s a goal. Start him immediately. No bedding in watching the non scorers not score first. DD to start and bench the rest of them. They can score with their first proper touch next time, if they get another chance that is, if they have the talent and ability. -
He may well be but I’d prefer we did buy a #10 AND have MF in the team. This lot take too long to look dangerous. You put a player like DD on and he does not get a pass on debut fir 30 mins until JR shows how it’s done tells you a lot. RS not getting the ball when he is on either same story. Our nominated Goal scorers not getting service is a big problem needs solving. I’ve also avoided putting in players that I don’t think are up to it. The ten saints players I put on the pitch above are arguably the top ten players we have. changing it around to slot in a not as good player may work but I’d rather add a new player who is obviously a #10. MF can be - but with our lack of attacking guile I want another one on the pitch to solve that service to glaciers issue - ideally can run fast as well.
-
My “in with the new, out with the old “ aggressive starting 11 v Wrexham : Downs Robinson Dibling new #10 Charles Downes Fernandes Wood Smashie Edwards Ramsdale
-
A chaotic yell caused unlimited tremors possibly accelerating new panics?
-
Just my pennies worth : I think the reason RE was played essentially at RB was (1) Will needs all our players to get minutes in their legs and RE not played much. (2) Any team with Quarshie, Wood, Stevens, Edwards, THB, Taylor, Charles possibly Sanda and even BK is well populated by players who can “do” CB. They cannot all be vying for 2 slots in a back four system - which is what WS allegedly prefers. So just imagine if he discovers his FB’s are comparatively weaker defensively than his CB’s? If WS is as pragmatic as the reputation says then a back 3 becomes a legitimate option. Back to RE : if he does not 100 guarantee to start at central CB but he’s technically potentially better than our current FB’s ( who conceded a shed load of goals last year) then isn’t it reasonable fir WS have a look at the permutations to see if it can work with him maybe on the right? In a preseason friendly perhaps? RE. JQ. NW. is looking a viable back three to me given the apparent lack of faith in the FB’s so I can see WS loading the team up pitch with the attacking talents of TD &MF& JR all on at same time surrounded by hardworking ex FBs wide of them. And I would love to say DD as well in that elite group to finish off the play - but it’s early days! Here’s hoping though! Oh - and the elephant in the room : the three I mentioned above at three CB’s are starters for me not because JS is something of a pariah atm but rather because they all have pace - which JS does not have- to cover into those wide gaps if need be.
-
Crucial preseason for RF. His non season for us in the EPL hangs over him like a cloud. I don’t think it’s working myself. He’s trying but not seen one devastating pass or move created out of nothing by him-yet. He is decent at running harrying and keep possession - but I’m not sure those are the ideal prime characteristic for a creative risk-taking Saints #10. WS has played him several times now-and starting- as a mobile #10 - and not even once as a winger, which was his career long position. My personal view is that as a wide player his best characteristic is his defensive workrate - better than our other wide players - and his experience - but as a #10- no. He is third choice behind MF and TD imo for that. Those are the only two players with the technique and vision for the role in current squad * awaits incoming new signing lol. Love his character but I feel he needs get that “scared to score Fraser “ tag that I mentally envisage whenever I see him, off his back. Get more ruthless more devastating a lot less jovial “ wee man”. Get angry get goals get assists get greedy - and forget your squad popularity.
-
Overall this looked better than our other performances. Some attempts at a more direct game evident. Ramsdale, Quarshie, Shea and DD look a super strong spine for the Championship. IF they are allowed to play every week I think we go up irrespective of who plays either side of them. Add quality like JR /TD and MF plus some guys who are super fit and will run their arses off then give it to the aforementioned and we maybe got ourselves a team.
-
Ladies and Gentlemen, We have ourselves a new star CB. I give you, Joshua Quarsie. The outstanding player on the park.
-
It looks like a back four but you get the impression that with 3 centre backs amongst them it’s going to be a three that tucks in when we are attacking on flanks. Meaning wellington in this case may have more freedoms to attack. On the rh side I’d say that’s to allow MF more freedoms to attack know g he has RE covering perhaps?
-
Joshua Quarshie - Official: Loaned to Strum Graz
gio1saints replied to Saint Scott's topic in The Saints
Exactly right. We’ve got Pompey amongst others in not very long and I’m not having lack of bite in the tackle anymore. We’ve had a too-long spell where Southampton are too posh to push to paraphrase - where we believed our football was so superior we don’t need or have to revert to the working man’s stuff. Well - we were mistaken and if that carries on early doors this season all hell will break loose. Saints this season ARE allowed to lose - occasionally and rarely - but are not allowed to be outfought, or outthought, period. Not after what we endured last year. Was it MC or MLT said we need earn the right to play our football? We’ve had too many matches sending out an overentitled unfit team unprepared to do whatever is required to win and too focused on fragile tikataka forgetting the basics. Quarshie has already committed. I already know there’s some likely to duck out or who are simply mentally and physiologically not up for it because if theres full blooded challenges coming in - which I expect with a “ welcome back to the Championship” tag on it - there’s some of our players won’t like it and some will love it. I want the ones that love it get up and give it back with interest plus goals. They the ones I want to be playing all the time for us (in between suspensions 🤣) I know, I know, I should have saved this for half time at Wrexham but f&ck it I’m doing the speech now. 🤣😁 -
Hamer, Rudoni or Azaz. One of those at #10 please. All wanted by EPL clubs apparently but we all know that not all will get the transfer. The one that doesn’t is our guy. Saints are a better bet for going up than Sheffield Utd, Coventry and Boro - in my eyes anyway. All know what to do in the championship to score or assist. My how to do it guide - offer any of BBD, SE , BK and JA in part exchange plus cash or even one of our spare defenders and they might bite. Or sell them quick and cheap and spend the ££ on one of those #10’s instead. Preferably Hamer of course but he is most likely to be playing EPL anyways so it’s more likely Azaz Rudoni or that Watford Georgian name sounding guy ( Chakakanvatdze?) instead. But we do need a creative MF attacker -especially as both MG and TD are in demand apparently. If we start with RF as our #10 ( as trialled in friendly) much as I love the wee man it’s not really good enough is it..
