Demographics

SuperMikey

I was wondering today, what kind of demographics do you think that the political parties cater for?

In my mind it's something like:

Conservative - Upper/Middle Class, Older People

Labour - Lower/Middle Class, Middle Aged People

Lib Dem - Lower/Middle Class, Young People

Of course, this is pigeonholing of the nth degree, but having talked with friends, neighbours, family members, teachers etc I can see clear demographics and clear differences in political opinion between different social classes. Almost every single one of my friends (aged 18-20) say that they're voting Lib Dem, whereas most of my teachers (28-50) say they're undecided between Labour and Tory. Almost all of my neighbours (40-60+) say that they're voting Tory.

I'm sure this is hardly a groundbreaking observation, just something that i've picked up in the last few weeks. Everybody knows that the Conservatives cater for the upper classes and Labour tries to make council flat mum's believe that they understand what they're going through, it's just interesting to see it in action. Anyone else noticed this kind of trend amongst their peers?

Too sweeping a generalisation, Mikey, IMO

For example:

My two daughters (middle class, I guess, since they're 'professional') support Labour.

Many 'working class' people vote Tory.

Some 'upper middle class' (think barristers, doctors etc.) vote Labour.

Sometimes it's about philosophies. I don't thnk it's about class any more.

For example:

My two daughters (middle class, I guess, since they're 'professional') support Labour.

That's the key IMO, they used to be aimed at and supported by these specific demographics, but now it's a free for all.

That's the key IMO' date=' they used to be aimed at and supported by these specific demographics, but now it's a free for all.[/quote']

Easy access to media channels has enhanced that too. In a weird sense people have the opportunity to be better informed on tap, although not many utilise it IMO.

For example:

I worked at one local factory where we were all very well paid. All struggling with homes and families yet the majority of them were out and out Tory because 'we're paid a good wage which makes us middle class'. No thoughts of how fellow working men, on p!55 poor salaries, would cope with Tory policies.

A distinct lack of philosophy there I reckon.