Drunk drivers

Master Bates

I'm ashamed to admit I lost my license back in 1992 but I was a slightly irresponsible 19 year old at the time.

I got caught on the old 'morning after' rap. I got pulled for having a defective rear light at about 7 in the morning and I'd had a few beers the night before and the copper smelt it on my breath.

I was only just over but it taught me a valuable lesson about driving too early the day after a bender!

As for affecting my job it wasn't an issue as I just caught the bus or got a lift! The worst bit was the 12 month loss of independance and having to spend the year after I got my license back catching up on all the lifts I owed my mates!

I admire your honesty SOB, anyone else? Come on don't be shy

To be honest MB I've always felt very hard done by as it wasn't as though I made a concious decision to get in a car and drive, knowing I was p*$$ed. I can guarentee that virtually every driver on here has done what I did and quite a few probably will do this weekend.

You just don't realise how long you stay over the limit for. I remember I didn't even feel hung over at the time!

At least it's made me very careful about getting in the car too early at weekends.

FWIW MB no I haven't

But a long time ago this place had no actual DD law. They had no mechanism to stop you, the rule was simply IF you had an accident AND had been drinking THEN you were jailed. So in the old days when the roads were much quieter than now everyone used to lurch home in a horrific mess, and if the cops pulled you over - they'd drive you AND your car home.

As the city grew, this policy started to cause carnage on the roads. It is one thing to be drunk and aware of it and stupid to get in a car and have reaction times shot to hell but quite another to be completely unaware of what the booze has done to you and to suddenly be superman in a $250k ferrari....

So they passed a new rule. There is now a ZERO alcohol limit. If you have an accident OR if you drive erratically then with ANY alcohol at all in your system it is an automatic US$1000 fine, an automatic one month in jail (which means shaven head)

If you do it twice you are deported. If you do not have an Alcohol licence then they add an extra month

And while it has helped, the number of "idiots: who blindly think "it is the same as the UK" still get caught and it hasn't stopped the Asian population drinking a bottle of Chivas Regal and driving home in their Mercedes.

I'm ashamed to admit I lost my license back in 1992 but I was a slightly irresponsible 19 year old at the time.

I got caught on the old 'morning after' rap. I got pulled for having a defective rear light at about 7 in the morning and I'd had a few beers the night before and the copper smelt it on my breath.

I was only just over but it taught me a valuable lesson about driving too early the day after a bender!

As for affecting my job it wasn't an issue as I just caught the bus or got a lift! The worst bit was the 12 month loss of independance and having to spend the year after I got my license back catching up on all the lifts I owed my mates!

I thought you were a lot older - sorry. :(

I thought you were a lot older - sorry. :(

So did I when in fact he is a year younger than me :shock:

Anyway SOB, my bf did the same thing a few years back (before I knew him), 12 month ban, attend a course to get his licence back etc. It definately makes you think twice the morning after

To be honest MB I've always felt very hard done by as it wasn't as though I made a concious decision to get in a car and drive, knowing I was p*$$ed. I can guarentee that virtually every driver on here has done what I did and quite a few probably will do this weekend.

You just don't realise how long you stay over the limit for. I remember I didn't even feel hung over at the time!

At least it's made me very careful about getting in the car too early at weekends.

A few years ago a friend of mine had a doctors appointment first thing in the morning. The night before we had been out drinking. Knowing that he had this appointment he went easier than usual on the booze. At the end of the appointment, the doctor who could tell that my mate had been drinking the night before asked if he want to take a breathaliser test just to see what the result was. He was still more than 2 times over the limit! He woke up and felt fine and had no problem with getting in his car. Had he been pulled over he could have lost his licence. You really have to be carefull the night after drinking any alcohol.

So did I when in fact he is a year younger than me :shock:

Anyway SOB, my bf did the same thing a few years back (before I knew him), 12 month ban, attend a course to get his licence back etc. It definately makes you think twice the morning after

Boooo. Another insult! I was lucky because I was caught prior to it being deemed a criminal offence. It was just a driving offence then hence I got a 12 month ban and a £230 fine. No courses or anything required for me.

Thinking back quite a few years ago I realise how lucky I was not

to have been caught by the morning after thing. I was so so stupid a few

times.

Over here DD is hated but with weak laws such as in the article below I do despair at times

From the NZ Govt Land Transport website:-

Drink-driving is considered a serious offence and carries tough penalties, especially for repeat offenders. Third and subsequent offenders face maximum fines of $6,000, prison terms of up to two years, and a one year minimum disqualification from driving.

If you cause injury or death while drink-driving, you can be fined up to $10,000 for driving carelessly while under the influence (no breath or blood test needed); and up to $20,000 where a breath or blood-alcohol test shows you were over the limit.

Detained at home for repeat drunk-driving

COURT DIGEST

A WESTERN Bay man caught driving drunk twice in three months, and who already had three prior convictions for drink driving and three for refusing to give blood, will be imprisoned in his own home for nine months.

Brian Rikirangi, 47, who earlier pleaded guilty to two charges of driving with an excess breath alcohol, one charge each of driving while forbidden and giving police false details and breach of bail, was sentenced in Tauranga District Court yesterday.

Judge Christopher Harding told Rikirangi that he was teetering on the edge of a prison sentence.

Rikirangi was disqualified from driving for two years and is subject to a raft of special release conditions for six months after his home detention ends, including him attending drug and alcohol counselling.

Lost licence in 2004 for 20 months.

Lost well paid job, lost house, split up with partner, lost newnew car, lost work friends.

Shamed family......... I could go on

9 months on anti depressents.

I do not recommend to anyone.

All over now but never goes away.