-
Joshua Quarshie - Official: Loaned to Strum Graz
gio1saints replied to Saint Scott's topic in The Saints
Assuming Tyler has gone because I’m starting him every match if still here. -
Joshua Quarshie - Official: Loaned to Strum Graz
gio1saints replied to Saint Scott's topic in The Saints
Interesting ideas on how to use his qualities. He could be a “ front sweeper” but I think best use of him is as the first contact player. Designated hard man. And let others in the team pick up the debris and distribute. -
Joshua Quarshie - Official: Loaned to Strum Graz
gio1saints replied to Saint Scott's topic in The Saints
I’m more proactive than that. Quarshie looks the sort of player that will exhaust the opposition who just keep rebounding off him and coming goff second best in foot races tackles headers and general physicality. Given the number of physical cf ‘s we will face in the championship he’s perfect IMO to start as long as he’s got a wise head covering him and around the flanks. We should play to his strengths not hide them on the bench. -
Joshua Quarshie - Official: Loaned to Strum Graz
gio1saints replied to Saint Scott's topic in The Saints
“Smashie” has got a nice ring to it. Can see me giving that some airtime at SMS if he scores or indeed, smashes somebody. If Bree can get an element of grunting BREE guttural noise sounds to emit from the stands when he touches the ball I’m sure “Smashie, Smashie “ ad infinitum has got a hope. Reminds of marvel comics Hulks slogan : “ Hulk Smash” or “hulk smash puny humans!” Can’t wait. Probably going to be more fun than the actual football by miles. -
Joshua Quarshie - Official: Loaned to Strum Graz
gio1saints replied to Saint Scott's topic in The Saints
Pretty much what I warned RM and JS of last season but failed to monetise that knowledge. The number of shirt pulls- which has become our signature yellow card - we will be receiving this season plus JQ Smashie and Flynn “give me a yellow” Downes in the team means I shall be keeping a close eye on card spreads all season- looking to buy if priced incorrectly (imo of course). -
Joshua Quarshie - Official: Loaned to Strum Graz
gio1saints replied to Saint Scott's topic in The Saints
Great interview in the Daily Echo. First time I’ve ever heard one of our players quoted as saying “ I want to win every fucking tackle”. This guy is going to be the heartbeat of the Saints renaissance! Got winner DNA. Superstar material. “Quarshie Smashie” needs to be a feature on here - how many opponents can he smash this season ( or put more correctly how many tackles he wins) Depends on if he plays but I’m going overall for 1.5 players per match get Quarshie smashed. Players QS’d can be put in a special Championship smashed Hall of Fame. Spreadex are quoting 35-40 smashes for the season which is bit mingy and you should buy imo as I’d say nearer 60 cos I think he will play a lot, smash a lot. 😁🙏 -
That this €10m figure has been outed by Hamburg is a good sign. IF he ever comes good he might be a €50m+ world class CB. A 20% sell on clause when we unload him for not very much could be a result for both sides. A deal to be made I reckon.
-
More pace more height less experience more talk and, importantly, more higher ceiling on his potential. Can you imagine trying to get the ball off him once he’s reached speed???? If he is allowed to smash through the centre of the park with the ball ( which he won’t) it would be like a battering ram from Game of Thrones! He seems to have self belief about himself and what I’ve most liked is his propensity to open his mouth and play enforcer if needs be. About time we had another player willing and able to bully other teams instead of other way around. He likes a challenge for sure. V happy with him so far
-
Just testing who is reading and what’s the knowledge like lol. I do not endorse his policies but the gist is that I like it when we play cosmic alien football. It’s like a massively rare event, an eclipse of the Sun or a fancy meteorite shower - compared to so many seasons of average mediocrity. I can appreciate that even if it was versus lower opposition and that we were terrible in the EPL. Does not mean when it was glorious should be forgotten about. Or who the Manager responsible for it was. We by now all know the bad and the ugly- but let’s not forget there was also some good under RM!
-
Except when we score after a move in which everyone on our team pretty much touches the ball from goalie to back of the opposition net…🥰 I can remember some brilliant goals that made me swell with pride but then again I’d rather a flash of brilliance than a season of mediocrity or as my great friend once said “ better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep”. 🤣
-
We scored 91 goals in our promotion year - the year of the most turgid football of the last 65 years for some fans. But yeah he’s a bad Manager.
-
Incredible that so many people lack the mental capacity to understand what he’s saying there. If Klopp said it would it be something g to vilify him with? Liverpool 0–1 Inter Milan (March 2022 – lost on the night but advanced) 🗣️ “It’s not that I’m over the moon but I’m really happy because, especially in the first half, I liked our game a lot.” Even when his team lost, Klopp focused on good phases of play and energy levels. 🧠 Why does Klopp do this? He’s focused on building confidence and resilience. Klopp often uses losses as teaching moments rather than scolding. It’s part of his man-management style — defending the team outwardly while correcting internally. Easy to find other example of “ proper” top managers who have said pretty much the same thing. It’s not the sign of a bad or stupid manager that done make him out to be. Other stuff he said or did- maybe- but that quote-desperation time using that.
