Slow PC

Crouchie's Lawyer

Hi guys,

I am not very tech minded so thought I would ask on here to see if anyone could help me.

My laptop is only around 6 months old. I have McAfee protection on here (albeit I think I have been unprotected for a little while as I have only recently got this) but do not really use my laptop for anything like downloading music, mainly just work stuff which is a web based remote system.

For some reason over the last month or so, it has been really slow? Mainly on the internet (although this has nothing to do with my internet speed as my phone is fine on wifi). The computer seems to constantly freeze for a few seconds before loading something and if I click whilst it is thinking it comes up with 'not responding' in brackets next to the header at the top of the page (windows internet explorer) albeit only temporarily before it seems to kick in and direct me where I want to go (rather than remain not responding).

I have noticed a couple of times when I have shut the computer down that it says there are programs in the background running which have not been propoerly closed and gives me the option to force close them but it rectifies this automatically within a few seconds and shuts down on its own accord without me clicking on anything. Dont know if this has anything to do with it as I always close every program down (I can see) when I shut it down?

I have scanned my laptop for viruses but cant seem to find anything and do not think I am using anywhere near the full memory capacity so cannot gathom why it is running slow?

Any ideas?

Check the plugins you have enabled in IE. I assume it's IE 9 you're using? If so just go into internet options, programs and then Manage add ons.

Try reducing the add ons that are running.

My bet is that Mcafee has installed some sort of IE plugin which isn't working correctly.

Another thing worth trying is a spyware scan, using something like Malware bytes.

Thanks guys, I will try the above. I am just upgrading to IE 9 (was using a previous version).

How do I tell if McAfee has installed a IE plug in which isnt working correctly then?

And pardon my ignorance but where would I get Malware bytes from and does it cost?

Try installing IE 9 first, the plugin mcafee has installed might not like the version of IE you are using.

Basically how I would check if it isn't working correctly is to disable it (I'm assuming Mcafee total protection creates an IE addon, as i've never used it myself) - by going into the IE manage add ons section. Re open IE with it then disabled and see if you still have the problem, if you don't...then it's something to do with the Mcafee plugin and it may be worth just doing a reinstall of the mcafee package. (but saying that, try IE 9 first as that may fix it)

Google malware bytes, it's a freeware download - no cost at all.