The Great South Run

Colinjb

yep im aiming for the brighton half on 17 Feb, or reading half on 2nd march. although my brother reckons i should do both!

Nice one Keith.

I'm in for Reading, but saw something a few weeks ago saying not to delay as it's filling up quickly. It's 6 weeks before my marathon so will be a better indicator of where I'm at than yesterday was.

Nice one Keith.

I'm in for Reading, but saw something a few weeks ago saying not to delay as it's filling up quickly. It's 6 weeks before my marathon so will be a better indicator of where I'm at than yesterday was.

The preparation "classic" for a decent marathon is a 20 miler about 5 weeks before the big event. That's why there are so many of them just before the London. You can try to do it by halves though, the best formula being a doublet at 7 weeks and then 4 weeks. You'll find all this stuff in your usual Bruce Tulloh training plans, don't know if you still get them in Runners World though, should be still available on line somwhere or other . The fact that you're "tempo running" already which is a Tullohsian term tells me you might already have one though. Always used Tulloh plans myself although I know him slightly, he was coaching Jeremy Barton (and Nerukar) at Oxford and Jem's an aquaintance of mine.

i did it in 2 hours 25 minutes, about 7-8 mins ahead of my target. i cant believe how much difference there is between a 10 mile and a 13 mile, unbelievable difference. i was cruising til about 10 and half, the last 2 ans a half were a real struggle but i kept my pace. was doing about 11 minute 10 second miles most of the way, which is a quicker pace than my plan but felt quite comfortable. really felt it last night and today, and have quite a swollen tummy as well. enjoyed it though, and we have raised over £4,000 which really kept me going the last 2 miles.

felt like a more serious event than the GSR, less fun runners, but equally not so much of a buzz from it. felt like a bit of an anti climax at the end, maybe just because id done so much hard training, and it was a bit of an after thought as the GSR was the main thing for me this year. im so pleased i finished, i learnt a lot that i can take into next year

I might have seen you and Jack there as was cheering on my daughter - she did 2hr 08 but had hoped for about 1 hr 50 but got a new PB by 9 mins still but nerves meant she couldn't eat much before and told towards the end. Well done total admiration for you.

The preparation "classic" for a decent marathon is a 20 miler about 5 weeks before the big event. That's why there are so many of them just before the London. You can try to do it by halves though, the best formula being a doublet at 7 weeks and then 4 weeks. You'll find all this stuff in your usual Bruce Tulloh training plans, don't know if you still get them in Runners World though, should be still available on line somwhere or other . The fact that you're "tempo running" already which is a Tullohsian term tells me you might already have one though. Always used Tulloh plans myself although I know him slightly, he was coaching Jeremy Barton (and Nerukar) at Oxford and Jem's an aquaintance of mine.

I'm (roughly) following the Hal Higden Advanced 1 training plan. Plenty of long runs in the buildup to the marathon - there are three 20 mile runs in that. That plan had a HM race 8 or 9 weeks prior to the Marathon, but I'd already booked Reading prior to deciding on that plan, so moved things around slightly. I still get all the long runs and easier weeks in the right places, and allow a good 3 week taper before the Marathon.

I've never heard of those Tulloh plans, I'm halfway through P&D Advanced Marathoning though and there's loads of good stuff in there. The science behind nutrition & hydration is really interesting. I thought I was pretty clued up but have learnt a lot.

A couple of people have asked if I should be aiming as high as I am, but I didn't see the sense in starting a training program at a lower level/mileage than I'm already at. I'm running 25+ miles a week as it is, this Hal Higden one starts at 30 and peaks at 50ish. No point in going back to a novice marathon plan.

I'm (roughly) following the Hal Higden Advanced 1 training plan. Plenty of long runs in the buildup to the marathon - there are three 20 mile runs in that. That plan had a HM race 8 or 9 weeks prior to the Marathon, but I'd already booked Reading prior to deciding on that plan, so moved things around slightly. I still get all the long runs and easier weeks in the right places, and allow a good 3 week taper before the Marathon.

I've never heard of those Tulloh plans, I'm halfway through P&D Advanced Marathoning though and there's loads of good stuff in there. The science behind nutrition & hydration is really interesting. I thought I was pretty clued up but have learnt a lot.

A couple of people have asked if I should be aiming as high as I am, but I didn't see the sense in starting a training program at a lower level/mileage than I'm already at. I'm running 25+ miles a week as it is, this Hal Higden one starts at 30 and peaks at 50ish. No point in going back to a novice marathon plan.

Indeed, if you've run 1h40 for a half you could be looking at around 3h35 for a clean run marathon although you'll not get that at London. You can run a 3hr marathon off 50 miles a week if the training is right.