Celtic fans......

georgeweahscousin

I wouldn't have a problem if the UN passed a resolution that created offensives against these kinds of government. The action would have to be proportionate though and have a reasonable chance of success.

Obviously you support your stance by ensuring that you do not personally support any of those regimes, and of course boycott all products created in any of them, like most IT, mobiles, flowers, Oil based products.

8)

Invade Sudan - lol - Yanks tried that game next door in Somalia (which is probably a worse regime than Sudan) and they with all their technology got their asses kicked all the way into Hollywood when their Black Hawk went down

For the scum in Jockland? Easy answer, feck off, why the HELL should you have your own Parliament and yet the English cannot. Why the feck should a Jock tell the English what to do as PM?

The Poppy is not about the modern era. It is about remembering the MILLIONS who died in all wars simce 1914-18 so that those morons could actually GO AND WATCH football.

(Oops sorry that was a bit strong, it is SPL so I was wrong)

It ain't real football

I'm not trying to twist anything, merely positing another angle for people to think about. My view is that raising money for people who need help is generally a good thing. I also feel the value of "remembrance" is somewhat undermined by surrounding it with militaristic pomp and circumstance which only underlines our propensity to keep subjecting people to the **** of war ad infinitum; unless of course you believe our current wars are just, in which case it makes perfect sense. That is the point - pure remembrance does not need mass ostentation which can only ever be inherently political.

I'm not trying to offend and not saying people should not choose to participate in the appeal if they wish.

And simply saying something is "politically correct" is hardly a devastating argument.

Benji, sometimes you say some sensible things but somtimes you come out with such sanctimonious supposed intellectual claptrap I wonder what world you live in. Ask 99.9% of people who buy a poppy and they will tell you it is to demonstrate emotional and financial support for families of bereaved soldiers, injured soldiers and rememberance. It has been thus for donkeys years and should continue so and does not in any way imply support for the recent forays by the last Labour administration. People need to grow up and most of all have respect for all those who have made these sacrifices.

Are the British Legion's coffers being effected by the younger generation's propensity towards the newer 'sexier' Help for Heroes charity I wonder?

I guess only time will tell, but I think a lot of people think of them as the same thing. I have a poppy collection tin in my shop every year, so far this year there seems to be more people putting money in than recent years. Also more kids seem interested in what it's about rather than just asking mum or Dad a poppy because it's there. Also had 2 French women come in purely to buy poppies because they'd seen the sticker in the window, they fully understood what it represented.

The poppy means peaceful, apolitical remembrance of the victims of wars to us in England, yes, but it comes with more baggage in Northern Ireland and parts of Scotland; there, like everything else, it just gets used as another excuse for republicans/loyalists to wind each other up with the same old childish sectarian fascist sh*t. So whilst I don't agree with the actions of the Celtic fans (just be the bigger man FFS) there is more logic behind their actions than appears from the point of view of us in England.