A golf question........

Smirking_Saint

My handicap would have to the max as I really am not v good and have only ever played 9 holes, guess that would equate to 14 for a 9-hole?

I used the scoring system from Wiki to work it out ie:

par 4 + 2 (my h/c) = 6 - I hit 5 = a score of 3? Y/N?

par 3 + 1 (my h/c) = 4 - I hit 6 = a score of 0? Y/N?

What's with all this golf clobber mallarkey anyway, does it improve your stroke? I might stretch to a pair of slacks but draw the line at anything paisley or tartan-like.

It's all on the scorecard mate - Stroke Index. You are on 28 then you get one stroke every hole and one on SI 1 through 8. Important mentally as it makes a Par 5 into a Par 7 quite often and that stops you trying to hit the ball too hard etc etc etc

Golf Gear.

Used to be a pair of slacks and a Polo shirt.

Down here it's 48C at the moment, that means Dri-Fit or Clima Cool only and a change of shirt after 9 holes, suddenly golf gear becomes damned important. You ever jumped in a lake wearing Cotton Clothes? Well, that's what it feels like after the first hole down here. Whole new set of problems.

This time of year with 48C and humidity up at 80% you also need TWO golf gloves to hold the damned club. Otherwise the damned club tends to go further than the ball.

Oh and according to the GF, a nice tight pair of Golf Pants improves her ability to stroke no end, don't help the golf but who cares?

• 2 weeks later...
It's all on the scorecard mate - Stroke Index. You are on 28 then you get one stroke every hole and one on SI 1 through 8. Important mentally as it makes a Par 5 into a Par 7 quite often and that stops you trying to hit the ball too hard etc etc etc

Golf Gear.

Used to be a pair of slacks and a Polo shirt.

Down here it's 48C at the moment, that means Dri-Fit or Clima Cool only and a change of shirt after 9 holes, suddenly golf gear becomes damned important. You ever jumped in a lake wearing Cotton Clothes? Well, that's what it feels like after the first hole down here. Whole new set of problems.

This time of year with 48C and humidity up at 80% you also need TWO golf gloves to hold the damned club. Otherwise the damned club tends to go further than the ball.

Oh and according to the GF, a nice tight pair of Golf Pants improves her ability to stroke no end, don't help the golf but who cares?

A handicap of 28 on stapleford means that you get 1 shot every hole and an extra shot of SI 1 through 10 does it not ??

Anyways, been playing quite well recently, my Iron play and driving (3 wood) have been very good, went out the other day with a mate that plays off of 14 and drives very well with his driver and i kept up with him, generally 30-40 yards behind with my 3 wood, at times out driving him altogether, as usual my putting is letting me down but i am getting decent scores as i am hitting the greens earlier.

Then yesterday rolled around, we had our 2 monthly society (i am trying to push it to monthly) and i felt pretty confident, i got there early, and decided to do some putting practice and did reletively well for me sinking 2 puts on average lengths and even quite a few long putts which for me was pretty good. Even the 3-4 yarders which i generally c*ck up i was putting some with one hand, for me thats showing off !!!!!!

Then i decided to 'bed in' my driving, big mistake, bought 100 balls and literally probably 2 went were i wanted them to go, i was devostated, even my irons were b*llocks. Then i went out and TBH my front 9 was pretty decent for me scoring 13 points, problem was i blobbed the last few holes, i spent one playing pin ball with a couple of trees and when i managed to get it out i landed in a bunker. I purposely played a draw with a 5 wood 1/2 swing around the trees about 100 yards from the pin (low trees and a couple of trunks in the way) it shaped well and i was so chuffed i pulled it off, it then rolled over the hill and into a bunker. The next hole was no better, a poor drive from the tee and then i went on to play some fat topped shots with my usually reliable irons and i think it got into my head.

Back 9 score of a grand total of 3 points, 'sigh' back to the driving range to work on things.

A handicap of 28 on stapleford means that you get 1 shot every hole and an extra shot of SI 1 through 10 does it not ??

Anyways, been playing quite well recently, my Iron play and driving (3 wood) have been very good, went out the other day with a mate that plays off of 14 and drives very well with his driver and i kept up with him, generally 30-40 yards behind with my 3 wood, at times out driving him altogether, as usual my putting is letting me down but i am getting decent scores as i am hitting the greens earlier.

Then yesterday rolled around, we had our 2 monthly society (i am trying to push it to monthly) and i felt pretty confident, i got there early, and decided to do some putting practice and did reletively well for me sinking 2 puts on average lengths and even quite a few long putts which for me was pretty good. Even the 3-4 yarders which i generally c*ck up i was putting some with one hand, for me thats showing off !!!!!!

Then i decided to 'bed in' my driving, big mistake, bought 100 balls and literally probably 2 went were i wanted them to go, i was devostated, even my irons were b*llocks. Then i went out and TBH my front 9 was pretty decent for me scoring 13 points, problem was i blobbed the last few holes, i spent one playing pin ball with a couple of trees and when i managed to get it out i landed in a bunker. I purposely played a draw with a 5 wood 1/2 swing around the trees about 100 yards from the pin (low trees and a couple of trunks in the way) it shaped well and i was so chuffed i pulled it off, it then rolled over the hill and into a bunker. The next hole was no better, a poor drive from the tee and then i went on to play some fat topped shots with my usually reliable irons and i think it got into my head.

Back 9 score of a grand total of 3 points, 'sigh' back to the driving range to work on things.

Mistake.

You should NEVEr go on a driving range to work things out after a bad round.

If the basics are right and you are an average hacker it can be something as simple as rythm/timing that is off by a milli-second.

I regularly shoot a 9 hole 55+ on a Monday and play the same holes on a Wednesday in 42 (or vice versa) it can be anything from a delay at traffic lights getting to the course to an annoying phone call.

Once the fundamentals are there grip stance etc it is all about the rythm so never take a bad round out on the range - you'll just leave your next good round behind

I am back out tomorrow evening (9 hole) and am semi-confident.

DP, would you mind me posting my scores up and you confirming my Slableford score please? I am sure I DDI IT RIGHT THE OTHER WEEK BUT EVEN MY MATE RECKONS I WAS OUT.