How do you use your Tablet?

Pugwash

Firstly, this is not about which tablet is best, so no Android/iPad/Playbook comparisons please. Having tried them all, to me they all do similar things with varying degrees of success. The question is more about the concept.

I was prompted to pose this question after watching one of those new BT ads - the one with the girl sharing the flat with two lads and the nerdy one takes her to the local Wi-Fi hotspot so that she can do her Uni work. She's using a tablet that seems to be showing a video of sheep wandering around a field! WTF?

I've been trying to convince myself that they are more than simply cool planks for web browsing, but can't find any justification for using them to do serious work or even serious leisure activities. They seem to be 'Jacks-of all-trades, Masters-of-none'. If I want to do screen work, they're too small. Not powerful enough for serious work. I couldn't tap-type on a hard screen for too long and if I want to watch a movie or listen to music, it's the last device I'd choose. Yes they're mobile, but if I need to do a quick email, my phone's good enough. Anything more and I can open up my laptop for a proper, quicker job.

So, are they essential pieces of technology for the workplace and home? Or simply 'nice to have' jewellery to tote at your local?

I use mine as a mobile communications device. It does everything that I would need (web browsing, messaging, facebook and all the other comms stuff) and fits conveniently in my case when travelling. I do use the MS Office equivalent to view presentations and edit excel spreadsheets now and then, but quite infrequently.

I don't use it for gaming (I have an Xbox 360 for that) and I don't use it for photography or anything like that. Apps are not of any real interest, I just want a mobile thing that allows for full web browsing on the go, or anywhere I may end up. (In bed, in a bar in Malta, anywhere.)

So yes, the PC is the master, but my tablet provides an extremely capable travel/portable companion. It surely won't be long until they are bang on the money.

I use mine for pretty much everything and it is becoming more 'essential' as time goes on, I could cope without it now but I wouldn't want to.

I use mine above the PC for

Web Browsing

Email

IM /Facetime

Taking notes in meetings/lectures- which then syncs with all my other devices, allowing me to see the notes from anywhere

Presentations

Checklists

Music and Videos

Calendar and appointments

Notes

Musical scaore /guitar tab

Games

Reading books

Watching TV

TBH I could go on ,astonoshing really that in only 2 years it has changed the way I do pretty much everything - I bought it as a toy because I like shiny new things but it has become a very very useful tool

I mainly use mine at home for web browsing, word processing, games, hooked up to my stereo to use Google Music.

It really comes into its own when I travel though. I do a lot of intercontinental flights over 10 hours and my laptop, which is extremely powerful also has the downside that the battery doesn't last longer than 2-3 hours. As my Transformer battery can do up to 16 hours when docked I can get a lot more work done, movies watched, music consumed etc. I have just got a Blackberry Playbook through the App Developers offer RIM had on for Android developers so I will be testing that out on y next trip. Its a bit more portable than the 10.1 inch Transformer.

My wife uses the transformer for most of the things she used to use a laptop for. It is instantly on, unlike booting a PC. She only uses her laptop for long school lesson planning sessions.

Thanks for your input everyone. Couple of things coming out of your responses that I've picked up on.

Communications seems a big thing I guess, particularly if you're into social media/networking, IM, or video phoning. Whilst I understand that this may appeal at a certain level, I've found great reluctance to use these seriously for business, so not any advantage over what I can do with my phone. Note-taking would be useful - have used similar on my smartphone. However the leisure-type activities are all things that I would generally do in a more relaxed environment where I have access to better tools for each activity, i.e. PC, TV, Kindle, etc. So will a tablet really change the way you do everything, or simply be a convenient way to browse the web?

Interesting comment regarding portability. The larger devices (iPad, Galaxy Tab 10.1) aren't particularly comfortable to use when mobile. I ended up cradling them in my arm, to use the touchscreen and it felt clumsy. The smaller 7"-9" devices can be held in one hand, but of course the screen size is compromised.

I know I'm playing Devil's Advocate a bit, but if I'm going to fork out £500 or so, I need to be able to justify it to myself. So all opinions appreciated!

I know I'm playing Devil's Advocate a bit, but if I'm going to fork out £500 or so, I need to be able to justify it to myself. So all opinions appreciated!

Yeah, I didn't. I couldn't justify that, £200 quid on the other hand was far more reasonable.

As for really changing the way I use technology, not really. It just makes it more convenient to do. Knowing that I can have SaintsPlayer anyway is quite a relief for trips with work.

We are able to get access to our internal mail and calendars (lotus notes) at work through both Android and iOS devices and quite a few people make use of it. Unfortunately, both platforms have security issues when trying to meet our internal security standards so we don't get full internet access - unless we use a Playbook connected through a Blackberry device using Bridge.

It cost about £400 for the Transformer including the Dock - which we use most of the time as it gives you full keyboard access, as well as standard usb port for a mouse. The Playbook is a lovely little device - and surprisingly it doesn't feel like a huge compromise over a 9.7" iPad or 10.1" Transformer. You do however compromise on the App quality

I cannot recommend the Playbook highly enough, I love mine.

Ditto.

I bought mine as a toy, but it's kind of attatched to me now. It does everything i want. it to do.

I can browse the net wherever, view attachments etc, edit documents, view email etc..

It's more useful than I thought it would be!

I'm also now waiting for an Ipad3 which work have ordered for all of us, free of charge. How awesome is that....best of both worlds!