The Grand National

mickn

I go every year - meet up with my old uni flatmates there because we studied at Liverpool Uni.

In the last 12 years, I've backed the winner of "the nash" on 4 occassions (including 3 years in a row) despite knowing very little about horse racing. I only place 1 or 2 bets on the big race and it's the only horse racing I bet on all year... what a mug's game! ;)

As for tips for the day, we always go in the Tattersalls which is decent and not too expensive. Get to Aintree early and walk the course, you can take photos right up next to the famous parts of the course (Beechers, Canal Turn, Melling Road etc.) The parade ground is worth a visit too, if you can get into that bit from the County Stand. Interesting to see the horses wandering round before the race - if you see one of them take a big dump, then they're worth a flutter! :)

There are often long queues for the lavs, particularly inbetween races, so be prepared for a long wait (or go during the less important races!) Same at the bars.

I'm sure you'll have a cracking time!

I go every year - meet up with my old uni flatmates there because we studied at Liverpool Uni.

In the last 12 years, I've backed the winner of "the nash" on 4 occassions (including 3 years in a row) despite knowing very little about horse racing. I only place 1 or 2 bets on the big race and it's the only horse racing I bet on all year... what a mug's game! ;)

As for tips for the day, we always go in the Tattersalls which is decent and not too expensive. Get to Aintree early and walk the course, you can take photos right up next to the famous parts of the course (Beechers, Canal Turn, Melling Road etc.) The parade ground is worth a visit too, if you can get into that bit from the County Stand. Interesting to see the horses wandering round before the race - if you see one of them take a big dump, then they're worth a flutter! :)

There are often long queues for the lavs, particularly inbetween races, so be prepared for a long wait (or go during the less important races!) Same at the bars.

I'm sure you'll have a cracking time!

Cheers for that, weather's looking promising as well

Couple of other things I just remembered...

Security is very tight, a bit like airport security - walk-thru metal detectors, put metal objects in clear plastic bags etc. - so be careful not to take anything "dodgy" in with you. There are usually police with sniffer dogs patrolling inside. I once got frisked by 4 armed police (sub-machine guns, bullet-proof vests, the works!) Fortunately, they stopped short of a full cavity search! I had the last laugh though, won over £100 on the big race later that afternoon! :supz:

Weather wise, it can get very windy at the race course, even in and around the "stadium" sections. If it's sunny, it can be a great day, but if it clouds over and the wind picks up, it's worth having a jacket with you... forgive me for soundling like a parent!:(