Windows laptop v Mac

Thedelldays

going to get one today..My Mac is very very slow on the net and it has been well used. either way time to invest in a new machine

just had a quick glance on PC world site and some of the windows machines are very powerful for £300 less than a mac.

then again, with my current mac (the old white one with 2g ram 160g hard drive) has had little/no problems with viruses etc

advice please

(i will be buying it from the shop so not interested in ordering online)

Edited by Thedelldays

A bit more info about what you need it might help. For example if it was mainly for web browsing then you could go for a google chrome book which is very resistant to viruses, quick to book but does not run anything but a chrome browser. Fairly cheap and also low virus risk is to buy a windows laptop, download a linux distro and install that in place of windows.

it will be for home use

the odd bit of word/power point

football manager and the other odd game

and deffo internet - browsing/downloading etc

Well the footie manager and other bits and bobs exclude linux/chrome. Depends really on how worried you are about viruses really (not that mac's are virus free). If you could wait Windows 8 coming fairly soon is supposed to be more secure against a number of threats.

well, got a windows laptop and hate it

got a 'beats audio' HP thingy....blows my nearly 4 year old battered macbook out of the water spec wise but it is horrifically slow

I assume they will let me take it back in the morning/exchange it pay the extra for a new mac...?

good lads at comet...allowed me to return the laptop to pay the extra and have a nice new macbook pro...

now these are simply awesome machines

+1 - I just got the £999 13 inch macbook pro with Lion and it is amazing. So fast and so nice to work on. I don't think I will ever go back to Windows now. Like you say, you can get a Windows laptop with the same or even better spec for less, but a good spec on paper is useless if the OS doesnt make best use of it. You dont need an amazing spec on a macbook because they just work so much better.

+1 - I just got the £999 13 inch macbook pro with Lion and it is amazing. So fast and so nice to work on. I don't think I will ever go back to Windows now. Like you say' date=' you can get a Windows laptop with the same or even better spec for less, but a good spec on paper is useless if the OS doesnt make best use of it. You dont need an amazing spec on a macbook because they just work so much better.[/quote']

have to say, it is a brilliant bit of kit.

sleek, smooth and quick

love it