Windows 8

SO16_Saint

yes - used the developer and consumer previews - hate it! It will be very good for touch screens, but it doesn't lend itself well to being used with a mouse. Lots of people who get their new PCs next year will be frustrated trying to find anything familiar about it to begin with. Its all still there but hidden.

yes - used the developer and consumer previews - hate it! It will be very good for touch screens, but it doesn't lend itself well to being used with a mouse. Lots of people who get their new PCs next year will be frustrated trying to find anything familiar about it to begin with. Its all still there but hidden.

Just like the latest versions of Excel and Word then. F**king infuriating.

I've had it on my laptop for months and its fine. You can change everything back to how you expect it to be if you want, and some of the little changes improve its functionality quite nicely.

As usual though there will be a hoard of ignorant morons who **** and moan about change, and after a few months realise it is so much better than what went before. (vista excepted!)

I've had it on my laptop for months and its fine. You can change everything back to how you expect it to be if you want, and some of the little changes improve its functionality quite nicely.

As usual though there will be a hoard of ignorant morons who **** and moan about change, and after a few months realise it is so much better than what went before. (vista excepted!)

That's fine, but why do Microsoft assume most PC users are morons? Generally users are far more savvy than they were 15-20 years ago, yet they want to dumb things down. Surely they learned the lesson with Vista when W7 was introduced. Why not have the default setting as being open and usable, instead of being closed and controlled. If people want that environment, they can always buy a mac.

That's fine, but why do Microsoft assume most PC users are morons? Generally users are far more savvy than they were 15-20 years ago, yet they want to dumb things down. Surely they learned the lesson with Vista when W7 was introduced. Why not have the default setting as being open and usable, instead of being closed and controlled. If people want that environment, they can always buy a mac.

I believe that considering the success of the Apple OS and related products in recent times, they are simply going with the market trends....

I believe that considering the success of the Apple OS and related products in recent times, they are simply going with the market trends....

I believe on first boot you will be able to choose your preferred lay out. Having that touch centric metro layout on a desktop, for use with a mouse, is a pants idea, pretty as it might be.

It will be great to use with touch, however. Will be great to see what people do with it on tablets given Microsofts more open ended approach to software development on their platforms, rather than the all seeing eye that is Apple.