Gillingham Away

JRM

King of the Gypsies is Bartley Gorman.

The Gypsie massiah is burried in Wyck Rissington Glos.

My great grandad used to be the best wart healer in warwickshire, my grandad was a bare knuckle champion of the midlands and my dad used to nick lead of church roofs.

My sister is called Violet, her mum was Peggy and my uncle used to deal in horses at Stow fair.

I eat badgers and hedgehogs and can whistle any Tom Jones song ever made, and I once held the record for most wins with my man chicken (16 undefeated fights)

My middle name is Appleby.

King of the Gypsies is Bartley Gorman.

The Gypsie massiah is burried in Wyck Rissington Glos.

My great grandad used to be the best wart healer in warwickshire, my grandad was a bare knuckle champion of the midlands and my dad used to nick lead of church roofs.

My sister is called Violet, her mum was Peggy and my uncle used to deal in horses at Stow fair.

I eat badgers and hedgehogs and can whistle any Tom Jones song ever made, and I once held the record for most wins with my man chicken (16 undefeated fights)

My middle name is Appleby.

Brad Pitt based his character in Snatch on me, I have a melancholy feeling when in one place too long.

There may be some truth to your words however I feel that you may both be confusing Google facts with REAL facts; the current King of the Gypsies is actually none other than Joe Longthorne. I am happy to be proven wring on this as my qualifications only go as far as marrying a part gypsy girl. a couple of generations back one married a bare-knuckle fighter who also had in his family of travelling showmen an escapologist and fortune teller. Proper Chatham girl she is.

All above true facts and I am rightly proud to be associated to this wonderful (or should that be wander-ful) race of people.

At the risk of repeating myslef (I never tire of telling this fact) many years ago when Watling Street passed through north Kent a group of Gypsy folki settled at the turnpike just south of the River Medway. Trade there was good and in the summer months many many years later the families would sell produce from the farms of The Weald, they could camp on higher shelterd ground in the winter months. The term 'Pikey' comes from this turnpike settlement.

Interesting fact for those driving up on Saturday is that if you come off the M" and drop down to the A2 (watling Street) drive a short way further than you need to about 50 yards past Canterbury Street. You'll find a John Barrasss pub named The Old Ash Tree. The road on the left is called Ash Tree Lane and is the ACTUAL road in these photos.

Gypsycamp.jpg

AshTreeLane1969.jpg

And my favourite pic..

AshTreeLaneGypsies.jpg

Actually I would recomend the Old Ash Tree as it sells decent real ale and does some cracking cheap meal deals.

hth.

PS

Be nice to Gypsies and they may just surprise yo and be nice back, be genuine mind.

Actually I would recomend the Old Ash Tree as it sells decent real ale and does some cracking cheap meal deals.

hth.

Cheers Hamster, the landlord probably owes you a pint or 2, took our minibus there, the food was great. Only had London Pride on pump but didn't matter to me, I was driving!

Thanks for that Hunty.

I'm now thinking about serting up a website for away fans.....

.....oh!

From what I've been hearing actually, there were in fact no bad pubs to found in Gillingham on Saturday.