Windows Automatic Updates

Scudamore

I had the a computer at home with no internet connection and thus none of that rubbish...consequently it ran absolutely fine...my work one on the other hands is a pain in the t:ts...i blame the updates...

They're even annoying when you turn them off...

Yep - I've just wasted half an hour whilst my trusty old steed updates.

I should have done it when first prompted because, by not doing so, it interfered with the 'spooling' for my printer, whatever that means!

I hate the way it just shuts down if you don't catch the message (because you're away from your machine).

I had the a computer at home with no internet connection and thus none of that rubbish...consequently it ran absolutely fine...my work one on the other hands is a pain in the t:ts...i blame the updates...

They're even annoying when you turn them off...

Yes, but you can set Windows to provide only a pop-up advice bubble that a download is available. Hence, no update, and it won't even download.

And there is a way of disabling the pop-up bubble too. But I can't remember how. Look it up.

You do realise I've almost made this thread nerdy enough to transfer it into the appropriate techy forum. ;)

Yes, but you can set Windows to provide only a pop-up advice bubble that a download is available. Hence, no update, and it won't even download.

And there is a way of disabling the pop-up bubble too. But I can't remember how. Look it up.

You do realise I've almost made this thread nerdy enough to transfer it into the appropriate techy forum. ;)

If i could disable the pop up bubbles (preferably with a pick axe to the spine) then i would be happy...

Found what I was looking for. Usually the trick is to download TweakUI for XP, where there is a box to tick and switch off the advice balloons, but you can do this in the registry [if TweakUI is installed]:

edit this registry dword to a value of "0"..

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced "enableballoontips"

And children don't try this at home.

Edited by St Landrew

Thanks to Scudamore for reminding me of something I should have done long ago. For a TweakUI for XP download, go here:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakui.htm

Nerdy note: Tweak UI Version 2.10 requires Windows XP Service Pack 1 or above / Windows Server 2003. If you have a Windows XP system without any Service Packs installed, download Version 2.00.

Click on my TweakUI pic below. What a lovely sight.

TweakUI balloon tips.jpg